Parenting after 35

Children's books

I have to thank Mommyatty for the inspiration with her cute post about the Pete the Cat books.  I am going to look them up after I am done posting here.  For those of you that enjoy reading books to your child/children what books would you recommend?  I am always looking for new books for both kiddos.  We do stories every night and she even asks to bring books to bed and in the car when we go places so we consume a lot of literature around here.  I'm getting sick of reading the same old stories.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Karma Wilson Bear books (Bear Wants More, Bear Feels Scared etc) the illustrations are so stinkin cute and the books are fun to read.

The Pigeon series from Mo Williems is a big hit in our house

And Sandra Boynton books have always been a favorite as well.  Blue Hat, Green Hat is the latest obsession here.  

Suggestions Please :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Children's books

• I recently discovered that DS loves the Llama Llama books by Anna Dewdney.

DS also really enjoyed Snail Trail and Ten Seeds written and illustrated by Ruth Brown. I also loved these.

I'll have to check out the Karma Wilson books.

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• I am a huge fan of reading to your children at all ages. I absolutely love Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein. Sandra Boynton is a hit with me as well. Mercer Meyer books are really cute too, and Maurice Sendak.

Right now since we are on board books we are reading The Very Hungry Catapillar, But Not the Hippopotamus, Baby Cakes, and some touchy feely books.

I have tons of books from being a nanny. I have a big collection of Serendipity books. I also have a collection of Frog and Toad.

When she can pay attention a bit longer I'm going to be reading Guess How Much I Love You, Dr. Seuss's ABCs, On The Night You Were Born and Cows That Type. I have board books for all of those.

I really enjoy discovering books. Every time we go to Once Upon a Child, I look through the book section. I have found a few at TJ MAXX and Marshall's as well. I look for beautiful illustrations and cute stories.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter loved the Duck and Goose series by Tad Hills when she was into the board books.  

Very sweet. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Oh!! I almost forgot one of my favorites! The Monster at the End of This Book! All my kids have LOVED it. It's really fun to read too and do the voice of Grover. :)
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • We read a lot of the Sandra Boynton books (anyone want to read But Not the Hippopotamus?  I can recite the whole book.  Same with The Going To Bed Book).  We also like Little Blue Truck, The Little Engine That Could, and any book about construction trucks or garbage trucks.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• edited July 2014
    My DD is a huge Curious George fan and we have several of those - they are like 5 minute stories, 8 stories per book. Found them at Marshalls.
    We also have the same thing with Disney Princesses (5 minute stories).

She loves Corduroy.

Also my MIL got us a subscription to Highlights (a little magazine for kids, arrives monthly or bi monthly, can't remember) and there all all kinds of short stories and activities in those. In theory they are way above her age range but we've been obsessed with them.
  • Hi - 
    I posted on Pregnant after 35 a few times but haven't posted here.  I am 40, and my son will be 8 months tomorrow :) 

My son LOVES books as well, and I agree with the previous posters about the Sandra Boynton books.  Esp the Going to Bed Book which is always the last book we read before bed time.  Another current favorite is Mr. Brown can Moo, Can You?  He loves all the animal noises in there, actually the Bzzzz of the bee is how I got his first ever laugh from him.  
  • Looks like you have a one year old. I'm gearing this to that age but some are also for bigger kids.

I am a Bunny by Richard Scarry

Bunny books with illustrations by Lisa McCue, like "Snuggle Bunnies" and "Busy Bunnies"

My daughter LOVES "Wheels on the Bus" illustrated version of the song

Good Night Moon

Big Red Barn

If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, etc.

"Heads," "Tails," etc.

Little Blue Truck

Very Hairy Bear

Spot books

Biscuit books.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For anyone starting potty training, Dinosaurs Love Underpants has at least gotten DD to want to wear underwear. Lol. Pete the Cat, obviously. Llama Llama. She also loves Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site. She also has a little box with a dozen Mickey Mouse Clubhouse books in it. The books are tiny board books (like 2 inches square). She absolutely loves those. Mommy, not so much. They are concept books, not stories, and there are 12 of them, which end up everywhere!
  • Geeps2Geeps2 member
    I was just reading the Good Night book, upside down without looking at a single word.  I too know it by heart.  

I have a 2.5 year old and an 8 month old and I taught Kindergarten for 12 years so I have a ton of books but am always looking for new ones.  My 2 year old LOVES llama llama books too.  And David Shannon books.  Duck on a Bike was specifically asked for this evening.  

Thanks ladies for the input :)

• Great thread!
    The world of books for babies is all new to me so it's very helpful to see these recommendations. I could go on for hours about books for 1st graders but that's quite different! Though actually some of the books you mentioned toddlers loving are first grade favorites too - like the llama llama books and the karma Wilson bear books. Your kids who enjoy those might also like the moonbear books by Frank Asch. Or might like them in another year.
    ™ I'm definitely going to have to get some more books with stories or at least complete sentences as board books very soon! The books with just one word under a picture are nice for DD to look at (high contrast) but I'm already sick of them since they aren't much good for language or even concept development - the things in them are so random! Seems like publishers could really do better. Though to be fair I am a nitpicker by nature. I'd rewrite about half the emergent level books in our guided reading collection at school too, if I could.
    I'm looking forward to reading her classics like the Robert McCloskey books, Corduroy, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel (I made my dad read that to me *so* many times!) when she is older.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • @springbeduk2‌ : The books with one word drive me nuts. So I make stuff up. It may not help with reading, but I figure the more words they hear us say, the better off they are. Now my 2 yo will tell stories too, which is so much fun! And she tells stories (or acts them out with her stuffed animals) to her 3 month old brother, so I'm getting double- language development points!
  • DD loves any books with flaps and touch and feel books.  Both kids loved the books by Roger Pridy (First 100 Words, My Big Word Book, Bright Baby)  Seriously, they have read them til they fall apart.  We trying to potty train DS so we are reading "The Potty Book for girls".
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @springbeduk2: I love the Frank Asch bear books from my childhood. :-) 

@Geeps2: I'm glad that you recommended the Karma Wilson books. DS has loved Dinos on the Go and Bear Wants More!

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

• ajaan113ajaan113 member
    edited August 2014
    Children's literature my favorite topic. I have a 10 month and have read to him nightly since he was born. As a teacher I have tons of books and always looking for more to add to my collection. 

Eric Carle
    Lois Ehlert
    Leslie Patricelli

Also, I get nearly all of my board books and children's books from the thrift store. Only 69 cents! I buy four, I get one free. Somedays are 25% off even more savings.
  • @Lilki Glad she liked it!  If you go to YouTube there is a video and song that goes along with it.  My 2 year old LOVES it.  I couldn't find the stand alone video on Youtube so I did some digging and found it on the site below.  Just scroll down and you will see the video.

The signing isn't the greatest but my 2 year old doesn't care she just loves the story and the song.

• Gerald & Piggy books by Mo Williems for older kids (3+). The Kissing Hand, Big Mean Dust Bunny.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi all - new to this board, but tired of the monthly mama drama!! 
    If you have a preschool-aged LO I highly recommend "A Book With No Pictures" by BJ Novak (from the Office) -- it's fabulous!!!!  It makes the reader say silly things and my son requests it multiple times a day!  The only potentially "off" part is where you have to read "Boo Boo Butt" - but, that's part of what makes it funny! 

• Tonight, DD wanted a book "from the stack," which is a stack on a bookshelf in our hallway. So I brought back Llama Llama Red Pajama. We then cracked up because DD was adamant that she wanted "Llama Llama Mad at Mama." She was bouncing up and down on our bed chanting "Mad at Mama! Mad at Mama!"

Another big hit for anyone starting potty training is Dinosaurs Love Underpants. It's the only thing that convinced DD to want to try wearing panties.
  • Anything by Sandra Boynton, especially The Going To Bed Book for bedtime.
  • OK, so how bad is it that all DD (6 months) wants to do with books right now is eat them? Well actually she will look and listen for a couple minutes. But then she just wants to chomp.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • OK, so how bad is it that all DD (6 months) wants to do with books right now is eat them? Well actually she will look and listen for a couple minutes. But then she just wants to chomp.

Perfectly normal! Regular refrain in my house by 2 yo about almost 7 mo old brother is "Mommy! He's chewing on the books again! There's slobber on them!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"