Food Allergy

Newb Intro and Allergist Question(s)

Hello!

I'm a newbie to this board, but have been on TB forever.  My kiddo (almost 16 mo.) recently underwent blood tests at our Family Practice clinic, and the results came back with mild/moderate reactions to dogs, cats (we have both), eggs and a "Highly Clinically Significant" reaction to wheat.  The reactions that prompted the testing were eczema, hives, and bright red rashes on hands and feet.  Our Dr. sent the test results to me online, with a note that said, basically, "Perhaps this will help in dictating food choices for your son going forward."  No plan, no explanations, nada.

So I made an appointment with a Pediatric Allergist, and my question to you all is:
What questions should I ask?

I am feeling a bit lost.

I did a basic search to see if this had been asked/answered before, but I didn't find much.  Any help or suggestions you might have would be much appreciated.  Also if I've missed an important piece of info. in this intro, please let me know and I will fill in where I can.

TIA!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
TTC since 6/11
Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

Re: Newb Intro and Allergist Question(s)

• The allergist will probably do a skin test to see how your child reacts.  My youngest came back with a gluten allergy from him bloodwork.  The allergist tested wheat and he barely had an in office reaction but the next day he was covered in eczema.  The allergist said that was a true allergy if that kind of reaction happened.  You might try removing eggs and wheat and see if there is any change.  We didn't think wheat or gluten were one of his possible allergies until we did the blood work.  His eczema cleared after we removed everything though and I can always tell if he has been glutened because within 24 hours it returns.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• JGYJGY member

Thanks @light52 & @casey78 for responding!

We had the Allergist appointment this morning and she said that they really don't consider ezcema to be a serious enough symptom to treat as a food allergy (interesting).  She skin tested for wheat, eggs, fish and almonds (based on some hives he had last night after eating fish and almonds). 

He came beck negative for wheat!  What the hell?  Anyway, it also came back with a mild allergy to eggs.

So our plan is to reintroduce wheat and continue to limit egg intake to a point.  She feels he SHOULD be exposed to it in some foods, like baked goods.  But we should avoid basicaly giving him a whole egg.  I'm fine with that plan, we'll see what happens.  He's never had a severe enough reaction to have me actually panicking (though the hands and feet were startling), so I'm sure we will be fine.  Actually, if he truly doesn't have a wheat allergy I will be overjoyed.

Thanks again for your responses.  It's always so comforting to know that no matter what you're dealing with, someone on TB can commiserate and guide you.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"