Late Term and Child Loss

To therapy or not to therapy

That is the question... I am struggling with my grief but not sure if therapy would be helpful since it seems that there is nothing anyone can say to help. Any good or bad experiences to share? Should I give it a try?
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
                                    motheringcarolinegrace.wordpress.com

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: To therapy or not to therapy

• ticker warning

My experience with therapy has been a good one.  I had already been going, but after our loss going to see my therapist was one of the first things I wanted to do.  He does not specialize in grief counseling but he was a friendly face to talk to.  Someone who wouldn't say crappy things like it was God's plan, and someone who wouldn't complain that I was talking about the same thing for the millionth time.

I say give it a shot, you may like it, or you may find that it is not for you.  But I will say, if you don't like it at first, don't be afraid to try another therapist until you find one you click with.  After my mom died I saw a grief counseler and we didn't click at all.  Despite being crushed by my mom's death, I was also dealing with breaking up with my sort of/sort of not boyfriend and wanted to talk about that as well, and anytime I talked about anything other than my mom she would steer me back there. 

If therapy doesn't work for you, or even if it does you might also try blogging if you don't already.  It's very therapeutic for me and I love to blog.  Good luck and ((hugs))

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• BgirmaBgirma member
    @kderoy- I'm so sorry that you're struggling right now and I can definitely relate. I lost my son in December and started going to therapy about 3 weeks later. I went every week for 3 months and then abruptly stopped because I got busy with work and life and felt like I was able to function better. I hit a major low around 6 months and started with a new therapist every week. A few thoughts based on my experience:
    1. I get incredibly anxious before each appointment because I'm not a huge fan of discussing my feelings but I always feel better when I leave. There is nothing my therapist can say to make things better but she's a sounding board for my thoughts and feelings and gives me ideas for coping skills for when I'm overwhelmed or anxious.
    2. Think about what you want out of therapy and make sure your counselor can provide it. Again, I'm getting a place where I can say anything without judgement or fear of upsetting the other person (my husband is truly wonderful but I worry about putting so much on him when he's dealing with his own grief). I also get ideas for coping strategies and insight about how this is affecting my life and relationships.

3. Don't settle for the first person you go to! I changed to a different therapist and I'm much happier- I didn't click with my first one but didn't realize that I could "shop around" and find someone else.

Overall, I suggest trying it out for a least a few sessions. It's not for everyone but I think it's worth looking into. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • @kderoy I have been going to therapy since the loss of our son and I have found it to be helpful. I would recommend a grief counselor, but so long as you click with your therapist they don't necessarily have to be a grief counselor. You can find one by calling a hospice in your local area and asking for recommendations. I say give it a try - you have nothing to loose.  Also I recommend a perinatal bereavement group. Call your local hospitals to see if any are in your area. It's great to meet people who have been through a loss and you can really support one another. There are people in our group that have had recent losses and others that are more than a decade out from their loss - everyone is at different stages, but it all helps. The counselor and our group are a huge support for my husband and I. Good luck! ((Hugs))
  • erinelerinel member

.....siggy.....

DH and I have been going to therapy since our son passed away in February.  We started out going every week, and now go every two or three weeks.  We find it helpful, not only because we can talk about our son, but we also talk about things going on with us, our marriage, and our work. 

I think we will probably start going monthly or so soon because it is pretty expensive, but I think it has been well worth it so far.

Me 32 (Stage IV Endometriosis, short luteal phase) DH 38

Married 5/2010

January 2014- DS born healthy at 35.4 weeks

February 2014- DS passed away due to complications from adenovirus

February 2015- Rainbow baby DD born at 36.3 weeks

My chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/42fd32 

• MH and I went to a grief counselor for 6 months or so. We found it really helpful. She had experienced the loss of her husband a number of years ago, so while she couldn't relate exactly to our loss, she could relate to much of what we were going through. MH and I both really liked having a space to intentionally talk about how we were both feeling, especially because MH has been processing his grief very different than me, and also having someone to facilitate questions and difficult subjects. We are no longer seeing her regularly, but I like knowing that if something comes up, I can call her and she will be familiar with our story. I don't think giving it a try is a bad idea, especially if you find someone who specializes in infant or child loss.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Me: 32 DH: 33  High School Sweethearts  Married 5/28/2005
    DS1 born 6/5/10 at 40 weeks via emergency c-section due to fetal distress and IUGR caused by placental insufficiency
    DS2 born still 8/28/13 at 32 weeks via emergency c-section due to a complete placental abruption - cause unknown
    Baby #3 on the way, EDD 2/29/16.  Originally twins, but we said goodbye to Baby B at 8 weeks.
  • I am a therapist as well and would recommend it. I have been in therapy since our loss. I go about every three weeks. I've found it really helpful, and I found a therapist who focuses on grief and womens health

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• We attend a monthly support group meeting together and monthly therapy sessions individually. I agree with pp who said not to be afraid to shop around. We have been to two support groups and I just found a therapist to replace the one I was seeing previously.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• ***SIGGY***

I tried a month or so after my loss, and it didn't go well. Didn't click with the therapist, and I wasn't ready. I did a second round with someone who had worked with loss mothers before, and it went so much better. I went for six weeks and was finally able to move forward. I was so apprehensive before every appointment, but I felt so much better - and started feeling lighter - as each session went on. I'm considering seeing that same therapist again as I get closer to my son's second angelversary.

I would recommend therapy, but only if you think you're ready. I wasn't open to talking the first time, so I stopped. I do hope that if you decide to go, it will help you like it has helped others on this board. *hugs*

________________________________________________________________________________

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Therapy has been so helpful for me on so many levels. That said, you have to think it might help for it to be able to. More than anything, my counsellor listens and I can talk about whatever I want (regardless of how crazy it seems to me or the outside world) without judgement. He has also suggested some other exercises (like writing a letter to my daughter) that have been helpful. It gives me an opportunity to talk for awhile just about Serenity or about life in general (he's not a grief counsellor). If you're thinking about it, I'd say give it a shot. If you end up with a not-so-great therapist/counsellor at first, try someone different, but most of all if you do try it, be open to the experience. Good luck!
  • edited July 2014
    ****siggy warning and PgAL mentioned****

Hi @kderoy‌. I've wondered how you were doing. I've had a terrible experience with a therapist, and a fantastic one. The first therapist I saw was awful, and questioned why we weren't considering adoption rather than TTC in the first 15min. But my current therapist has been wonderful. Particularly though TTC/IF and all my PgAL fears and guilt.  
    No, know one can say anything that makes it better. But it can be a safe place to say all the things you feel. Any guilt, hopelessness, etc. I also have joined a local loss support group. And they are great, but I find therapy hugely helpful. DH has also come with me a few times so we can talk about our grief together. Thinking of you.
    TTC #1 June 2010
    1/3/11 S/A - Count 45; Motility 32; Morph 4.3 - 2/10/11 - S/A Count 17mil; Motility 39; Morph 7.9
    1/5/11 Femara Cycle #1 = BFN  2/4/11 Femara Cycle #2 = BFP: 3/4/11 - Starting Progesterone suppositories 
    Beta#1 15DPO = 108; Beta#2 17DPO = 179; Beta#3 18DPO = 259; Beta 4# 20DPO =659!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    TTC#2 Pulled goalie 5/12, PPAF 3/13, BFP 6/27 Beta 15DPO=248! 
    Dx Severe Hydrocephalus and severe Dandy Walker Cyst.   Stillborn 10/19/13
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    TTC#3 - (No preventing, TTC+progesterone starting 12/13)
    4/7/14 CD3 BW - FSH 5.6; AMH 0.469 - 4/11/14 S/A Count 35, Motility 47, Morph 1.5
    4/16/14 - Cycle 6 - Natural IUI - Beta 12DPIUI = 3; Beta 13DPIUI=4.  15DPIUI=6. 17DPIU=4. Chemical Pregnancy  
    TTC #4
    5/5/14 Dx MTHFR homozygous A1298C, Benched 1 cycle HSG 5/14 both tubes open w/scarring on the left   
    5/28/14 Starting clomid 6/8/14 IUI #2 1 dominant follicle 31mm Beta 11DPIUI =4, 15DPIUI = 74, 17DPIUI = 165 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers
  • ManadaManada member
    @kderoy‌
    Finding a therapist was one of the first things we did following the birth of our girls. Our midwife contacted someone she knew who recommended a queer friendly therapist who also had done a lot of grief work, and the person who was recommended is wonderful. For us it was important that the therapist understood a bit of what we experienced as a same-sex couple who were pregnant, but also that she had worked with grief before. This was way more important to us than anything else, so we prioritized it in our initial email to her as well as our first appointment.

We see our therapist weekly individually, and every week or two as a couple, and have found this really helpful in the short-term. We also attend the support groups but find therapy a good place to give space to our feelings around grief and anxiety.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"