June 2014 Moms
Options

preemie/ late-term preemie moms

when B was born at 37 weeks I wouldn't have considered him a late-term preemie, but every dr he has seen (which is a lot) all said that they consider him a late-term preemie and he was even more spehshul because they noted he had tendencies more like they would see with a 34 weeker rather than a 37 weeker.

he is 8 weeks actual, 5 weeks adjusted and he still barely has control over his head and really can't lift it at all and he is still pretty wobbly. I know I shouldn't compare him to his older brother (or any other babies) but this is new territory for us and I can't help but worry he's not on track.

so my question for you ladies is have you noticed your LO(s) development being more on track with their actual age? or do they seem to be following more along the lines of their adjusted age?

Re: preemie/ late-term preemie moms

• Options
    My LO is 6 weeks today and was born at 37 weeks. I'm not really sure when she's supposed to do things, but I think she's doing great. She can't lift her head totally on her own yet. She's still pretty wobbly but I think she's doing just fine. She's really strong. The only thing I've really noticed is she's really attached to me and I think it's because she was early. She won't sleep on her own, well, she did the other night for the first time, and I didn't hear her even on the monitor above my head when she woke up. Daddy brought her in to me. But up until now, she's had to sleep either on my chest or next to me.
  • Options
    yeah B is really clingy to me as well, but I attribute it to the fact that me and him spent his first three weeks in the hospital together where I was constantly holding and snuggling him (read crying and basically wiping my nose/tears on his head)

I think he's doing ok considering everything he's been through but I still feel like he should be doing more than he is and can't figure out how I should be tracking him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @flerlgirl‌ I know you have experience with this and you're a super fancy preemie board mod now so feel free to grace me with your knowledge :)

maybe I should lurk the preemie board too...
  • Options
    @flerlgirl‌ I know you have experience with this and you're a super fancy preemie board mod now so feel free to grace me with your knowledge :) maybe I should lurk the preemie board too...
    Ha! I literally posted my reply right before this notification popped up for me. Miiiiiind twiiiiiinnnnssss.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    @flerlgirl‌ thanks for the reassurance. I think I'm just overly worried about him and I don't need to be. he's doing so good on everything else I should just relax a little.
  • Options
    @flerlgirl‌ thanks for the reassurance. I think I'm just overly worried about him and I don't need to be. he's doing so good on everything else I should just relax a little.
    It's hard not to worry. And impossible not to compare! But it sounds like your LO is doing great!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Options
    My toddler was born at 36 weeks and even though he never spent any real time in the nicu I've always noticed that at all the mile markers he would be a month or two behind. My pediatrician always said not to worry cause all babies develop on there own schedule but it is something that I noticed with my first preemie.
  • Options
    I don't think you are being fair to yourself by comparing so soon. DS was a 34 seeker and has had impressive head control from the get go. Every babe is different. Try not to stress yet :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with @flerlgirl, but I still worry. I'm noticing S (born at 36 weeks), is a little behind. I'm trying to reassure myself that it is just her developing on her own schedule and not some other health concerns we are currently dealing with (aside from her late pre-term status)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Chat!                       General Cloth Diaper Information          
  • Options
    hugs @chickpea912‌! I hope everything is ok
  • Options

My girls were born just shy of 35 weeks, and I'm definitely noticing some developmental delays from their actual ages.  I got a 10 week email last weekend where all the talk was about how baby should be laughing and cooing at this point...mine just really started having purposeful smiles in the last few days. I started stressing out until I realized I should check out the milestones for 5-6 weeks. Turns out they're pretty much on track for their adjusted age. Also keep in mind that a lot of the milestone timing that you'll read is for the soonest that you can expect to see certain actions, and a lot of babies take a bit longer. A couple weeks' delay can definitely be within the window of acceptable timing for full term babies, so even late term preemies can take a little more time. Hang in there--I'm sure LO will catch up eventually! 

• Options
    DS was 36 weeks on the dot and his brother was a day sooner. I feel like DS was maybe more on the end of normal for everything but not sure if that wasn't just him. Now he's right on level with kids his age so he did catch up. He amazes me with his creative thoughts so being slower doesn't mean he was any less smart. As for DS #2 I thought he should have more head control but I asked the pedi and she said his wobble was fine. I also was worried that we had no real smiles but I just got one the other day so he's getting there. Always share concerns with you doctor since I know therapy is awesome but I would say at this point it is way to early to worry
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options
    LO was also born at 37 weeks, and I was surprised that this is considered pre-term, but I've heard that from all the doctors.  Since she's my first maybe I don't have expectations, but she seems on track for her real age except really small.

The pediatrician should have an eye on things to determine if something is just a normal difference in development or needs looking into.

There's a lot of difference in development I've noticed with my friends' kids and in my family.  My brother (who incidentally was a preemie) always looked and seemed really mature for his age and did stuff early.  I was always a bit behind my peers.  But we were both healthy and normal.
    image    image

• Options
    My DS was born 9 weeks early.   He is now 14 weeks actual age,  6 weeks adjusted age. ( He was due June 9,  but born in April).     I think he's doing great for being such an early preemie.  He can lift his head, and holds it fairly upright for a few minutes at a time when we are holding him up against our chests.  On his tummy,  he lifts his head and moves it side to side.  He "talks" alot when he's wide awake.. lots of "ga!'s" and coos.    The one thing he hasn't really done yet is truly smile at me.  :(   He sometimes looks like he's smiling, but it's not to anything in particular, so I don't think it's a social smile just yet.   I know that I need patience with my little guy and that because he's over 2 months behind,  he has alot of catching up to do.   I'm proud of him for the things he can do and look forward to seeing that beautiful smile hopefully soon!  

• Options
    LO was born at 35 weeks 4days...so far he's doing good...i still worry about alot...he eating well 5oz every 3hrs..and in a 0-3month clothing
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"