Baby Names
Options

Repeating MN as FN?

OK - so this is the deal. We both love the name Chloe, and will name our baby this if it's a girl. I'd like to use my mother's maiden name, Hunter, as her middle name, I think Chloe Hunter is such a nice sounding name. If it's a boy, we are naming him John Paul after DH's deceased brother. BUT, if we end up having a second boy, we both LOVE the name Hunter as a first name for our second boy. Would you hold out on using the name in hopes of using it as a first name for a baby that may not even exist?

If we do end up having 2 boys, would it be weird to re-use our daughter's middle name as our son's first name?

Re: Repeating MN as FN?

• Options
    I'm confused... are you planning on three kids?  Because if you have two boys then you have John Paul and Hunter... and no girl so Hunter hasn't been used yet?
  • Options

Yeah, planning on 3-4 kids. I'm am thinking this one is a girl, although of course it is still way to early to tell. So, if we have a girl first & name her Chloe Hunter, then a boy and name him John Paul, then another boy - can we reuse Hunter as a first name?

Sorry, I know it's probably a stupid question & really random. I think that's what us pregnant women are famous for, though, right?!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    yes I do think it would be kind of weird to use it for 2 kids.  I think I would deal with the situation as it comes.  If you have a girl first then use the name you love.  Then if someday you end up with 2 boys, you can decide what you think of reusing the name for him. 
  • Options
    I think it's a little weird - people would comment on it a lot. Maybe it would be different if you were naming them after someone named Hunter? If you love Chloe Hunter (which I agree is very sweet) and it's a girl now, use it - who knows if you'll feel the same way about Hunter as a first name for a boy by the time you have a 2nd one anyway. Just a thought. GL!
  • Options
    I say deal with it as it comes.  A lot of people say they want 3 or 4 kids and stop at 2, so no need to worry now IMO.
  • Options

I wouldn't hold out personally. You never know how many children you will be able to have and you don't want to miss out on this special opportunity.

That being said I don't know how I feel about repeating names in children. My sister has a Vannessa ann & an Anna elizabeth but those are variations of the same name. Maybe you could name your daughter Chloe hunt and your son hunter?

• Options

In my family, I have a sibling who's middle name is the same as another's first name.  However, these after two specific and distinct relatives (i.e. John Doe Smith III and Doe Michael Smith).  And I think that's a little much, even though they both are meant to honor different people ... I wouldn't recycle like that. 

• Options
    I don't think it would be awful, but your opinion on the name may change significantly in the time it takes you to have another or a third child.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's fine. No one really remembers middle names anyway. I couldn't tell you the MNs of most of my very very close friends.
  • Options
    I would only use the name Hunter once
  • Options

Sorry, but to me Hunter is a boy's name and I don't like Chloe Hunter.

Personally, I'd save it for a boy as a first name. I love it used as that.

I do like Chloe though. 

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would only use Hunter as a name for one of your children.
  • Options
    Chloe is the name of my DD, so I love it Hunter is a great MN and I am sure if the first one is a girl, by the time you have a boy you could think of a new one.  Or you could use it for both, it wouldn't be a first name for both of them.
  • Options
    I'd hold out.
  • Options
    I don't think it's so strange to use them twice. I have a friend with 3 brothers, all have the middle name Michael and her middle name is Mycael (pronounced the same, stupid spelling, I know). Espeically considering that Hunter is a family name.
  • Options
    Coming in late to this, but I work in a health care facility where two of our pediatric patients are brothers: the older child's MN was re-used as the younger's FN. It's unusual, yes. Strange, maybe a little...but the problem for me is that the kids' charts are frequently mixed up with each other by well-meaning staffers...it's just not all that common to see siblings with the exact same name, so they see one name on the schedule and just grab a chart w/o realizing that they've grabbed the wrong one (the reused name is also somewhat uncommon.) I have to be esp. careful with them to make sure I have the right record before I see them...and it makes me wonder if they will have records mixed up at schools, government agencies, etc. as they get older because their names are somewhat similiar. Just something to be aware of if you decide to go ahead and do it...
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"