LGBT Parenting
Options

Parenting Check-In (July 14th)

Good Morning Everyone

How was your weekend?  Any new developments, accomplishments or challenges with you LO(s)?

QOTD:  Bloopers??? - Share some of the silly and strange things that have happened since becoming a parent :-)

and/or

QOTD #2: What's your favorite time of the day with your LO?

If you would like to be added to the Roster please let me know:

@KH826 – Will born 6/4/14

@ATXmommas – Sebastian (“Ash”) born 11/21/13, other Momma is Z

@Wallace323 – J and L born 8/8/13, surviving triplets born at 31 weeks

@Trisholio – Proud foster parents to M born 2/6/12 and K born 8/22/13; and pregnant expecting a third daughter in September 2014.

@JGY – Gabe born 3/24/13, other Mama is S.

@Stringy813 – M born May 2013

@Filmfanatic82 – Charley born 3/15/14

@Mamosry – R born 2/25/14

@2brides – G & C born 5/18/06, other Mom is L

@Jrtmom – Henry born 8/15/13, other mama is L

@Sarahtrpt – C born February 2014

@CageyMack – W born 3/16/13

@Themommymonster – C (DS) born 2/18/09

@Clairmeij – Alarico born 6/28/13, other mama is V

@Mystjava – Little Bear (LB) born 3/31/10, other Mummum is Shawn

@winstan1 – J (DS) born 9/10 (currently 3.5 years old)

@newmompeanut – N (DD) born 2/12/13, other Momma is B

@herbabymam – C (DD) born 12/10/13, other Mama is K

@AmandaG47 – Twin girls born 2/22/14, other Mommy is J

@mwagner25 – Oliver born 11/27/13, other parent is L

@jazibel – Kaden born 7/13/12 and Owen born 5/2/14, other parent (Aya) is EV

@redrockmama – M born 6/19/14, other Mama is J

@ball.and.chain – B born 6/28/14

Re: Parenting Check-In (July 14th)

• Options
    We are officially joining the ranks of having a crawler.  He hasn't "mastered" it yet... Which at least gives us a little more time to get things babyproofed.  We are still waiting for those teeth to come in but the nursing sessions have gotten better and he isn't biting as much.  I am really thankful for that.  He pulls up on everything right now sao my favorite time of the day bath time is becoming a HUGE pain in the butt.  Every time I sit him back down he screams and cries.  I am hoping this is just a phase bc it was such a sweet part of our bedtime routine when we would play and sing songs and he always enjoyed the water even if he was having a crabby day.  :( why do they always have to keep changing? 
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • Options
    This 15 month old boy is finally starting so say some good words: da for dog, car for, um, car, and will make noises like dogs and cars and trains.  

We went to the Farm Fair yesterday and it was really fun.  He loved the beef steers and wanted to pet them a TON.  Being a farm kid I was a little nervous one would wave it's big old oaffy head around and cold-cock the kid, but he stayed safe.  He also held a bantam rooster.  

Right now he is looking through his books, which is a nice change. He is not much of a "reader" yet, but in the last couple weeks has started bringing books to us, even if he won't then sit still for more than a couple pages.  

Today we have DW's nuchal screen, so I'm dreading taking him a little.  He will probably be hell on wheels.  

CageyMack
    37, married to my favorite person in the world, DW! One darling surfer-girl (12) and one darling, sweet boy born 3/16/13.

5/2013 Started TTC #3, DW's turn: 5/2013: Diagnostics (shg) and surgery (polyp rem.) for best chances. July-Oct: IUI # 1-4, medicated, monitored, triggered.  All BFN. IVF in Jan May. Sheesh. Whoop! IVF#1 cycle started 4/2/14. 5/1: 19 eggs retrieved, 8 matured, ICSI'd.  4 fertilized.   Only 2 to transfer/freeze stage. 5/6: Two embryos transferred. 5/15: Beta #1 9dp5dt is 134! BFP! 5/19: Beta #2 13dp5dt is 672! B'erFP! 5/21: Beta #3 15dp5dt is 1853.  Yay!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Things separate from their stories have no meaning. They are only shapes. Of a certain size and color. A certain weight. When their meaning has become lost to us they no longer have even a name. The story on the other hand can never be lost from its place in the world for it is that place.” ― Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a bit of a rough weekend, but survived.  My wife went camping with some friends and I was home with the girls all weekend.  It was my birthday present to her, which we celebrated on Sunday.  Friday evening I took the girls to a friends house and the girls had a great time playing with a new friends, new toys in a fun new house.  They were very well behaved, which makes me proud.

Baby K is officially a walker.  She started taking a few steps here and there but she is walking from room to room now and is so adorable and wobbly.  M is growing like a weed, but also throwing more tantrums and developing an attitude.  The toddler stage is so challenging!

Things are challenging with their mom right now, but I am doing my best to be patient.  She missed 3 out of the last 4 scheduled visits for various reasons.  She made it to last weeks visit and just wanted to act like everything was great, she was doing 'so good' according to her and talking about how she was working her case plan and hoping to have the girls back soon.  I just wanted to scream at her, but of course I didn't.  She doesn't have a job, housing and hasn't passed a drug test in 5 months oh and has a bench warrant for her arrest....but she thinks all of those problems will be fixed overnight and she will get the girls back.  It is so frustrating to deal with a person that is delusional.  I just do my best to raise the girls as my own and will deal with their mom one day a week.  She is doing nothing but making herself look worse each day, so I will continue to sit back and let her shoot herself in the foot.
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    No changes around our house! Still can't get C to go down the slide at the pool. :P We do not have risk taking children. ;)

QOTD 1 - There have been so many, I can't keep up and lost count years ago. ;) Recently - they were wrestling on the floor (rather than getting ready for bed) and I reached out with my toes and tickled C's belly. Evidently he thought it was too rough and started crying (unusual for him) "Why did you hurt me? I don't like it when you hurt me." Hello, guilt.

QOTD 2 - Favorite time of the day is the evening - right before they go to bed. They still ask to cuddle with us in our bed before they crawl into bed and read. It is a time of no distractions and just talking. :) Sometimes the conversations are funny, sometimes poignant, sometimes just a reiteration of their day.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    JGYJGY member

We had a total WTF'ing-fresh-hell-is-this??? weekend. 

G was cranky all weekend.  He was also running a fever and had hives coming and going all.damn.weekend.  He slept like total crap as well.  I was actually a bit excited to give him Benadryl (first time) for the hives because I've been wanting to confirm that it makes him drowsy.**

It does not.  It makes him restless and wakeful.  FML.

On the bright side, we went to Kids Hair and he got a haircut and he's just so adorable.  That's their gig - they're cute and then you feel badly for getting so frustrated with them.  ;)

QOTD #1: I feel like this entire Parenting journey has been a run-on blooper for us.  Honestly, I seriously can't even pick anything out

QOTD #2: Sunday mornings from about 6am until 8am are my absolute favorite (even this weekend).  I typically get up with him Sundays and let S sleep a bit.  He's almost always in a great mood, very playful, and we have nothing to rush for.  We can just relax and play together and I can smooch him a million times.  I love Sundays.

**I was hoping to utilize Benadryl if necessary when I fly, alone, with the G-man in late August.  No such luck.

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Options
    Things have been pretty crazy here too the last week or so.  Between the two kids I was  averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night for a while, which definitely effects my ability to function :-)  Luckily last night was better, so hopefully things are looking up for us.

Kaden turned 2 on Sunday. We didn't have a specific birthday celebration for him because we went to a friends wedding.  Our friend did give us a present for him and some candles for his slice of wedding cake which was really sweet.  We'll celebrate with his aunt & uncle on Thursday and with my family in the beginning of August.  Yesterday was a really tough day, Kaden was extremely cranky and EV and I played tag team taking turns distracting him and removing him from the wedding festivities to keep the peace.  The brides sister actually complimented us as we were leaving early, on our communication skills with Kaden. I was so surprised, but grateful to hear it.  We try so hard to be good parents, and yesterday was harder than usual for various reasons. It's nice to know it doesn't look as hard (or sloppy) as it feels on the inside.

On a positive note the drive back from Las Vegas to the Bay Area (about 9 hours) went really well. The kids were so amazing. Owen mostly slept and didn't get fussy until we were an hour out.  Kaden slept, played and watched movies (yay for the minivans dvd player!!).

On the accomplishment front, Owen keeps getting stronger, he's doing great at tummy time, and still rolls himself over, even from back to side now.  He's also army crawling a little, yesterday he made it 8".  It's a little scary because I've become reliant on him being the non-mobile on.  I have no idea what I'll do when they can both move. ;-)

QOTD:  I realize now as I'm trying to answer this very question how hard it is.  Everything I do feels like a blooper....  Ok I think I'll have to post something later...

QOTD #2: I love singing to Kaden before laying him down to sleep.  He now sings along with me (and EV if we're together). It's just so sweet.  I've been co-sleeping with Owen and I'm just now trying to start transitioning him to the bassinet/co-sleeper.  Anyway I love snuggling up with him (@jrtmom it is the best).  I also love nap time.

• Options
    We've been on a bit of a roller coaster this week with Danielle's family.  Her mom was diagnosed on Friday with early onset Alzheimer's, so naturally it was a bit of a rough weekend for us.  I've known this was coming for a while now since my MIL has been showing signs for well over a year, but Danielle has been in semi denial up until Friday.  Glad there's at least an actual diagnosis so we know what we are dealing with, but it's a bit sad and scary to say the least.  

On a happier note, I took Charley swimming for the first time this past week and she LOVED it.  She was kicking her legs and attempting to put her face in the water on her own.  We can't start swim lessons until she is 6 months, but are planning to get some more practice in in the meantime.

QOTD:  Mornings are usually my favorite. Charley is super happy and loves to babble away. Her new thing is to sit in her bouncy seat and babble to her stuffed Giraffe.

• Options
    LO will be 8 months a week from today (AKA only 4 more months of pumping)!

No big changes this week. One exciting moment this week was when he stayed under water for 3 seconds during his swim lesson. So fun!

I think it was last week that I mentioned we started sending food to day care. His teachers have been awesome about BLW and love watching him eat. I don't think I mentioned that he's had a new teacher over the past couple months whom we LOVE! Some of you might recall that I had issues with his previous teacher (nothing serious, but just didn't have that feeling you want to have about the person who is caring for your child 1/3 of the day). Love, love, love this new one.

Other than that, we're continuing to baby proof and are having to be super vigilant about what we leave on the floor - 17 toys can be strewn about and he goes for the shoe or the wire. ;)

My questions for you - has anyone found any swimming ear plugs for infants? We're using "kid" size, but am looking for something smaller and having a hard time.

How many times a day are/were you nursing/pumping around 8 months?

QOTW 1: I think I've shared this one before... I flew with Ash when he was about 11-12 weeks old. When we returned to Austin, all three of us were taking a bath together and I was bragging to Z that he didn't poop on the plane. Almost on cue, he pooped in the water. Disgusting, but hysterical.

QOTW 2: First thing in the morning. Love his sweet smile and cuddles.
  • Options
    KH826KH826 member
    Will is going to be 6 weeks old tomorrow!

He currently eats like a bottomless pit. His sleeping has been hit or miss. During the day he will really only nap if he is being held or if we are in the car. At night he will sometimes give us a 3-4 hour stretch of sleep, but not always. His new thing is actually projectile poop. I know - lovely! He waits til his diaper is off mid-change and the he literally projectile poops across the room. It has happened 3 times now. It is totally disgusting but also usually pretty funny. I think this counts as my blooper!

He has been smiling a ton lately - which I love, and just in the last two days has started making more cooing sounds. :)

Here are some smiley pics!

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • Options

JGY said:

We had a total WTF'ing-fresh-hell-is-this??? weekend. 

G was cranky all weekend.  He was also running a fever and had hives coming and going all.damn.weekend.  He slept like total crap as well.  I was actually a bit excited to give him Benadryl (first time) for the hives because I've been wanting to confirm that it makes him drowsy.**

It does not.  It makes him restless and wakeful.  FML.

**I was hoping to utilize Benadryl if necessary when I fly, alone, with the G-man in late August.  No such luck.

I am so sorry to hear this.  We used Benedryl with M, the toddler when she came to live with us to get her on a sleep schedule.  She also has pretty bad seasonal allergies and so her pediatrician said it was ok to give daily.  It has been a life saver!
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Options
    JGYJGY member

Thanks all.  Teething pain must have stopped because we had a great night last night.  He was happy and playful and smiley, bedtime was a little more difficult than I would have liked but nothing outrageous.  Only woke once in the night, nursed, and went back to sleep. SLEPT IN(!!!) until 6:30.

Even the dog slept last night.  I feel like a different person today.

On a lighter note, my sister sent this to me today, and I thought it appropriate:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-julianelle/the-no-bullsht-goody-bag-for-parents-to-give-out-on-planes_b_5578355.html

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"