July 2014 Moms

Baby shower gift: baby essentials

Hi ladies i'm hosting my bff's baby shower in august and am just going over my gift idea. I want to get her a baby bath tub and fill it with all the baby essentials she will need like shampoos, diaper creams, the small things that its good to have lots of. Being a FTM myself i only know little so far what you really need and don't need so if you guys could help me out with what would be a good idea/ useful item for her to put into the bath tub would be great! I also want to add some little things for her like the breast pad/ cream ect. 

Thank you so much.
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Baby shower gift: baby essentials

• I agree to forgo the soaps/lotions, unless you can find the little travel sizes (Babies R Us carries them) of a couple different brands. Then she can try them out and see what she likes- even if it's only a preference of scent. Washcloths (especially if a little boy for diaper changes), hooded towel, cotton prefold diapers for use as burp rags, little hair brush/nail clippers/emery boards kit, rectal thermometer, aquaphor diaper cream (the BEST ever), Vaseline in a squeeze tube if it's a boy for circumcision.

Great gift idea!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • BP607BP607 member
    All great ideas from PP, and I 3rd not giving the lotions, creams, etc until they can see what baby does well with. 

You can't really go wrong with including desitin or aquaphor as far as creams go. 

PP covered a lot of the baby care items for bath, but if you are looking for others you can always do bibs, crib sheets so they will have extra, a mirror for the car so the person driving can see baby, little toys, (mamas and papas has some really cute ones), books, etc. 
  • As for the mom items, I have heard that Earth Mama Angel Baby is really good. I splurged and bought some for myself this time around. I've also bought several different kinds of breast soothers - some that are cooling without having to put them in the fridge and some that can be heated or cooled.

• I'd say get the mom both Earth Mama nipple cream and Motherlove Nipple Cream...the Earth Mama has cocoa in it, which I've heard some babies can be sensitives to.  Motherlove is olive oil based.  If you get 1 oz jars, maybe she can try both and see which she prefers!  I just ordered Motherlove myself after going through lots of different reviews.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Diapers, rash cream, wipes, powder, burp cloths 
  • disposable diapers to be used as burp cloths 

image.
  • Gas drops are something we wished we'd had in the middle of the night. I now add a couple of bottles to every baby gift I buy. :)

• Wait... Vaseline if it is a boy. I missed that memo. ???

• ARogers26 said:
    Wait... Vaseline if it is a boy. I missed that memo. ???
    To help the circ heal if the parents chose to circ.

• ARogers26 said:

If he's being circumcised, it's important to keep the tip of the penis moist/protected so that the tender healing skin doesn't stick to the mesh of the diaper.

Pregnancy Ticker

I think you mean reusable...

I think you mean reusable...

Haha ya I'm picturing a disposable thrown over my shoulder....
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• clk723clk723 member
    A lot of good ideas have already been posted but you could add bath toys or teething rings or receiving blankets to fill the space.
  • Baby wipes are a great idea. What about a few little things for mom? Like a couple of gossip magazines & a starbucks gift card? She might enjoy a few minutes of down time just to read up on the latest celeb crap & it's something she wouldn't need a clear mind to read or focus on.

• Thank you for all the advice and ideas defiantly helps me out a lot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ARogers26 said:
    Unless they use the plastibell method for the circ....my doc said not to put anything on the plastibell--NO vaseline, they emphasized.

5 years TTC, no luck with IUI's, failed IVF June 2013, 
    FET Oct 2013 with delayed transfer, intralipids, lovenox & prednisone= first BFP of my life!
    ***Beautiful baby boy born June 13th!*** 

• I can understand why others suggest not including shampoo, etc but if she registered for a certain brand, go ahead. Or stick to sensitive or more organic kinds to reduce chance of reactions like another PP said. I know I was a bit frustrated that no one got those items for me (but of course I got like 10 rubber duckies that she won't even be playing with right away). I even put the brands I wanted on my registry (Aveeno & California Baby). Not that I'm ungrateful - my shower was wonderful & people have been so generous & helpful in getting us what we need for baby.

FYI If she is planning to cloth diaper, you need to avoid diaper cream with zinc oxide (the primary ingredient in most brands in stores). If she's doing disposables, you're fine though with the suggestions already given above.

A bath kneeler for Mom is another idea for when baby is large enough for tub baths.

Anniversary
  • How about some Gumigems or something to that effect? It's teething jewellery so wouldn't be used straight away but they're cute and very useful when little one gets to their chewy stage. BRU has some (not Gumigem brand but same idea) on sale right now. A wraparound toy for the car seat handle, again not for newborn but useful when they get a little bigger. Pacifier pod for the changing bag. A wet-bag for the changing bag (waterproof bag for putting wet/dirty stuff in when you have to change baby's clothes out and about) it's better than a plastic bag because they seal so the changing bag doesn't start to smell funny. One of those hangy-hook things you strap to the stroller to hang bags/basket off - no idea what they're called but they are so, so useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"