Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Postpartum check up: Diastasis recti

anna.ceanna.ce member
edited July 2014 in Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
I don't want to alarm anyone but I wanted to share something I didn't know until I was 11 months postpartum with my 2nd child. I wish my dr told me that I had diastasis recti where the two abdominal walls separated. It's common so I don't want to alarm anyone. Just please make sure u don't do any exercises like crunches to mess it up and the sooner u find out and get the ok from ur dr, the faster you'll heal. From what I hear anyway. Just wanted to help anyone out there who aren't aware of this but pls don't be alarmed. Just wish I knew about it sooner.

Re: Postpartum check up: Diastasis recti

• Options
    Had this when I was pregnant. Went back down shortly thereafter, but you could definitely see it when I did certain exercises - which is what probably caused it in the future. I was majorly worries about it, but all healed up as much as I can tell.

Little T Born 2/26/13
    TTC #2 since August 2014
    BFP #2: 4/15/15 * EDD: 12/19/15 * MMC: 5/7/15
    BFP #3: 7/23/15 * EDD: 3/29/16

• Options
    How did you finally figure out you had it? Did you have them check at your appt? @anna.ce
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    minervacullenminervacullen member
    edited July 2014
    I have it. You can feel and see at least a 1/2 to 1" gap. My stomach looks constantly bloated. I wasn't aware anything could be done about it.

ETA
    If there's a way to fix this, let me know. I have horrible abdominal strength and something as simple as standing up straight after being bent over severely hurts those muscles.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am 30 weeks pregnant after having my first 18 months ago. The physical therapist said I had a 2 inch gap, which was as far as it could get without being dangerous.  She said it needed to go back after the birth.  I had never heard of this and never been checked by my OB.  So now I am worried...not sure if the OBs will be able to tell if I have a problem at the 6 week after birth appt and if I do, what they can do.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I have it also. I wasn't aware there was a non-surgical fix. I've googled and found what looks like gimmicks - buy this $100 program and we'll send you the exercises. I also found some crap about feeling the connection to my abdominal muscles. Idk. I stopped training abs for a while, but I don't think I'll see any improvement on my own. I'm now doing some basic exercises (no crunches or planks) to try to build strength back up. A lot of other exercises I do require core strength (lat pull down, pull ups, free weights), so hopefully that will help too.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"