Working Moms
Options

f/u to Extended BFers: problems weaning to milk

what do you do when it is the weekend?  DD wanted to nurse constantly last week when i was with her.  but if i am not pumping at work, i'll dry up during that time....she won't take a sippy from me or dh.  should i just give her water?  she is pretty insistent with her milk signing.

Re: f/u to Extended BFers: problems weaning to milk

• Options
    DD always nursed whenever she wanted on the weekends.  She still got plenty of milk, and I stopped pumping at 1 year.  She doesn't really nurse on a schedule now, and I still feel let down every time she nurses.  I would keep nursing her.  Maybe just offer water with meals.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    When I am with DD on the weekends I don't offer to nurse, but I also don't refuse her asking. Some days I was convinced it wasn't going to work, but it has gotten better.  Also, sometimes when she asks to nurse it is close to snack time, so I first ask if she wants a snack and offer some food and milk/water.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

For probably the first month or so, I continued nursing normally on weekends. I think by that time we were down to 3 nursing sessions/day, and we nursed 2 times/day on weekdays, so it wasn't that big a deal to maintain some semblance of a supply for one extra session.

I can't remember when, but I eventually stopped offering the extra session and she was fine with it.

If your DD is asking to nurse, let her. Either your body will figure it out and start making milk at that time, or your DD will figure it out and stop asking to nurse Smile

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"