Food Allergy
Options

How did you know your LO had a food allergy?

We're working with ENT and gastro to figure out why DS is always congested and has trouble eating. ENT put him on singulair last week and it cleared up his congestion, but gave him really bad diarrhea this weekend. :( I'm hoping that the positive results from the drug trial means that we're dealing with an allergy. We've been trying to figure this out for 2 years and this is the best result we've had so far. It would be helpful if you could tell me what your child is allergic to and how their allergy presents itself. I'd really appreciate it. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How did you know your LO had a food allergy?

• Options
    LuluRMLuluRM member
    Skin scratch tests at 5mo for all major food allergies (we went to an allergist for this). Blood panel at 9-10mo for all known invironmental allergies (they do not like to do the panel before 12mo but we pushed the issue hard bc we wanted answers). He will have a stool panel done around 18-24 months for all intolerances (which don't show up on skin tests since they're in the gut. For example DS was not allergic to wheat, but he may have a gluten intolerance)... the patient has to be eating all the allergens you want to test for a few weeks prior (so that the body has the chance to build up the negative reaction you're testing for) and we're not ready to do that with our son yet since his eczema and stomach issues are completely gone right now (just from adhering to a modified GAPS diet, no medication), we don't want to mess with him right now (he's 16mo). Good luck!!
  • Options
    I suspected at 6m, when we started solids, that DS had food allergies because he developed a terrible rash and eczema. At 9m, we knew for sure that he had a food allergy but we were not sure what the allergen was. At 11m we were able to pinpoint that it was sesame after another reaction. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it! Hopefully we will have some answers soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    casey78 said:

The tipping point: we gave LO scrambled egg at 8m. She picked it up, put it in mouth, spit it out, and proceeded to get head to toe hives and swelling. Allergist did skin prick tests and diagnosed severe egg allergy, moderate dairy, peanut, and treenut. We've added fish, shellfish, and banana to the list. We are awaiting blood tests for specific levels.

The hindsight: her poop smelled bad. It was mucousy sometimes, but not consistently. She had eczema that would not go away. Her face turned bright red at random times. She was consistently congested and had recurrent ear infections from it. 
    @casey78 at what age did your daughter get the mucousy stools and eczema and congestion? I'm wondering cuz my LO has that now
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"