August 2013 Moms

Sleep

I'm not a super regular poster but just need to get this out. Our LO has only ever slept through the night once. He's almost 11 months old. On a good night, he gets up twice. He sometimes will nap in his crib, sometimes not, never for very long if so, and will NOT let us put him down drowsy but awake. I've tried and he screams and gets himself so worked up and does not go to sleep. I obviously make sure he eats, has a clean diaper, is the right temp, etc. but I just feel like I'm at a breaking point. I am so exhausted. Something has to change and I don't know what to do. I feel like I've set him up for bad sleeping habits now and I don't know how to fix it. It's making me not even want another baby because I never thought it would take this long. I know all kids have rough nights here and there which I could handle but it's the norm for him. I just am feeling so defeated.

Re: Sleep

• The only reason DS sleeps through the night is because we bedshare. We try him in his crib a few times a week and the longest he's slept in there has been from 8:30 until 3:00 am. So I'll take that, but I'm also prepared for him to sleep with us for as long as it takes him to finally go through the night. I don't mind the extra cuddles. <3 But I agree with TexasGirl. I've prepared myself that he most likely isn't going to do that for another 6+ months. It's really only a short time in our lives, so we just deal with it. :P 

• Loading the player...
  • I am sorry you're going through this. LO has been a horrible sleeper recently as well, and it's been tough. I hope it passes soon for you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• No advice, just support. DS has only slept through the night two times. :/

"The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • I am really sorry. Do you only put LO down? Can you try switching it up letting DH do it maybe? That's the only advice I can give. It will pass. I know that doesn't help you but it will.
  • That sounds really rough. Kids do things on their own terms and on their own timeline, so I guess it's just a ride it out situation. I've been really lucky with DD. She's a good sleeper at night. Naps, not so much. But she's been getting up sometimes because of teething pain.

It's probably been suggested, but I've found that a warm bath can help.

• We all know dem feels bro. But, you are aware STTN is not a milestone, right? Babies gonna baby. Sooner or later, LO WILL STTN, or at least be able to put themselves back to sleep. Until then sending sleepy baby dust your way!

• Sending you hugs...wish I had some words of wisdom.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you all, it at least helps knowing I'm not alone. I know eventually he'll get there and most days I am fine with it but it has been a tiring week of work and just having a rough morning.
  • ELauren88 said:

We all know dem feels bro. But, you are aware STTN is not a milestone, right? Babies gonna baby. Sooner or later, LO WILL STTN, or at least be able to put themselves back to sleep. Until then sending sleepy baby dust your way!

Ya, I know it's not a milestone and I know it's babies being babies but I was having a really rough morning with it. And, it will happen eventually I know, but sometimes that's not very comforting when extreme exhaustion has set in and you don't know when the end will be in sight.
  • ELauren88 said:

We all know dem feels bro. But, you are aware STTN is not a milestone, right? Babies gonna baby. Sooner or later, LO WILL STTN, or at least be able to put themselves back to sleep. Until then sending sleepy baby dust your way!

Ya, I know it's not a milestone and I know it's babies being babies but I was having a really rough morning with it. And, it will happen eventually I know, but sometimes that's not very comforting when extreme exhaustion has set in and you don't know when the end will be in sight.

• ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

You're pretty cool.
  • Going through it now... As I type this, E is happily crawling around the guest room as she is refusing to sleep... She used to STTN... Hasn't in about 2m... Just have to deal with it

• ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

You're pretty cool.
    Hey, all I did was try and offer some support, just like everyone else. Don't try to call me out BC I also added a fact into my response. Take your catty responses and shitty attitude some where else.

• ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

You're pretty cool.
    Hey, all I did was try and offer some support, just like everyone else. Don't try to call me out BC I also added a fact into my response. Take your catty responses and shitty attitude some where else.
    Your response was definitely not supportive like the other responses. You were being a smart ass and basically talking down to me about it. And your "...k" response was the same thing so when you respond like that, what kind of response do you expect back? I'm not being catty at all. And I only have an attitude to you because of your attitude to me. None of this matters, I just didn't like the attitude in the first response.

• ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

You're pretty cool.
    Your response was definitely not supportive like the other responses. You were being a smart ass and basically talking down to me about it. And your "...k" response was the same thing so when you respond like that, what kind of response do you expect back? I'm not being catty at all. And I only have an attitude to you because of your attitude to me. None of this matters, I just didn't like the attitude in the first response.

Sorry you didn't "like" my response the first time. Clearly the only thing you took from it was the fact that I pointed out your baby is completely normal, and even then you chose to take it in a bad way.
    Did you even read my entire post? I wasn't talking down, I was offering my sympathy and even "sent sleepy baby dust".
    But whatever, you go ahead and get an attitude for no reason.

• ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

You're pretty cool.

Dude, overreact much? I didn't see anything even remotely snarky about @ELauren88‌ 's initial post or even subsequent posts. Calm your tits. Yes, sleep deprivation sucks. I sympathize.

And to respond to your op, it's just babies being babies. I'm in the same boat here. Eventually they'll all sleep. Eventually. Sigh.
  • I hear some babies don't STTN until they start middle school.

• Bed sharing has saved my sanity. LO still doesn't sleep through the night, but it helps not to have to get up and walk down the hall every time.

Off topic, but @TexasGirl81 I'm almost always mobile so haven't seen siggy's in ages. Yours is fabulous!

@dani_brewer‌
    Tehe! Thank you! Isn't that cute?! I've got to teach Lili that move.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

ELauren88 said:

You're pretty cool.

Sorry you didn't "like" my response the first time. Clearly the only thing you took from it was the fact that I pointed out your baby is completely normal, and even then you chose to take it in a bad way.
    Did you even read my entire post? I wasn't talking down, I was offering my sympathy and even "sent sleepy baby dust".
    But whatever, you go ahead and get an attitude for no reason.

You're right, I am sorry. Seriously. However I read it the first time, in my mind it sounded way more sarcastic and snarky than when I reread it. Apparently the sleep deprivation and lack of caffeine is making me bitchy. Really, I'm sorry. :)
  • I'm in same boat too.... LO has never slept through the night.... I think I got 4 hours once upon a time. I often am at my wits end too thinking I must be doing something wrong. I don't know how you working mamas do it. I go back to work next month and am panicking about how the hell it's going to work. Hope all the babies figure out sleep soon!
    **July Siggy Challenge**

• I don't have any advice, but I want you to know that you are not alone. We have a horrible sleeper here as well, and I am so sleep deprived I wake up every morning with a headache. I don't remember what it's like to actually get restful sleep, I don't think. 

I know a lot of people aren't a fan of it, but have you considered sleep training? What sleep props do you use? Nurse to sleep? Rock to sleep? The No Cry Sleep Solution talks about weaning from sleep props. Or you could try laying him in his crib and soothing from the side of the crib. 

Huge huge hugs mama!
    Ugh, I'm with you with the waking up with a headache. I just said to my husband that I never feel good anymore! Always a headache or feeling like I have the worst hangover but didn't have any fun the night before either :). As far as sleep props, I used to nurse him to sleep but have stopped that, but now we mostly still have to rock him to sleep. I try from the side of his crib but he immediately sits/stands up in his crib if he's not asleep and then gets very mad wheb we try to lay him back down without first picking him up. But we're gonna have to try something soon.

• @etc35173‌
    I'm so excited now! Why didn't I order that seahorse before?!

I just literally ordered one yesterday for DD. It's going to be a present from her new baby brother.

We have our "Irish Twins"

DD born 8/7/2013

DS born 7/28/14

<>

• ludaliludali member
    I hear you on this...DD just turned 1, and she's finally sleeping til about 3 before she wakes, and then is up by 6 for the day.  So if I can get to bed early, that stretch before 3ish is really nice.  Can you get to bed any earlier?  I seriously can't recall staying up past 10 in a long time other than the 4th of July.
  • @ludali I stayed up until 930 the other night and of course LO had a bad night.... I was regretting that for sure! :(

• I've noticed our daughter started sleeping longer hours as she consumed more calories from food. We still give her 20 oz of pumped breast milk thru out the day but she also eats 3 meals plus 1-2 snacks (real food, not baby food). She loves to eat and I think this helps her sleep really well. I tried sleep training bc tho she sleeps great once asleep, she fights going to bed (especially naps). I couldn't deal with any crying so we just went back to rocking her and she gets a solid 11-12 hrs. But i think the food is what helps. Hope this is useful!
  • ludali said:

ELauren88 said:

I hear you on this...DD just turned 1, and she's finally sleeping til about 3 before she wakes, and then is up by 6 for the day.  So if I can get to bed early, that stretch before 3ish is really nice.  Can you get to bed any earlier?  I seriously can't recall staying up past 10 in a long time other than the 4th of July.

Yep, I usually go to bed as soon as he does, so as long as I can fall asleep then I sleep when he does! Sometimes he gets up like 20 minutes after we put him down too. It's so weird. Hoping it gets better soon.

• ludaliludali member
    Oh yeah @KatieRu920 - we had a waker about 30 minutes after bed too!  I'd just lay her back down, give her her blanket and rub her belly or back - and leave.  Minimal attention.  It does get better...I promise!
  • I know you said you haven't been on much but if you had, or if you searched the board you'd see you are far from the only person dealing with this. 

Not only is it absolutely normal and developmentally appropriate for babies to still wake frequently at this age, but this can be the worst time for sleep because of the major gross motor milestones LOs are currently trying to reach. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"