3rd Trimester
Options

Am I Being Unreasonable?

Hi everyone.  I wanted to get some input (and possible scolding if necessary) as to whether I am being unreasonable or overly emotional about a situation I am facing.  I am a STM and about 34 weeks into a high risk pregnancy (severe pre-term pre-e during first pregnancy that led to delivery via emergency c-section at 32 weeks).  Several months ago a friend offered to throw me a "sprinkle" since my toddler (2+) is a girl, and I am currently expecting a boy (EDD 08/27) this pregnancy.  (I will add that I previously co-hosted her bridal shower and baby shower which were both large, elaborate affairs).  Even though I had not anticipated anyone throwing me any kind of shower since this is my second child, she insisted that she wanted to throw a "sprinkle" since my first baby shower was somewhat ruined by my early delivery (I wasn't pregnant anymore, my daughter was still in the NICU, I was extremely emotional and in a lot of pain from my c-section, etc.).  Several of my other friends that I work with also expressed wanting to assist in throwing a sprinkle (or were willing to hold something separately), which I told my friend who had originally brought up the idea and she told me just to have them contact her so they could plan it together.  I will add that my friend was currently about 34 weeks pregnant when she made the offer, and that she just gave birth on May 26 (she is a FTM).  When she offered to hostess a sprinkle I expressed concern as to whether she would be up for it (knowing how she is because she is far more easily overwhelmed then I am and I knew being a FTM might be more stressful than she was anticipating), and I told her that if at any time she wasn't up for it to let me know since my friends at work had said they were happy to take over planning.  She assured me that she would be up for planning one for mid-July, and would let me know if she wasn't up for it.  About 3 weeks ago one of my friends at work asked me for her number to reach out to her about planning, what she wanted others to do, etc., and she never responded to her even though I know she got her text message.  I also mentioned to her that my friends at work wanted to know what the plan was, and again, wanted to know what they could do to help, and she told me she would text them back.  My friends at work were hesitant to plan anything because they didn't want to "step on her toes" since she was the first one to come up with the idea, but at the same time want to do something for me before it is too late.  Yesterday she finally texted my friend from work (and me) and suggested a date of August 9th for the sprinkle (I have already been diagnosed with pre-e again this pregnancy and have been on modified bed rest since the end of May with high BP and protein in my urine, although luckily it is progressing slower this time).  However, in all likelihood I will already have delivered the baby, will be in the hospital, or will be on complete bedrest by August 9th, which is about 37 1/2 weeks pregnant.  The latest my doctor will let me go is 39 weeks, or August 20.  However, my friend is not available any other weekend between now and then as (1) this weekend is too soon to give anyone notice; (2) she is out of town next weekend; and (3) she has another conflict the weekend after.  When I told her I was likely to be in the hospital or already have given birth by then, she then suggested we either (1) throw the sprinkle without her (even though it was her idea and no one else did anything because she told them not to without her), or (2) wait until after the baby is born to have it, even though we don't actually know when I am going to have the baby, and if he is a preemie I don't want everyone around my newborn.  Am I being unreasonable in wanting to just tell her to forget it  and not have one at all because I feel like she is being selfish where other people wanted to do something and didn't because they were waiting on her to respond to them? Am I also being unreasonable in being upset with her for making me feel like she doesn't care about my feelings after all of the other stuff I've co-hosted for her?  I'm not being greedy and I really couldn't care if anyone even buys anything for the baby or not, but I do appreciate being "celebrated" as a person after going through a difficult pregnancy a second time, especially since I am the first person to step up for my other friends to plan stuff like this.  At this point I feel like having a sprinkle when I already feel like crap  and may not even be able to attend if it gets planned and then I'm giving birth or in the hospital will be more stressful then it is worth.  Or, should I just suck it up and schedule it for sometime after the baby is born, and cut her some slack since I know she is struggling with motherhood?

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable?

• Options

Darbie914 said:
    Hi everyone.  I wanted to get some input (and possible scolding if necessary) as to whether I am being unreasonable or overly emotional about a situation I am facing.  I am a STM and about 34 weeks into a high risk pregnancy (severe pre-term pre-e during first pregnancy that led to delivery via emergency c-section at 32 weeks).  Several months ago a friend offered to throw me a "sprinkle" since my toddler (2+) is a girl, and I am currently expecting a boy (EDD 08/27) this pregnancy.  (I will add that I previously co-hosted her bridal shower and baby shower which were both large, elaborate affairs).  Even though I had not anticipated anyone throwing me any kind of shower since this is my second child, she insisted that she wanted to throw a "sprinkle" since my first baby shower was somewhat ruined by my early delivery (I wasn't pregnant anymore, my daughter was still in the NICU, I was extremely emotional and in a lot of pain from my c-section, etc.).  Several of my other friends that I work with also expressed wanting to assist in throwing a sprinkle (or were willing to hold something separately), which I told my friend who had originally brought up the idea and she told me just to have them contact her so they could plan it together.  I will add that my friend was currently about 34 weeks pregnant when she made the offer, and that she just gave birth on May 26 (she is a FTM).  When she offered to hostess a sprinkle I expressed concern as to whether she would be up for it (knowing how she is because she is far more easily overwhelmed then I am and I knew being a FTM might be more stressful than she was anticipating), and I told her that if at any time she wasn't up for it to let me know since my friends at work had said they were happy to take over planning.  She assured me that she would be up for planning one for mid-July, and would let me know if she wasn't up for it.  About 3 weeks ago one of my friends at work asked me for her number to reach out to her about planning, what she wanted others to do, etc., and she never responded to her even though I know she got her text message.  I also mentioned to her that my friends at work wanted to know what the plan was, and again, wanted to know what they could do to help, and she told me she would text them back.  My friends at work were hesitant to plan anything because they didn't want to "step on her toes" since she was the first one to come up with the idea, but at the same time want to do something for me before it is too late.  Yesterday she finally texted my friend from work (and me) and suggested a date of August 9th for the sprinkle (I have already been diagnosed with pre-e again this pregnancy and have been on modified bed rest since the end of May with high BP and protein in my urine, although luckily it is progressing slower this time).  However, in all likelihood I will already have delivered the baby, will be in the hospital, or will be on complete bedrest by August 9th, which is about 37 1/2 weeks pregnant.  The latest my doctor will let me go is 39 weeks, or August 20.  However, my friend is not available any other weekend between now and then as (1) this weekend is too soon to give anyone notice; (2) she is out of town next weekend; and (3) she has another conflict the weekend after.  When I told her I was likely to be in the hospital or already have given birth by then, she then suggested we either (1) throw the sprinkle without her (even though it was her idea and no one else did anything because she told them not to without her), or (2) wait until after the baby is born to have it, even though we don't actually know when I am going to have the baby, and if he is a preemie I don't want everyone around my newborn.  Am I being unreasonable in wanting to just tell her to forget it  and not have one at all because I feel like she is being selfish where other people wanted to do something and didn't because they were waiting on her to respond to them? Am I also being unreasonable in being upset with her for making me feel like she doesn't care about my feelings after all of the other stuff I've co-hosted for her?  I'm not being greedy and I really couldn't care if anyone even buys anything for the baby or not, but I do appreciate being "celebrated" as a person after going through a difficult pregnancy a second time, especially since I am the first person to step up for my other friends to plan stuff like this.  At this point I feel like having a sprinkle when I already feel like crap  and may not even be able to attend if it gets planned and then I'm giving birth or in the hospital will be more stressful then it is worth.  Or, should I just suck it up and schedule it for sometime after the baby is born, and cut her some slack since I know she is struggling with motherhood?
    You should decline offers of another shower altogether.  Regardless of how your first shower turned out, they are to welcome the MTB to motherhood and once you are a mother, you cannot be rewelcomed.  Having a child of the opposite sex does not warrant another shower.

If they want to do something to celebrate, you could suggest a ladies lunch or maybe you could all go get pedicures or something.
    I get that, but it wasn't an offer of another "shower."  There is a distinct difference between a "shower" and a "sprinkle" and what you just suggested they do is almost exactly what a sprinkle is . . . https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/fashion/celebrating-a-new-baby-but-modestly.html?_r=0
  • Options
    Given the circumstances, I think your friend tried to make it work out and unfortunately it didn't. Maybe she is having a hard time just flat out saying that.

Although I am sure this is something that you were definitely looking forward to (especially considering the difficulty of this pregnancy and your previous) I agree with PP that maybe it is best to let go and focus on getting through the next few weeks. 

If your friend/coworkers decide to throw you something anyways, more power to them, but I wouldn't push the issue further.

BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I frankly didn't want to do anything at all, I had never even heard of a "sprinkle" before this, it was my friend who offered to throw it who told me about this new stupid thing that she wanted to do and who insisted upon it.  I understand that there are a lot of people who think that a shower, or anything celebratory, for a second child is not PC, hence why I never wanted or expected something this pregnancy.  After my last one when I was such a wreck it was the last thing I wanted to do again in a high risk pregnancy.  I'm annoyed because now everyone at my office is upset and complaining to me about it (I'm not the one pushing it and never have been), and I feel like this is the last thing I should be dealing with, and I'm worried that my friend, who is an emotional wreck right now, is going to be upset when I tell her I don't want to do anything because she waited too long to plan it (after I told her from the beginning I didn't want it).

As for the whole being "celebrated" thing, if you have never gone through an experience like my first pregnancy then you really shouldn't judge (since both me and my child almost died), and second, it was my friend who termed it like that, not me.  I'm just human enough to admit that its nice when your friends want to do something for you, and human enough to admit I was looking forward to it since my first pregnancy experience was so crappy.
  • Options

Darbie914 said:

As for the whole being "celebrated" thing, if you have never gone through an experience like my first pregnancy then you really shouldn't judge (since both me and my child almost died), and second, it was my friend who termed it like that, not me.  I'm just human enough to admit that its nice when your friends want to do something for you, and human enough to admit I was looking forward to it since my first pregnancy experience was so crappy.
    I am truly sorry that your first pregnancy was an unpleasant one.  Really.  And I apologize if my posts came off harsh.

But the thing is, having difficult pregnancies/trouble TTC really doesn't give people an excuse to brush off etiquette.  Celebrating is one thing but specifically having showers/sprinkles are another.  Yes, it's nice when people want to do nice things for you and yes, I'm sure you were looking forward to it.  There are other ways to celebrate aside from having showers.

I totally understand that, but my point is I never wanted anything because I personally think that it is improper etiquette, which I voiced to my friend at the time she offered (mind you, she is the kind of person who had 3 bridal showers and a multitude of baby showers so her opinion on etiquette is very different than mine), and she blew off my concerns about etiquette.  I would have much preferred a simple lunch or something like that. I feel like she steamrolled over my wishes from the beginning when I insisted I didn't want anything, and now I am dealing with the fallout from her dropping the ball (and hurt feelings that she got me excited about it and then didn't follow through), along with snarkiness from my friends at work who are pissed that she blew them off when they wanted to do something.

And, none of this solves the problem I have of how to tell my friend now that I don't want her to do anything without her feeling like I'm upset with her for dropping the ball after she browbeat me into this.  My biggest concern is not hurting her feelings or making her feel bad when I already know she is not handling motherhood well (which I tried to warn her about from the beginning).
  • Options
    Dude TRUST ME, you do not want to play the Pain Olympics here
    No, I don't.  Difficult pregnancies and horror stories are not what this is about, its not a competition to see who has had the worst experience. This forum is meant to provide support and constructive advice, not to judge people if you don't know where they are coming from or what their own personal experience is.
  • Options
    yeah.yeah. member
    Darbie914 said:

I am truly sorry that your first pregnancy was an unpleasant one.  Really.  And I apologize if my posts came off harsh.

But the thing is, having difficult pregnancies/trouble TTC really doesn't give people an excuse to brush off etiquette.  Celebrating is one thing but specifically having showers/sprinkles are another.  Yes, it's nice when people want to do nice things for you and yes, I'm sure you were looking forward to it.  There are other ways to celebrate aside from having showers.

But to play devil's advocate: she's not asking for another shower. Someone offered to throw her one. They even suggested a meet the baby party after the birth. These are all "rules" you guys spout on here all the time!

OP: I would tell her not to worry about it since the timing isn't working out. Everyone can meet the baby when you're ready.
  • Options

FFS, no one is judging you. You asked if you were being unreasonable, some people said yes. You received a lot of support and sympathy for your complicated pregnancies. What exactly is the problem here? 

I've taken offense (perhaps unfairly so) at your assumption that anyone who you disagree with must have NO IDEA what you've been through. That's a ridiculous assumption to make on a board full of pregnant strangers. 
    I wasn't directing that to everyone who disagreed with me, only to certain posters who offered nothing constructive or even responsive to my post. Also, I would assume that there ARE people here who have been through a traumatic pregnancy, and would think they are the ones who have not made unnecessarily rude comments.

• Options
    I disagree, there are portions of posts that were snarky and unnecessarily rude for no reason (e.g., lipstick on a pig). However, for the posts that offered constructive advice on how to tell my friend thanks but no thanks (like I've been trying to do since the beginning), thank you. Hopefully she takes it well and doesn't feel like I'm upset with her.
  • Options
    If your coworkers still want to have a sprinkle why not just tell them to set up a time and ya'll can go out to lunch/dinner together (if you feel up to it). That way they get to spend time celebrating you the way they wanted to all along but it isn't a big event that needs much planning.
    As for your friend planning a formal sprinkle... I think 37 1/2 weeks is late in the game even for a low risk pregnancy, I would just say thanks but no thanks at this point in time. I would be miffed too if someone said they were going to do something and then didn't, but I wouldn't hold it against her (and it doesn't seem to me that you will) you said she is stressing right now so it is easy to forgive and forget.
  • Options
    Talk to your friend and gently decline her offer as you are concerned that you might not be there. Let her know you really appreciate her offer but the timing won't work out and there isn't much you will need anyway since you are a STM.  As the PP's have indicated, a sip or a party after to celebrate your LO might be the way to go.  Gifts are completely optional as there is zero expectation at this type of event and you will avoid any social kickback for a second shower.  As far as your coworkers are concerned, I would let them know they can plan any type of event they would like, or not, since it is so late.  :)  I hope it works out for you!
  • Options
    I've had multiple people offer to throw me a sprinkle or a mini shower (this is my second) and I just told them all thanks but no thanks. 

No one took offense to it. I figure it someone was hell bent on throwing me something they would just throw it. 

It stinks you a had a tough first pregnancy but people will still get you stuff to celebrate if they really want to. I always get my friends little gifts to celebrate the birth of a new child. 

You should feel special that many people thought to do this for you :)
  • Options
    jenn43jenn43 member

Am I being unreasonable in wanting to just tell her to forget it  and not have one at all because I feel like she is being selfish where other people wanted to do something and didn't because they were waiting on her to respond to them? Am I also being unreasonable in being upset with her for making me feel like she doesn't care about my feelings after all of the other stuff I've co-hosted for her?  I'm not being greedy and I really couldn't care if anyone even buys anything for the baby or not, but I do appreciate being "celebrated" as a person after going through a difficult pregnancy a second time, especially since I am the first person to step up for my other friends to plan stuff like this.  At this point I feel like having a sprinkle when I already feel like crap  and may not even be able to attend if it gets planned and then I'm giving birth or in the hospital will be more stressful then it is worth.  Or, should I just suck it up and schedule it for sometime after the baby is born, and cut her some slack since I know she is struggling with motherhood?
    No, that is not unreasonable.  I had family that wanted to throw a shower, and I ended up politely declining because I just didn't feel up to being around 40 people.  
  • Options
    Meery82Meery82 member
    edited July 2014

LOL at a Sprinkle not being a shower.  A Sprinkle is a ridiculously stupid name for a shower because people want what they want regardless of how rude or tacky it is, so they slapped a new name on it to try and disguise it.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day, it's still a pig.  Sorry.

/not relevant
    Now how is this offensive?!

Love that blue eyeshadow.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm sorry you had a difficult first pregnancy. And I'm sorry that your second one seems to be heading in the same direction. HOWEVER, difficult pregnancies don't mean that you get multiple showers, even if the first one wasn't ideal.

Simply tell your friend that the time in which she's available, likely won't work for you. Thank her for her generosity and desire to do something nice for you, and decline the offer.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    I can appreciate that you're first birth experience was difficult. But you had a shower AND a take home baby. So while it was complicated and hard, saying it was crappy just kind of rubs me the wrong way. I think it's nice that they wanted to do something for you, but my reaction would just be to politely tell everyone involved that it just didn't work out. Maybe host your own sip and see when the baby is born, as a non gift-giving event and invite all the people who tried to make this "sprinkle" happen. Also that word makes me want to vomit.
    ^ That. *shudder*

Also, OP, just chillax. Keeping things low-key for yourself and not drama-filled will make the remainder of your pregnancy more pleasant, I'd think. The less you've got to worry about- the less stress you have hanging over your head- would benefit your LO and you greatly since you're already predisposed for a more difficult time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"