Working Moms
Options

talk to me about 1) leap pad games and 2)Wii games if you know about either one...

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited July 2014 in Working Moms
DD is asking for a leap pad for her bday b/c she saw some others kids' pads at school. I debated an ipad instead but she is very insistent on the leap pad and the ipad has drawbacks too obviously. The $25 game price tag is getting to me though--- is the $25 princess leap pad game way better than a 1.99 princess app on an ipad??? Are these games in depth enough for that price??? I'm just torn about the whole thing.

DS asked for a Wii. I would not ordinarily entertain this just yet (they're turning 5) but little does he know, we already own a Wii but just have never set it up in our house so that the kids wouldn't know we had it.  I might be willing to pull it out & 'give' it to him but I'm concerned that the newer games won't work on it, it is one of the original ones I think (2nd generation at the newest if that exists)... anyone know about how new Wii games work on old Wiis? We have very few games- the sports one that came w/ it, plus we have the wii fitness pad & the game that came w/ that.  I know there is some pad thingee that you have to buy to work w/ certain games and that the Wii U games won't work but what about just a plain old simple game disc that are not 'Wii U'?  We also only have the rectangular remote looking controllers if that matters?

Re: talk to me about 1) leap pad games and 2)Wii games if you know about either one...

• Options
    FemShepFemShep member
    edited July 2014
    Leap pads aren't worth it. As you've seen, the games are ridiculously expensive and just aren't that good. An iPad or android tablet is a better purchase. WiiU games do not work with a Wii, but you would likely find older, used Wii games on Craigslist or at GameStop. Most developers don't support the Wii any longer, so I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if you have the Wii already, it's probably not a bad idea.
  • Options
    shannmshannm member
    FemShep said:
    Leap pads aren't worth it. As you've seen, the games are ridiculously expensive and just aren't that good. An iPad or android tablet is a better purchase. WiiU games do not work with a Wii, but you would likely find older, used Wii games on Craigslist or at GameStop. Most developers don't support the Wii any longer, so I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if you have the Wii already, it's probably not a bad idea.
    Totally agree
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She is killing me with the leap pad thing...I was going to give her my ipad and buy myself a new one but she doesn't want it, all bc her best friend at school has a leap pad....ugh. It is the only thing other than impossible to find frozen stuff that she asked for for her bday and I know she will be upset...I will have to figure out some approach, I don't want to indulge w something not worth it but also don't want to buy an ipad she won't use. Re the wii I looked on their website and there are a ton of wii games, categorizd differently than wii u games...am I missing something?
  • Options
    Does your DD know she can watch movies and tv on the iPad? Maybe that would change her mind. Our 3 year old loves the iPad. There's so many free or inexpensive games for it. I cannt imagine buying a Leap pad. Sounds like a piece of junk to me.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    The only leap pad product we have is the Scout reader that you put on the books, and the only time I buy books for that (all two times) they've been on clearance for $5-6 at Target. DS's little friend has one that she gets to use on planes or long car rides, and it seems to be ok, but I wasn't interested enough to think about getting him one.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    groovygrl said:
    She is killing me with the leap pad thing...I was going to give her my ipad and buy myself a new one but she doesn't want it, all bc her best friend at school has a leap pad....ugh. It is the only thing other than impossible to find frozen stuff that she asked for for her bday and I know she will be upset...I will have to figure out some approach, I don't want to indulge w something not worth it but also don't want to buy an ipad she won't use. Re the wii I looked on their website and there are a ton of wii games, categorizd differently than wii u games...am I missing something?

I agree with FemShep. We have the leappad handed down from a cousin. The games are pretty horrible, especially when compared to my Fire. I see no upsides compared to a cheap tablet.

I am also mean and would use this as a lesson of you don't always get what you want. I would consider a new color case though on an old ipad or cheaper tablet.

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Leap pads are NOT worth it. In fact, I would suggest the middle ground of a kinlde fire. They are easy to navigate and work, and you can still download any android apps

The wii U games will not work on it, but all original Wii games will. Some of them may need the little add on the makes the wand more sensitive, but a game store people could tell you what ones. Best part is all the parts/games are super cheap now so it’s a good starter system. I would recommend getting the oringal Nintendo controllers for them for some of the games, which you can normally buy online for under $10 each.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Options
    I don't understand the Leap Pad/ Ipad comparison.  We bought DD a Leap Pad for her 2nd birthday because she had gotten tiered of sitting in the stroller and we needed to keep her contained because we like to go for runs with the jogging stroller.  Because she was so young she didn't really get it and we never really got into any games.  I downloaded a few episodes of some of her favorite shows, I think they were $5, but it could have been more like $15.  I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on a game so that if she throws the thing out of the stroller it was $100 toy she was breaking and not a $1000 toy.  She got alot of use out of it for a good 2 years.  I think she really enjoyed that it was hers, although she also really enjoys the IPad now, and now I trust her with the Ipad in the stroller.

I think it's totally different from an Ipad, no better or worse. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"