September 2014 Moms
Options

Coffee drinkers...

After reading the sushi thread, I am just curious, how many of you ladies are still drinking regular coffee?

I gave up the regular stuff after 1st tri, my doctor is pretty serious about no coffee in 3rd tri, not sure why.  I do drink decaf though and have a caffeine soda once a day...I am so tired, I wish I could drink an entire pot of coffee seriously.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Coffee drinkers...

• Options
    I'm not going to lie, I definitely made a cup of starbucks coffee in my Keurig yesterday just to take a few sips...I forgot how good regular coffee was...o m g

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    On occasion and no more than 1c/day. But that's because my thyroid meds will make me jittery.
  • Options
    I still drink it, but not daily. A medium iced coffee 1-2 times a week I'd say.
  • Options
    kmbk27kmbk27 member
    Still drinking coffee here. I could have gone through a pot a day pre-pregnancy. Then I couldn't stomach any coffee at all through 21 weeks. Now I'm back to drinking regular coffee - at least a cup a day.

^^^ September Signature: TV series I plan on binge watching with my newborn I do what I want. ^^^

image    image

<3 Gage Douglas 09.04.2014...my sunshine after the rain.

• Options
    mjvoissemmjvoissem member
    edited July 2014
    I still drink coffee everyday.  If I know I want to have more than one cup, I'll have one caffeinated and the rest non-caffeinated.  My doctor said it was fine to continue to drink coffee, just not to drink it all day.  One cup of caffeinated coffee a day won't hurt anything.

• Options
    The only thing I read online about drinking it 3rd tri was on baby center.

"These effects may be more pronounced as your pregnancy progresses. That's because your body's ability to break down caffeine slows, so you end up with a higher level of it in your bloodstream. During the second trimester, it takes almost twice as long to clear caffeine from your body as when you're not pregnant. During the third trimester, it takes nearly three times as long."

He could've said that to me because I'm also on thyroid medication, didn't think of that and didn't really think to ask, now that I'm curious I will probably ask at my next appt. 

• Options
    @lexit88 I am on Synthoid for hypothyroidism and I have never heard this.  Ask your doctor next time you go.  I am super curious and I hope I am not doing something that is bad. 

Edit to add that I am going to ask my MFM about this on Friday when I go.  
    My next appointment is next Thursday, so let me know what you find out, I'll definitely ask too!  I am on the same medication.  I think he might've mentioned something about caffeine addiction for the baby or something, I don't remember him mentioning anything about my thyroid so definitely don't stress over it!

• Options
    I'm still drinking it, but not every day. I cut it out in the first tri when it made me sick, but I discovered that iced coffee doesn't have that effect. So I'm getting an iced coffee several times a week. I'm too lazy to make it for myself at home, plus we never have enough ice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I drink 1 cup every morning and I don't feel an ounce of guilt. It's one of life's pleasures for me. Plus my OB and everything I've read says that 1-2 cups/day or less than 200mg caffeine is perfectly fine. I didn't/couldn't drink it during 1st tri due to nausea/aversions but I couldn't live without it now.
  • Options
    I still drink coffee but not every day and I switch between drip coffee at home and small espresso made with a milk base. My parents owned a drive through coffee shop for several years so I'm doing well if I have one cup a day! :)
  • Options
    I probably do one or 2 caffeinated coffee's per week.  Other than that I do one or 2 cups of decaf per day.  I do miss the caffine here and there though!
    DH and I Married 11.12.10
    First BPP 1.24.14
    EDD 9.26.14

Baby Cooper John born on 9.24.14 6lbs9oz

• Options
    Me! I gave it up initially first tri for a few months. Then decided I was crazy. I don't drink it every day though, it's more of a treat. I mentally stick with a "one caffeinated drink" per day rule...whether soda, iced tea, or coffee. I know the levels vary greatly in each drink, but I feel less guilty this way.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    JD83 said:
    I drink coffee every day, usually two cups on the larger side. I whip it up with some coconut oil and unsalted butter and it's so much better than anything Starbucks has ever concocted. My kid might come out a coffee addict, but a couple cups of coffee is not like spending your whole day pounding Red Bull and Mt Dew.
    I'm very intrigued by this. Does it taste really coconut-y? How much butter do you use?

I've only done decaf lattes during pregnancy even though I know a cup or two of coffee is fine. I probably eat enough chocolate to make up for the caffeine (bad me).
    IAmPregnant Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    Me, especially on working mornings. @LexiT88‌ I'm curious why your doctor doesn't want you to have coffee but is ok with caffeinated soda, is it the amount that is the issue?
  • Options
    starmile said:
    I do. I keep in under the 200mg limit I was given, and it's not everyday, but I don't deprive myself if I need or want some.
    Same here. I wouldn't be able to function some days without coffee.
  • Options

I do - I still have about a cup a day. You must understand this is a giant feat for me as I drank almost a whole pot a day before BFP. I also used to have 1 or 2 cocktails when I got home, and smoke - none of which I do now.

So my one cup of coffee a day is my solace in my world of withdrawals, lol. :D

This is me exactly. If I lost coffee too I would've died probably.

Oh I hear ya! I realized early in my pregnancy that emotional peaks and valleys are not really a hormonal thing - it's because we can't have any stress-relieving vices- we can't drink, we can't smoke, so I thought - "Well at least I can have a donut!"

Now I have GD and I can't even do that. :(

Coffee it is. :)

Although, I will say - I do feel better after quitting smoking. Not like I'm surprised, but I don't think I will pick the habit back  up again once LO is here.

I already have plans for the best Manhattan ever when I get home from the hospital though, lol. :D

• Options
    I could not function without my daily coffee

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Jenner37 said:
    Me, especially on working mornings. @LexiT88‌ I'm curious why your doctor doesn't want you to have coffee but is ok with caffeinated soda, is it the amount that is the issue?
    I suppose so.  When I initially was talking to him about it I also had told him I drank at least a pot a day....from what I understand, everything/everyone else says 200 mg a day is fine. 

• Options
    I mostly drink decaf (about one a day) during the week, only because otherwise I'm a little jittery... BUT I do get DH to make me a regular latte once or twice during the weekends :D
    ~All are welcome~
    MC 23/01/2013 natural @ 7 Weeks

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    keverest keverest member
    edited July 2014
    Somehow I still don't like coffee (not sure if thats a blessing in disguise) but I looooove me an ice cold Coke from the fountain (McD's is my fave) and I have one probably 3-4 times a week, my dr said as long as I'm not having 3-4 A DAY i'm totally fine. Like PPs I cut it out for the first few months and craved it so much after morning sickness went away, so I didn't deprive myself :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    slowmoslowmo member
    I lost my taste for hot coffee in the first trimester so I was drinking a cup or two of black tea instead. When the weather warmed up, I discovered I still loved iced coffee so I've been having one at the beginning of my shifts. For some reason, hot coffee still doesn't taste good to me. Anyway, my doctor also told me to limit caffeine to 200mg/day, which is about one tall Starbucks. I get my tall iced coffee in a grande cup and top it with milk so it feels like I'm having more!
  • Options
    Like @1983lindsey my IF brain went on overdrive during first tri and I managed to cut out all caffeine. Once I hit second tri, I did start allowing myself caffeine here and there...b/c like she also mentioned, 200mg a day is a-ok. I do drink mostly decaf still, just because I LOVE the taste! I will treat myself to a cup of regular, iced coffee, or Diet Coke every once and a while...that usually happens once a week or every other week. I'm just so used to not having it and I get super jittery if I drink to much
    {Me:27, Dx:PCOS, LPD, & rob(14;15)}
    {DH:31 all clear, "super sperm"}
    Ecstatically married July 30, 2011--TTC since Jan 2013:::Baby #1 due 9/11, Conceived on cycle #5 of Femara + Hcg + IUI
    ~Love and Light to everyone~ 
    image image
    My furbabies--Mr. Bubbles and Miss Kitty <3
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

image image
  • Options
    oh yeah, two kids and preggo, need coffee. I couldn't drink it during the most severe of my morning sickness, and there are days I don't drink it until afternoon because of the morning heaves but otherwise, no need to quit=not quitting

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

baby #3 arrived in September 2014...cannot get ticker to work no matter what I try!

• Options
    I specifically asked my endo if coffee was bad with synthroid and he said no, it may just make me jittery just like any other time I drink too much of it.
  • Options
    I'm jealous of y'all. I would still be drinking coffee everyday if it didn't make me sick:( I miss my coffee!!

I think the sickness is getting better bc I actually had a few sips of a frappe and it didn't make me want to throw up, but the smell still makes me violently gag. I can't even go down the coffee isle at the grocery store, makes me sad!
  • Options
    Yes (and the occasional half glass of Chardonnay)!
  • Options
    I didn't plan on giving up caffeine when I got pregnant, as I have always been a coffee addict.  But, when I was 4 weeks pregnant, the mere smell or sight of coffee suddenly made me violently ill.  I use to cry when DH made it in the house.  It seemed like a cruel joke that my favorite thing was the thing I hated the most.  That passed at about 4 months, but I really didn't have a desire for caffeine.  Then at 24 weeks, I had a tall iced latte from starbucks, and started getting one of those a couple of times a week.  On vacation at 28 weeks, I indulged in one cup every morning with my mom's Keurig, and I have kept that habit up ever since.  I had never heard that there was any risk in 3rd trimester, as long as you were under 200 (or even 300 according to some sources) mg  of caffeine a day.  It has really made me happy to have my morning coffee back!
  • Options
    I was absolutely obsessed with coffee pre pregnancy, but stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I started having decaf on the weekends once I got to 2nd tri but I usually waste it because it's just not the same
    :-( This post is making me want to say F it and drink whatever I want!
  • Options
    Pre-pregnancy I was a 3-4 cup a day coffee drinker. I couldn't drink it for the first trimester even though I wanted it because it made me feel so sick. But I've been drinking 1-2 cups a day since then. I made a joke a brunch the other day with some of Hubbs' cousins about baby needing his fix and they all stared at me awkwardly so I just mumbled something about the doctor saying it was fine. 
  • Options

My doctor said 1-2 cups a day is fine and oh yes. I sometimes even push that a little ooooops

Exactly this!

BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Options
    I drink a cup of coffee a day or 1-2 cups of tea a day (though if DH catches me drinking coffee he usually takes my cup and drinks half of it).  Echoing what everyone else has been saying, 200 mg or less of caffeine a day is supposed to be safe.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cls0602 said:

I was absolutely obsessed with coffee pre pregnancy, but stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I started having decaf on the weekends once I got to 2nd tri but I usually waste it because it's just not the same
    :-( This post is making me want to say F it and drink whatever I want!

Feeling the same way now. I actually get mad at DH when he drinks from my one soda/tea for the day. Lol

Ps synthroid ladies, this is what my doctor told me with my first pregnancy. I had not been diagnosed with hypothyroidism until this pregnancy. Just remembered so his opinion is definitely not synthroid related.

• Options
    I started craving coffee in the third tri. It has to be black. I can't drink it sweetened or with milk/creamer anymore. I drink more than I should- 2+ larger cups a day. I try not to over do it though. It's really freaking hard now that I "need" it every day. One of the weirdest cravings for me ever lol
  • Options
    I drink coffee whenever I feel like it, which is about 2-3 times a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"