Preemies

Drastic Gains in Weight

XathXath member
My little guy was born at 35w2 weighing 6lbs7oz.  I weighed him 2 days ago and he was 14.6 lbs.  He's 12 weeks today and weighs 15.6 lbs.  I checked the percentile charts and that puts him above 97% for 3 month olds, and he has a week to go before he's 3 months.  He was in the 4% at his one month appointment and 58% at his 2 month appointment.  With my oldest, his percentiles have stayed fairly consistent from birth.  I know that they think his growth is normal as long as his percentiles stay the same.  But DS2 has jumped the chart, and already more than doubled his birth weight in 12 weeks.  Is this normal for preemies, or something I should keep an eye on? 
Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
 DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Drastic Gains in Weight

• KTZ17KTZ17 member
    Is he breastfed or formula fed? And is he on any kind of fortifier? If he's BF and gaining so much, I think he's just eating well and you have a great supply! If he's formula fed or taking pumped milk with a fortifier, he might be overeating. That is substantial weight gain, but if your doctor is not concerned then I would just take it as you have a very healthy boy!!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • My pedi is always most concerned about if DS is proportional rather than his actual size. He's a little guy and barely on the chart but his body has grown everywhere. Does that make sense? I can't brain today.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• Loading the player...
  • XathXath member
    Weighed him this morning and he was 16lbs even.  He's EBF now.  We were fortifying with added formula for calories for the first 8 weeks, but stopped weeks ago.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • If he seems happy and is pooping regularly, I'm not sure that I would be too concerned. DS2 was born at 36w at 5 lb. 6 oz. and is easily 12 lbs. now at almost 12 weeks. I thought that was a huge gain. Pedi wasn't too concerned, but said that was an extraordinary weight gain. I'm ok with it because DS1 (born at 32w3d) was 6 months old before he hit 12 lbs! Was his 2 month well check weight ok? 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My oldest was born at 37w1d, so not a preemie, but did gain weight very quickly. He was born at 6lbs, and was 9lbs at one month and 13lbs at 2mo. He was gaining a pound a week for a while.

Looking back, I prob had an oversupply and he did spit up quite a bit but nothing to be concerned about. He's 4 now and is a giant (95%+ plus in both height and weight) so go figure.

The only maybe minor concern I would have is reflux or silent reflux. Sometimes babies are more prone to soothe the acid burn w milk. But with no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry.

• XathXath member
    We ended up going to the doctor today because he has an ear infection, and I asked her about the weight while we were there.  She said he may be over-eating, but she's not concerned.  I'll see his regular pedi in a month, and we'll talk about it more.  Thank you all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"