Preemies
Options

Colic baby and don't know what else to do Help!

Hi! My baby was born 26weeks gest and is now five weeks (estimated age). She came over June 2nd and we were so excited. I am still happy, but when she is colic and I try everythting I run out of patience and feel frustrated because I just want her to be a happy baby. She is taking prevacid for her reflux at night time only and she takes Colic Calm when she is colic crying and super gassy enough to make her uncomfortable. When I pick her up she usually calms down so I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Why can't she just relax in her elevated pack and play. I tried the Mama Roo and even the Rock and Play. I don't know what to do and need advice?

Re: Colic baby and don't know what else to do Help!

• Options
    That makes me feel better and hope that it gets better soon. I have the mamaroo swing but when she is colic nothing seems to help her. Sometimes I go through everything and holding her works with cries in between. I can't wait for it to get easier. This has been so difficult and like a roller coaster since she was in NICU.
  • Options
    Our DD had a tough adjustment when she came home. I wouldn't say she was colicky, but she cried/screamed a lot, especially in the evening. She usually settled if we strapped her into a carrier (moby or ergo). Our babies are now 3 months adjusted and getting better. Hang in there, you're not doing anything wrong! And remember, there's nothing wrong with putting her down somewhere safe and walking away for a few minutes if you need a break. Also, earplugs are great, you can still hear her, but it dulls the crying (which we find increases our patience! ) while you're trying to console her.
    Me: 33 DH: 36 Unexplained IF
    First pregnancy - DS 01-Apr-09;
    3rd cycle Clomid/IUI after 2 years TTC
    TTC #2 since ~June 2010
    IUI #1 & 2 - Clomid/IUI - BFN
    IUI #3 &4 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFN
    IUI #5 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFP!!
    EDD: March 22, 2013
    It's triplets!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much rc navy wife. That really helps me. I will definitely walk away and put her in a crib if I need a break. I haven't thought of earplugs. Good idea!
  • Options
    With my twins, they sometimes did just need to be held. A soft carrier really helped a lot! Bonus is it helps them grow and feed better, too. When you can't calm her down, revert to the 5 s method - works every time. Swaddle, Side (hold her on her side), Suck (pacifier), Sway, and Shush (sometimes loudly). Google it if you think I'm crazy. ;) The beginning was definitely the hardest - mine just hit 3 months (8 weeks adjusted) and they're doing SO much better. BTW - giving gas drops also seemed to help some. They have no side effects bc they're not absorbed by the body, can be given at every feeding, and can be given to the newest of newborns. Hang in there, momma!
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • Options
    I was going to say something along the lines of @auntjessy. Definitely look into the Happiest Baby on the Block 5 s method or the Cuddle Cure. We are dealing with colic, and have tried everything. This seems to help. Good luck! I know the frustration very well!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I, held my daughter all day for 7 weeks. She slept 2 hours at a time during the night. Maybe one 10 minute nap all day. Approximately 12 hours each day.. Spent all day with her mouth wide open screaming. Tried colic calm and everything else out there.she was not the happiest baby on the block. Many days, both she and I would be crying. My arms were about to fall off and I didn't eat for weeks, but I could not put her down because she was my girl and screaming.just had to get through. 2 days after christmas, she started getting better. BYnew years, I was able to call myself she was okay. Just had to look through it. Nothing helped.

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    Last night was so hard. I tried colic calm, gas drops, and now Mother's Bliss. I now don't know what else to do. I tried the swaddling (she doesn't like to be swaddled anymore), shhing (doesn't calm her) swaying her (last for a little while), sucking (she gets so angry she doesn't want it), and side hold (works for a short time). I feel so sad. I know it passes but sometimes it is so draining and then I start to feel like I am not cut out for motherhood. Then I feel like a bad mother.
  • Options
    It sucks.
    Been through a nasty divorce, cancer, & infertility. This was the worst!

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    You are an awesome mother. Some babies are just harder to calm. Do you have a swing? DD is a fusspot and the swing is the only thing that pleases Her Majesty.

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"