June 2014 Moms
Options

Expectations vs. Reality

I remember all the threads asking what we were all looking forward to after having the baby/no longer being pregnant. I feel pretty differently now that it's actually happened. 

For me:

-I wanted to sleep on my stomach. Reality? At least one boob is rock hard and/or my nips are raw or sore. Stomach not really tempting anymore. No thanks.

-Wanted to have more sex/not pregnant sex. I'm not 4 weeks in yet, but so far I'm still pushing away baby blues, exhausted, still bleeding some and again, the unhappy boobs. Maybe I'll feel differently if I'm cleared at my 6 week PP OBGYN visit?

-Wanted to drink again, and margaritas. Reality is I've had ONE beer at dinner two nights ago in the past 3.5 weeks. This child is not on a predictable breastfeeding schedule and sometimes wants to eat - out of no where - every hour on random evenings or afternoons. Afraid of anything stronger than beer too. WTF?

- Breastfeeding is bonding time. Reality? I knew breastfeeding would be hard and do have it better than some, but still had no idea. No idea.

- Thought the weeks would fly by because everyone says they do. Reality? I feel chained to my house sometimes. Realizing how much it sucks to be far from any family/help also. Need to find time to pump more so at least I'm not the only one feeding her. Not sure how people don't do that for 6 whole weeks. That is a long time to have to run back home - if you can get out at all without the LO - to feed the baby. I got one pedicure I barely enjoyed because DH was home with her and I knew he couldn't console her if she woke up hungry and her food source was enjoying paraffin wax on her dry heels instead...sigh.

-Sleep when the baby sleeps...lies. Just lies.

Tag, you're it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Expectations vs. Reality

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Expectation: Breastfeeding would feel natural.
    Reality: it doesn't. It's hard. It hurts. I struggle to know if im doing what is best for DD. Is she getting enough food? Am I causing her reflux?

Expectation: My DD would be healthy, happy, and big (based on things doctors said).
    Reality: She hasn't gained enough weight and I deal with crazy mommy guilt over it.

^^ This! @juliesmiles you are not alone! Hang in there mama
  • Options
    I thought I would be the kind of mom that was happy to leave my husband with a bottle and go out and have fun.

Reality: when I'm out I'm stressed. Worried about the baby my boobs and worried my husband (or any family babysitter) will be "mad" if the baby cries (none of them would be). After an hour I'm so antsy to get home.
  • Options
    nutmegs8 said:

You covered it! So spot on.

I wanted my swelling to go away. It is, but my feet were swollen for so long that it's seemed to cause damage to my feet and they still hurt. So they're not swollen but I still have pain. Awesome.

I wanted to be able to sleep at night. Pumping makes this impossible, and if I do sleep then I wake up in a mess of leaky boobs.

I wanted to have beer. I can only handle half of one and have to time it perfectly to coincide when I won't be nursing shortly after.

I wanted to be able to breathe easier. This one I can do, yay!

I'm with you on the foot pain.  I was excited when the swelling went away, but then the pain hasn't subsided yet. I still have carpal tunnel in my hands and it almost feels like that in my feet when I get out of bed; joints hurt so bad.  My knees are also killing me; I can't do a squat without my knees almost giving out.

Expected DF to help way more than he has.  Reality: I've adjusted to basically doing everything on my own, but I would really like for him to spend time with her, not just when it's convenient for him.

I've been able to sleep on my belly because I'm not much of a leaker, but I find myself still sleeping on my side most of the time.

I expected to drink alcohol.  The reality is that I drink wine every night.  Win!

The closer my 6 week appointment gets, the hornier I get; 6 days to go.  I'm sure sex is going to hurt like a mofo, but I'll just be happy to know that I *can* if I want to.

I expected to breastfeed and be awesome at it. Reality: I'm an exclusive pumper now and my left boob is WAYYYYY bigger than the right.

Acid reflux has been gone since I pushed her out.  Childbirth was instant relief!

@nutmegs8‌ I thought I was going to have to EP and was mentally and physically preparing for the challenge. I salute you! EPing takes such a huge time commitment..
  • Options
    I love this thread!

Expectation: I would take LO almost anywhere. We would take walks and enjoy the summer.
    Reality: Leaving the house takes careful planning. Me NIP is limited. I don't like people breathing in my child.

Expectation: Sleep when the baby sleeps.
    Reality: I take more naps and have been able to sleep during the day (so new to me). However, DH fusses at me for not eating. Who has time to eat? I'd rather sleep. Thus, we fight.

Expectation: I will have a margarita.
    Reality: Like PP, LO's feeding schedule is to chaotic. I have a small freezer stash, but I felt guilty going against the pediatrician and the LC about introducing a bottle before one month.

Expectation: LO will be happy to eat.
    Reality: sometimes we battle it out. She's hungry, but only wants to eat in a certain position. She's picky!

Expectation: I'll wear my regular clothes or a few MAT pieces.
    Reality: Regular clothes don't fit. I'm done
    with MAT clothes! They make me look pregnant.

BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!
  • Options
    snuff9861 said:
    Expectation: I'd be breastfeeding since there's been no one in my family who's had difficulty. Reality: FF baby. It sucks. I hate bottle feeding, buying formula and washing bottles. I hate guessing whether or not he's getting enough. Silver lining is I can easily hand him off to others. Expectation: DH would be a great father. Reality: while he was amazing during our week long hospital stay, the novelty has worn off. He doesn't want to do feedings, take the time to soothe him or get up in the middle of the night. He doesn't help around the house. And I swear the other night he lifted him a little too hard out of the swing due to frustration. Expectation: I'd love being a mother. Reality: I'm losing my mind. I'm not enjoying my baby. Everyday I wake up crying because he's crying and it's just an endless cycle of trying to get him to sleep so I can do stuff and surviving until H gets home so I can hand the baby off.
    @snuff9861 I feel the exact same way, and I have terrible mommy guilt about it.  D is such a difficult baby, I feel like every day is Groundhog Day - a repetitive cycle of feeding, trying to keep him happy (but failing, because he cries every second he's awake), and trying (usually unsuccessfully) to get him to sleep.  I don't enjoy a second of the day.  My H "tries" to help but claims he doesn't have the patience to deal with him that I have.  It's got to get easier at some point... right?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Expectation: 2 under 2 would be hard.

Reality: 2 under 2 is fucking hard. I feel guilty for having another and for not having undivided attention for S. I feel bad for W that I can't give her the devotion I gave to S as a newborn. I'm afraid to leave my house alone. I need to learn to be in two places at once.
  • Options
    Expectation: DH would be there to help me at any moment while he was on leave.
    Reality: I can rely on him most of the time during the day, but at night he grunts about even having to pick LO up and walk him over to me to feed, falls right back asleep and I have to wake him 4 times to change a diaper so I can go pee. how am I supposed to leave him alone with LO if he can sleep through those horrible hunger cries or his "holding baby and bonding time" is playing computer games while LO is draped across his lap or when he believes in CIO from such an early age and doesn't see why I have to sooth the baby. It will only get worse when he is back to work full time.

Expectation: I'd love breast feeding and would be happy to do it for a year.
    Reality: I do it because I can and should, not because I want to. It doesn't feel special, beautiful, or magical. It is a chore and I'm not sure I'll make it past 6 months...hell I'm just shooting for 1 month at this point. It hurts, I have a terrible let down and over supply and DS has a hard time latching in the start of a feed.

Expectations: Babies poop and spit up but aren't gross.
    Reality: LO spits up tons after feeding, and poops more times in a day than I can count. There is breast milk and spit up on my sheets, my bra and his outfit right now and I just can't bring myself to care.

Expectation: I would have my body back and would feel like myself.
    Reality: My body still belongs to my baby. I also don't feel like me both physically and mentally yet.

Expectation: I'd feel better about my looks when I wasn't too huge to wear pants anymore.
    Reality: I miss my bump and I resent what my stomach looks like post c-section. I won't even look in the mirror. I know choosing the c-sec was the right choice for my baby, but I resent what it left me with. Not to mention despite being almost at pre-preg weight my old clothes don't even come close to fitting, still no pants, have to still wear (now frumpy) mat tops...

Expectations: happiness and joy and love
    Reality: mommy guilt all the time. If I can't sooth him, if I have to leave him, if he spits up, if I accident bump his head, if we have trouble with a feeding....nothing but mommy guilt.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    MNOpeaMNOpea member
    Expectation: baby would be just as chill as ds1
    Reality: baby is not chill, and definitely has a couple witching hours. He's also a big spitter, basically I don't know why I expected them to be the same when I know every baby is different.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Expectation: my older kids would be super helpful because they are so much older. Reality: They fetch diapers and formula so I can have an extra hand. However DS has been regressing on potty training (you're five. You know when you have to shit!) DD is doing ridiculous stuff for attention like talking to EVERYONE we meet in the store or having to be told repeatedly to stop sitting on every adult visitor we have. They get attention. We've done ice cream, fireworks, campfires/smores, trips to the park, etc and put baby to bed so we could both just hang with them. They're fighting constantly. I have been out on my own with all three. I've even been crazy enough to do a couponing trip to Walmart with them. That will never happen again. Ever.
  • Options
    Expectation: I'd have a bloody steak and red wine.
    Reality: I have not had a good steak and I've only wine tasted.

Expectation: my kid would be ugly.
    Reality: he's the cutest baby I've ever seen.

Expectation: H would help out more and not complain.
    Reality: He helps when C is being an easy baby but as soon as C gets cranky H is over it. And he complains when I ask him to get up in the middle of the night.
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Expectation: I can finally have a beer that I craved my whole pregnancy
    Reality: I took a drink the other day just to shut my husband up about it.

I can finally sleep on my stomach.
    Who has time to sleep? She cries and constantly wants to be held.

Stupidly that my husband would help cause he wasn't helpful with DS.
    I should of remembered what it felt like to practically be a single mom with DS cause its pretty much the same with 2 kids
  • Options
    Bozzy2Bozzy2 member
    Expectation: I would love being a mom.
    Reality: I love it most days but it's so hard.

Expectation: I would change all my ideas and plans for this baby.
    Reality: I have changed about 50% of my ideas and plans.
  • Options
    also hugs to @smhorak - i am so with you on so many of these. xo

• Options
    Expectation: I'll have a baby who's happy and smiling when he's awake.

Reality: He's fussy and squirmy nearly every time he's awake, and has colic screaming parties for hours almost every night.

I agree with so many other posts too.  Motherhood is ridiculously hard!

<3

• Options
    Great post. I read the OP to my DH and he asked me if I posted it. Completely spot on.

I guess my only other expectation was that I wouldn't be the only one that could get her to sleep. Reality is she basically needs to nurse to sleep. It's slowly killing me.
  • Options
    diagonalleydiagonalley member
    edited July 2014
    Expectation: I would have a June baby, born after the school year ended.

Reality: Not only did this baby come before the end of the school year, he came 7 weeks before the last day. So much for a late baby.

Expectation: Baby would come home with me from the hospital.

Reality: Baby spent 12 days in the NICU and came home on a monitor, which two months later, he still has.

Expectation: I would deliver vaginally without meds, and hoped for a short labor.

Reality: This pretty much happened exactly as I had hoped, thankfully considering the trauma of him being early. The only shocking part of labor was once I hit the second stage I didn't want anyone talking to me or touching me. I imagined doing all these coping techniques with DH. Nope, spent most of the time in bed.

Expectation: Baby would be breastfed and wear cloth diapers.

Reality: So far, so good. Still using a nipple shield that I had thought we weaned, but alas we didn't. I should try that again now that our lives are more settled, living in only one house.

Expectation: I'd love people holding my baby because I'd get a break.

Reality: sometimes I get insanely jealous of people snuggling my baby for hours on end. It bothers me less if the person is my family or friend. Sorry DH's people...(I don't know why but his mom and sister especially bug me! His mom always wants to wrap him up no matter how many times I tell stories of him being hot and sweaty. She also makes comments about the expense of cloth diapers. Shut up. Not your baby, not your money. Ugh)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

MNOpea said:

@MommyP710‌ just tell her at least you're not throwing your money away (which is what you do with disposable diapers!)

This. I got DH on board when we saw it would cost about $400 to cloth diaper and $2500 for disposables. Plus reusing for child #2! Although I understand MILs being set in their ways even when presented with facts.
    and many of them have great resale value!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS#1 was a really difficult baby since he had terrible reflux so I was prepared for the absolute worst. DS#2 is probably a normal baby but after our first he seems like a super easy baby. Now what I wasn't expecting was how difficult DS #1 was going to be..........last night he fought sleep forever so I couldn't go to bed while the baby slept. So cruel.
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options
    Expectation: birth would be manageable and not as painful as everyone made it seem (I had period cramps that I needed meds to manage pre-preg).
    Reality: I only had back labor and so it was nothing like menstrual cramps. And if I had made it to the hospital sooner it would have been a drugged labor fosho :P

Expectation: DH would be mildly interested in LO but help out more with dishes, cleaning bathrooms, etc.
    Reality: DH loves holding, dressing, and changing his diaper (he gets to pick out the style for CD). Wants to get up for the MOTN feeding to help me stay awake but I usually let him sleep :P His wanting to interact so much surprised me the most honestly.

Expectation: There would be this insta-connection to LO and we would be emotionally and physically attached to one another. I expected to cry when he was born from happiness.
    Reality: I was more focused on the pain than LO when he was born. And I feel terrible for admitting that, but it's true. Maybe the connection will happen more when we are able to interact better than feed/change/sleep?

Expectation: I could totally wing this mommy thing and be the best mom ever.
    Reality: Motherhood is hard. And I feel PP on the mom-guilt -  when he can relax around others but works himself up for me because I'm the food-giver, it just makes me feel like a failure.

J14 Jan Siggy Challenge: Santorini

• Options

Expectation: birth would be manageable and not as painful as everyone made it seem (I had period cramps that I needed meds to manage pre-preg).
    Reality: I only had back labor and so it was nothing like menstrual cramps. And if I had made it to the hospital sooner it would have been a drugged labor fosho :P

Expectation: DH would be mildly interested in LO but help out more with dishes, cleaning bathrooms, etc.
    Reality: DH loves holding, dressing, and changing his diaper (he gets to pick out the style for CD). Wants to get up for the MOTN feeding to help me stay awake but I usually let him sleep :P His wanting to interact so much surprised me the most honestly.

Expectation: There would be this insta-connection to LO and we would be emotionally and physically attached to one another. I expected to cry when he was born from happiness.
    Reality: I was more focused on the pain than LO when he was born. And I feel terrible for admitting that, but it's true. Maybe the connection will happen more when we are able to interact better than feed/change/sleep?

Expectation: I could totally wing this mommy thing and be the best mom ever.
    Reality: Motherhood is hard. And I feel PP on the mom-guilt -  when he can relax around others but works himself up for me because I'm the food-giver, it just makes me feel like a failure.

Your second to last one was me 100%. I thought for sure I'd cry or want to snuggle right away, but when they put her on me right away I kind of just stared at her. The nurses thought I was in mild shock but idk. I felt terrible afterwards that I didn't respond to her right away.

Baby #1: expected June 2014

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Options
    MizooMizoo member
    Expectation:  SO would be the best father ever, and would help out with diapers and would want to soak up every minute he could snuggling and bonding with LO.

Reality:  Ha, yeah.  I can count on one hand how many diapers he has changed in the last 5 weeks.  He gets irritated and acts like it's a chore when I ask him to take over for a few minutes so I can take a shower or get something to eat.  Literally nothing has changed in his life.  His "bonding" time with LO consists of her sleeping on him and him glued to his ipad and Facebook the whole time.  Also had the nerve to complain about me not cooking him dinner more often now that I'm a SAHM.  Not to mention he slept through my entire 3 day recovery in the hospital, which was when I *really* needed help because I was still in so much pain.  Figuring out this mom thing with a newborn completely alone when I couldn't even get out of bed without crying was a hoot.

Expectation:  BF would be tough, but I'd get the hang of it and we'd EBF for the first month at least and then I'd pump a little just to build a stash.

Reality:  I'm EPing now and have been since week 2.  I'm not sure if the level of nipple mutilation I experienced with LO was normal or not but if it is, my hats off to you ladies still EBFing.  That was excruciating.  We are slowly trying to add in more nursing sessions throughout the day but who knows if we'll ever get back to the boob for good.

This mom thing is hard, yo.
  • Options
    This is what I needed this morning! It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one!

Expectation: nursing would be a sweet thing for Lucas and me!
    Reality: I dread having to feed my son. He doesn't latch and I'm using a shield. It breaks my heart when I bleed and I feel like that's what he's eating. Since, I'm using the shield, it comes out slower so I nurse for so long! Especially since he falls asleep and he wants to eat 10 minutes later.

I feel so guilty to complain because I have this beautiful baby boy, but it's so hard. If I had this nursing thing down I would feel so much better. Lucas is only a week and one day old and it's hard to hear people say don't give up...but with the emotions and being confined to being at home because of a c section, it's hard!
    But, my sweet husband and my mom and sister have been a huge help!!!!! And, Lucas is the sweetest baby I have ever seen!
    Sorry, so lengthy! It feels good to say these things to people that actually get it!!!!
  • Options

Expectation: breastfeeding would come naturally and be a beautiful bonding experience.
    Reality: I'm not even 3 weeks in and I'm considering giving up. :( I apparently have flat nipples and LO has a seriously violent latch. I pump every 2-3 hours, but only get a quarter to half an ounce at a time. So LO is mostly formula fed, with a sprinkle of BM in each bottle -_- So frustrating, and definitely feeling the guilt for it.

@amtellez28‌ have you tried a nipple shield? I have flat nipples too and I have been using it for about 3 weeks. Starting to wean off it now bc my nips are finally sticking out on their own.

IF, 5 losses, 1 son, 1 on the way.
    fall in love with someone Pictures Images and Photos  photo turtlejpg

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Expectation: I'd be able to soothe my kid regardless of what she was upset about. Reality: sometimes I don't cut it. DH has to take over to soothe her sometimes. Makes me so nervous about him going back to work next week.
    I feel like this sometime but I attribute it to the fact I smell like milk. Sometimes he is just cranky and needs to sleep but when you are cuddling with an all you can eat buffet it gets conflicting and you just get confused about you want or need
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options

Expectation: breastfeeding would be super hard, but I would persevere and would bf in public and pump at work.

Reality: LO latches great! BUT I find myself pumping more because he downs a bottle quicker and sleeps longer. Also I can't bring myself to bf in public. Talked to a coworker that tried pumping at work and I have decided to start switching to formula. My line of work makes it almost impossible to take breaks at regular intervals. I don't want to go 12 or more hours without pumping. So I'm currently trying to go longer and longer stretches between pumping and nursing sessions. I have so much guilt over this, but don't really feel like I have any other options. LO doesn't seem to care what he is eating it where it comes from, so I guess that is a plus.

Expectation: weight would melt off
    Reality: I've plateaued and need to lose at least 30 lbs, preferably 45lbs.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
    October Siggy challenge, costume fail
  • Options
    Expectation: I wouldn't feel like I have to pee all my life.
    Reality: I still pee every 20 minutes. But it's actually relieving. While pregnant I never felt truly relieved after a pee.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would have a happy smiling baby that sleeps.
    Reality - she's usually fussing and crying when she's awake and only wants to sleep on my chest. She also wakes up for her MOTN feeding and starts screaming and pulling off my breast and is then awake for hours.

Breast feeding would be easy and a great bonding experience.
    Reality - it's gone great (except for the middle of the night feeding).

I thought LO would sleep in the car.
    Reality - she screams bloody murder in her car seat.

LO would love baths
    Reality - LO screams bloody murder

LO would like going for walks in the stroller
    Reality - LO screams bloody murder

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"