November 2014 Moms

Crib mattress help

I'm a FTM and I do not know what type of mattress to buy. Someone at work said to make sure you buy one that doesn't have certain chemicals inside them, I never even thought about that before. I've been doing some research online and still have not found what I'm looking for. Any btdt moms have a brand that they liked?

Re: Crib mattress help

• We have a Naturepedic dual-firmness (infant side and toddler side) mattress, been very happy with it. It's also lightweight so easy to change the sheets.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You want a good firm mattress. We have Sealy mattresses (coiled) for both kids. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFetus Ticker  
    Ashley, DH: Paul
    Angel Baby: March 09
    #1-BFP: 11.17.09~EDD: 7.21.10~Tristan born 7.13.10 via unnecessary c-sec
    #2-BFP: 3.17.14~EDD: 11.28.14~ It's A Girl!~Shooting for a VBAC
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been pleased with my ikea queen mattress. Since they have them for cribs I am considering one.
    BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• ikea crib mattress
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • CatLady22 said:

According to the baby bargains book I got it said foam was better than coils, but I can't remember why. That's all I've got...

I read that its because the foam ones are lighter to lift and move when you change the sheets.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jac409jac409 member
    abbyful said:
    We have a Naturepedic dual-firmness (infant side and toddler side) mattress, been very happy with it. It's also lightweight so easy to change the sheets.

This. We have the same one and really like it.
  • I am a FTM also and I agree. The mattresses are something that I have been dreading looking at. I don't want to spend a ton of money on one but at the same time I want it to be safe and comfortable for baby.
  • We have this one for DD. Will either be reusing it for this LO or purchasing the same depending on if we do a toddler or twin bed for DD. It has an infant side and a toddler side.

https://www.soporasleep.com/perfect.cfm#
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MrsDLMrsDL member
    abbyful said:
    We have a Naturepedic dual-firmness (infant side and toddler side) mattress, been very happy with it. It's also lightweight so easy to change the sheets.

We have the same one (also purchased from amazon).  There are some studies/theories that suggest that perhaps chemicals in mattresses breakdown  and these chemicals "sit" in the crib potentially contributing to SIDS, but of course there is no real known cause of SIDS. That's probably why she was recommending no chemicals - but really she should have said "non-toxic" - there are organic mattresses that contain toxic chemicals.  Here is an article that explains some of this.

https://www.healthychild.com/safe-non-toxic-organic-crib-mattresses/

• I have a foam one. It's super light and firm and holds up well. Plus it isn't cloth covered, so no need for a mattress protector/waterproof pad. If there is fluid or something that gets on it, just wipe it clean.

You don't need something extraordinary, but I wouldn't get the cheapest one if you can afford it as they aren't all that firm. I would say the $80-$130 range is where most people buy and those will suffice.
  • I spent a lot of time looking for one that doesn't have brominated flame retardants but that was affordable. We settled on Lullabye Earth brand. I have a degree in toxicology so I know I can't protect her from everything, but she will spend a lot of time in the crib so a BFR free mattress is worth it to me.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• After a ton of research, I settled on a Naturepedic as well. A mattress is something that your baby will be spending hours sleeping on; there was no way that I would get him something that contained toxic ingredients. It can be really hard to decipher exactly which brands are truly non-toxic; LA baby makes a "natural" mattress but it contains boric acid. Naturepedic was very transparent in materials used so I went with their mattress and my baby loves it. I have been telling people for years to avoid purchasing items with flame retardants; they can be found in so many baby products, from car seats to nursing pillows to high chairs, and their effects are only now coming to light. Flame retardants are the new lead. Avoid anything with that TB-117 tag and when possible call the company to find out what materials are used! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't exactly call protecting your baby from direct contact with flame retardants a "sham". With all of the autism and neurological disorders in this country (we have the highest ASD rates in the world, as well as the highest amount of flame retardant chemicals in our bodies) and with studies confirming that flame retardants DO cause neurological disorders and lower IQ, would it be the worst thing in the world to purchase an item that was not contributing to further contaminate your home? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just wish I had seen this the first time around. We just got the mattress that was part of the crib bundle at Walmart. I have no idea what it is. I never even considered any of this...
    "Live, Laugh, Love"

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Toxic Hot Seat is a great documentary on flame retardants--if you have HBO definitely watch! It is also important to note that you cannot simply rely on doctors to relay information regarding chemicals. There was a study done on ob/gyns, how many actually talk to their patients about exposure to chemicals during pregnancy, and what to avoid--the majority do not because they feel it is "overwhelming" for a pregnant woman. Rely on yourself to do the investigating and form your own conclusions; that's your best bet! Today there are simply too many environmental toxins that are not being properly regulated, and the result is a massive increase in disorders such as autism (which has been directly linked to environmental factors). While other countries' autism rates have remained steady, ours has increased 300% in the past 11 years. To me, that is astounding. I know far too many families affected by this, including my own family member, and this is why I learn all that I can and make my own decisions on what is best for my child! Sorry for the long post I just want to share what has taken me years of investigating.. and hopefully share some ideas to minimize unnecessary exposure to proven neurotoxins. It's impossible to avoid everything, but I found that an organic diet during pregnancy, flame-retardant free mattresses, and avoiding going near lawns sprayed with Round-up and pesticides were my number one priorities. And what a poster above said about the mattress breaking down and becoming dust particles that you breathe in, this is not a theory but is a fact. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd like to see your research on the allegation that these chemicals cause autism. Does your research take into account how much more frequently kids are actually tested kids in the us for autism? The scare tactic stuff doesn't do much for me.

Dx hyperprolactinemia Oct 2009, started bromocryptine Jan 2010

BFP Oct 2010 DS born June 2011

Dx galactorrhea Sept 2013

BFP Sept 2013 MC Oct 2013 D&C Nov 2013, back on bromocryptine Nov 2013

• Just wondering - have you found a mattress/brand you like yet?  

said:
    Toxic Hot Seat is a great documentary on flame retardants--if you have HBO definitely watch! It is also important to note that you cannot simply rely on doctors to relay information regarding chemicals. There was a study done on ob/gyns, how many actually talk to their patients about exposure to chemicals during pregnancy, and what to avoid--the majority do not because they feel it is "overwhelming" for a pregnant woman. Rely on yourself to do the investigating and form your own conclusions; that's your best bet! Today there are simply too many environmental toxins that are not being properly regulated, and the result is a massive increase in disorders such as autism (which has been directly linked to environmental factors). While other countries' autism rates have remained steady, ours has increased 300% in the past 11 years. To me, that is astounding. I know far too many families affected by this, including my own family member, and this is why I learn all that I can and make my own decisions on what is best for my child! Sorry for the long post I just want to share what has taken me years of investigating.. and hopefully share some ideas to minimize unnecessary exposure to proven neurotoxins. It's impossible to avoid everything, but I found that an organic diet during pregnancy, flame-retardant free mattresses, and avoiding going near lawns sprayed with Round-up and pesticides were my number one priorities. And what a poster above said about the mattress breaking down and becoming dust particles that you breathe in, this is not a theory but is a fact. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD 11.16.14 :)
  • @happyfrappy, I wouldn't call facts scare tactics. It is a FACT that certain flame retardants, often found in baby products, cause neurological disorders. It is a FACT that your baby experiences rapid brain growth in the womb and first few years of life. You should also take note that because these  chemicals were proven harmful, the TB 117 law has now been updated to allow manufacturers of baby products to be exempt from adding these harmful chemicals to their products. It is now called the TB 117-2013 I believe. Does this mean that every baby product you buy in stores produced in the beginning of 2014 will not contain harmful flame retardants? Probably not, as it was merely a suggestion to stop adding these chemicals. 

There are plenty of studies confirming neurological disorders being linked to autism. If you watch Toxic Hot Seat, it goes into depth. But if you are not satisfied, 

There are a ton of studies. Anyway, the saying is true "ignorance is bliss". But sometimes, you just need to do a bit of research 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Naturepedic makes a great mattress, and they are completely transparent in the materials used. You can find a quick summary here:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is this really worth arguing over? Each mom is going to do what she thinks is best for her child.
    also Just going to leave this here and then run...
    There is no reasoning with crazy people!
  • This is a great guide from Clean and Healthy New York that compares different brands:

Here's the pdf

And the website
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not going to wade into the sticky swamp of the autism debate since the only fact that we know for sure is that we don't know for sure what causes it.

I do know from spending hours upon hours during my masters degree reading peer reviewed papers on chemicals such as brominated flame retardants (found in most baby stuff), PFOA/PFOS (found in new carpet), and dioxin (found in disposable diapers) that they are bad mother f-ers and something to avoid whenever possible. Hence the cloth diapering, carpet-free house, and obsessive choise of a mattress.

I will also say that you have to do your research FROM RELIABLE SOURCES (aka not Jenny McCarthy) and not completely rely on your doctor. I'm married to a doctor who graduated in the top 10 in his class and attended one of the best residencies in the country for his specialty (basically he's really smart) and he didn't know what brominated flame retardants were. Why? They don't teach that stuff in medical school. There's too much else to cover and chemical exposure is still considered too controvertial to take time to teach. I've met other highly intelligent doctors who didn't know what bioaccumulation was and why it was a concern for pregnant women when prescribing DHA supplements.
    Baby girl N born 10/29/14!

**Follow your heart, but take your brain with you**

• Woke up to pee at 4 a.m. and learned autism is caused by chemicals in crib mattresses.

Seriously? When did Jenny McCarthy join this board?

...and going back to sleep on my non-organic, chemical death mattress now.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • @greenmama2013‌ I would go ahead and reread those links. Many cite the same study from ucdavis... And the scientific American article even warns that whatever connection exists isn't actually a "smoking gun" link to autism. It warns against spouting exactly what you assert. Sorry, but you just aren't correct here.

Dx hyperprolactinemia Oct 2009, started bromocryptine Jan 2010

BFP Oct 2010 DS born June 2011

Dx galactorrhea Sept 2013

BFP Sept 2013 MC Oct 2013 D&C Nov 2013, back on bromocryptine Nov 2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"