Food Allergy

Peanut Allergy & Baseball Games

Has anyone here taken their child with a peanut allergy to a baseball game? I keep reading mixed opinions on the risk level. Just wondering what your thoughts/experiences are? Thanks!
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Peanut Allergy & Baseball Games

• Following!

• Agree on the peanut free school...it makes a world of difference if you can find one.  A lot of nice national chains are nut free...see if you have a Little Pros Academy in your area.
  • Loading the player...
  • Whooops wrong thread! On the baseball game...we haven't as of yet but I would.  We DO take our peanut allergic DD to college football games with peanuts sold.  We've had people eat peanuts beside us and we just move her to the middle of our group (we have six seats in a row) to keep her away from them.  We haven't had any problem with it and our allergist is ok with it...he says the odds of having a reaction just being near peanuts is impossible (smell does not cause a reaction).  There is some small chance that the DUST could be ground enough to be in the air and she could breathe it in but it's VERY unlikely esp. if she's not right there beside it.  She loves going to the games and we're very careful so it hasn't been a problem.  I'm a big believer in allowing her to do everything possible for her to do and not let this rule her life...there's a thin line you have to determine your comfort zone.
  • I hadn't thought about this either

But yes contact and dust allergy is very very uncommon. The prick test is but serum and not actual nuts

I would defiantly do some hand washing but other than that I'm sure it's ok.
  • Whooops wrong thread! On the baseball game...we haven't as of yet but I would.  We DO take our peanut allergic DD to college football games with peanuts sold.  We've had people eat peanuts beside us and we just move her to the middle of our group (we have six seats in a row) to keep her away from them.  We haven't had any problem with it and our allergist is ok with it...he says the odds of having a reaction just being near peanuts is impossible (smell does not cause a reaction).  There is some small chance that the DUST could be ground enough to be in the air and she could breathe it in but it's VERY unlikely esp. if she's not right there beside it.  She loves going to the games and we're very careful so it hasn't been a problem.  I'm a big believer in allowing her to do everything possible for her to do and not let this rule her life...there's a thin line you have to determine your comfort zone.
    This is kind of my attitude about it. Thanks!

• There are some teams that have peanut free games or peanut free areas. I think you can find the info on the FARE website.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Hi! One thing to watch for, depending on allergy severity, is your child being around nuts that are heated (like a caramelized nut sold by vendors). I have tree nut anaphylaxis and cannot be around nuts that are being baked due to the release of oil in the air....I have a severe reaction within 3 minutes (eyes swollen shut and closed throat). I know how frustrating it is because the unknowns and individual variability will make you crazy!
  • @aliandchris - Thanks for your input. The unknowns are definitely frustrating and scary. My son has never consumed peanuts or tree nuts but has tested positive for both. I'm fairly certain he's been around heated nut vendors before and hasn't had issues. I will keep it in mind though! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"