School-Aged Children

I am sure this topic has been beaten to death ipad vs leap pad for 5 yr old

I have held off on any electronics for my twins who will be five this summer. I own an ipad and they get to use it sparingly, they know it is mine, they have to ask, and I limit time on it...they play something on it maybe twice a week. I never went the leap pad route bc I thought it was kind of inflexible w the games and apps plus the games cost so much and I wasn't sure at what age they'd outgrow it...plus they never knew it existed so it was a nonissue...until now... Their summer camp at school is a mix of ages and the teachers allow the older kids to use devices when some of the younger kids who still nap are having their quiet time, so now they are asking for leap pads, etc....I know that iPads are used in elementary schools and so I am not totally opposed to getting them something but it seems an ipad mini (I have to buy two of whatever it is) seems like a better idea, with the exception of the up front cost and the possible breaking factor. Those with kids in early elementary what would you say if deciding between the two??

Re: I am sure this topic has been beaten to death ipad vs leap pad for 5 yr old

• For the reasons you stated above, I would get them iPad or iPad minis.  If the upfront cost is too much, maybe you can look into iPods.  Both of my kids have iPods (with strict rules on using them). 
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • My DD had one of the original LeapPads -- but that was before the age of tablets and phones.  Even then, she only liked it for a limited time: she got it for her 4th birthday and by the 5th birthday she had really outgrown the simplistic games.

Honestly, though, if the kids have access to your iPad, I would seriously consider just riding out their obsession while camp lasts.  They're getting to play with the LeapPad at camp, they can play with your iPad at home.  Will having their very own really be better for them or you?  Even if you are very structured, it's always harder to control screen time when the device is the child's own instead of yours. 

Also, if you get them each a big-ticket electronic device such as an iPad for their 5th birthday, you're going to be under some pressure to go to an even bigger/better present for future birthdays. 
    Take it from a parent of older kids.  It's hard to go back to Lego sets and craft kits once you've given your kids a computer -- even a tablet.  You've got a LOT of birthdays to cover between 5 and the teenage years, kwim?
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • groovygrlgroovygrl member
    edited July 2014
    Thanks all! I better clarify they don't actually get to play w the leap pad they see others with it or with iPads (the ones that bring them). Also their camp classroom will be their k classroom this year so I am trying to get clarity on whether kids will continue to have devices there during th school year (I could see at end of day, it is a k in a daycare so many kids area here until 5 and 6 pm). I think maybe I need to talk to parents in our local school to see if they use iPads in school and will likely want o have them once they switch to public school anyway. I would like to hold off but this is the one thing dd is asking for for her bday (aside from impossible to find Elsa stuff of course) and I am trying to figure out what to do. Maybe an iPod is the way to go but silly if I just end up getting iPads in a year or two anyway...? I should probably add that dd has been nonstop begging for a leap pad for her bday bc that is what her best friend at school has and she gets all upset if I bring up buying something else.. I have tried to explain that I want to get her something she will play with a long time but of course all she knows is that she wants the leap pad her friend has
  • ppantsppants member
    I got innotabs for my twins when they were 5. They used them some (about like yours use the iPad), but they were kind of a waste of $. I have an iPad that they play on occasionally. They are 8 now and DS really wants a DS so we are considering one for Christmas or birthday.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • I wouldn't buy kiddie tablets. They seem like such a waste of money. If you can afford iPads, go that route (maybe check into older models or refurbished)...or go with a cheaper alternative like Amazon's Kindles, Google Nexus, or Samsung Galaxy.

• groovygrl said:
     I would like to hold off but this is the one thing dd is asking for for her bday (aside from impossible to find Elsa stuff of course) and I am trying to figure out what to do. Maybe an iPod is the way to go but silly if I just end up getting iPads in a year or two anyway...? I should probably add that dd has been nonstop begging for a leap pad for her bday bc that is what her best friend at school has and she gets all upset if I bring up buying something else..

Honestly, under these circumstances, I'd buy the LeapPad.  It's what she wants right now, it's cheaper, and it saves the big ticket electronic for a later birthday when she'll appreciate it more.

• -auntie- said:

Am I the only one questioning the programming of a "camp" that allows electronic devices as an activity?

Trust me I had a discussion about it. It is not a true camp, it is what they call the summer programming at our daycare/preschool. Kids are there from 7am to 6pm and they allow the devices during the quiet nap time bc in the summer they have a bigger age range in the class than the school yr bc some kids don't come in summer so there are 4 yr olds who still need a nap some days or quiet time in with 5 and 6 yr olds who don't so parents asked if they can send in a device to quietly occupy kids during the quiet time. My understanding is that during the school year they don't typically allow them bc no one naps anymore

• groovygrl said:

I would like to hold off but this is the one thing dd is asking for for her bday (aside from impossible to find Elsa stuff of course) and I am trying to figure out what to do. Maybe an iPod is the way to go but silly if I just end up getting iPads in a year or two anyway...?

I should probably add that dd has been nonstop begging for a leap pad for her bday bc that is what her best friend at school has and she gets all upset if I bring up buying something else..

Honestly, under these circumstances, I'd buy the LeapPad.  It's what she wants right now, it's cheaper, and it saves the big ticket electronic for a later birthday when she'll appreciate it more.

Thanks... I am starting to feel that way also. I saw the age range on the leap pad is like 4-9???
  • ss+elss+el member
    My 5 1/2 year old has had an Innotab for almost 3 years. He still plays with it from time to time, but honestly I think if I was just now giving him one, I'd go the android tablet route instead.
  • Our 5 year old has an iPad Mini (gift from the grandparents). He only uses it at home and on the road but its been great for car entertainment. (We loaded a few movies on there) He also likes to call his grandparents on FaceTime whenever he wants. We got a Garmin case for it and it keeps it protected from breaking. We also loaded his preschool music cd onto it and he likes to sing and dance to his own playlist. We love it. I can't speak to the other options as we didn't shop for it but he has expressed interest in a Nintindo DS for games. His friend has one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • fredalina said:
    My coworker said his kids' elementary school allows devices every Tuesday. It's supposed to be some technology integration thing but it quickly became a pissing contest for who has the newest and best device. So not a fan.
    Ugh.  My school is a "bring your own device" school.  The whole "pissing contest" angle is really hard on the middle school kids.  An 11th grader doesn't care so much if he's the one with a cheapie Acer laptop while the kid next to him has a MacBook Pro (or whatever.) He'll just push it off on his mean/stingy parents, or say that Mac products are overpriced.   But that kind of stuff is the meat and potatoes of social life to a 7th grader.  It's hard.  Plus, as a teacher, I'm not at ALL convinced that more tech = better educational outcomes.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that it's the other way around.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"