October 2014 Moms

Nursery furniture: costs?

I ask this to moms purchasing nursery furniture, as I know many others have it handed down, previously purchased, etc.

I understand everyone has different budgets and needs and am just curious as to what everyone has been paying for sets. 

I fell in love with two sets from buy buy baby today, the Brunswisk and the Keyport, in white, but am thinking of the Stratford by Baby Appleseed for a more "affordable" option, even though I am having a hard time swallowing a cost of $1200 after multiple 20% off coupons.  https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/static/FurniturePage?icid=nurserydecor_flyoutpromospot1-nurserydecor

I'd like a convertible crib, dresser, and dresser with hutch.  The furniture seemed like good quality in person, and I don't have a lot of options in the city that aren't expensive furniture stores, or places like Land of Nod and PB Kids.  Is this price average or competitive, or does it seem absurd to pay this much?  My parents may chip in $400-500, as well as my in-laws who may pitch in a bit, but nothing is a guarantee.  Just feeling frustrated, and with an 8-12 week waiting period, I'd like to purchase this stuff soon. 

Thanks for any advice. 

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

Re: Nursery furniture: costs?

• We went to ikea too. Our crib turns into a toddler bed later and it was only like $150. We also bought a smallish wardrobe from there when it was on sale for about $70 or 80. It was perfect and since we've moved, SO and I have a bigger closet so DD is using my old dresser and the wardrobe is now out in the living room for toys and blankets.

For DS we plan on getting him his own dresser and will probably go to ikea again. He's going to sleep in a bassinet until DD is moved into her 'big girl bed' (my old bed).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am using a dresser I've had for ages and I spent $300 on each crib (having twins). I'm putting a couch in the room, but I already owned the couch. While $700ish, for two cribs, felt like a lot, I justify it with the fact that we are using furniture we already had for the rest of the room. I got my cribs on amazon and shipping only took a week, lots of good deals there.
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought the Brunswick crib from buy buy baby with the convertible rails. We did not get the dresser but since it's white was going to try to find something more affordable.
  • We'll be getting everything new. This is our first baby and friends are all either pregnant, still have infants, or don't have children yet.

I'm budgeting for $1700 on all furniture (not including accent decor and crib set). That covers the crib, a small bassinet, dresser, bookcase/night stand, glider, and ottoman.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
    Proud First-Time Mommy From Memphis, TN!
    *My Favorite Thing To Do: Laugh Until I Cry*
    I can't wait to meet my Kenyan-Bajan-American sweet pea.
  • MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I guess it depends on how long you expect it to last and what quality of furniture you'd buy for other rooms. I would consider $1,200 for three pieces of furniture to be realtively inexpensive, especially if you plan on keeping them forever (I assume that's the point if you're getting a crib that converts to a full bed). That could easily be the cost of one simple piece of solid wood furniture if you had it semi-custom made in the US.

We just spent $3,400 on four large custom Amish bookcases, and we thought that was a great price for hand-made hardwood. We intend to keep those forever, and they had to be of good enough quality to hold lots of heavy books. But for the nursery, we're looking at getting a $130 mini-crib (it will only be in use a couple of years) and a $400-$800 trundle bed (haven't decided on the specific one yet) to use for guests now and for the kid later, until he's old enough to think he needs a full-size bed.

We have other old furniture (a wardrobe and a tv stand that's perfect for a changing table) that will be sufficient to use in the nursery for now, and it won't be heartbreaking if it gets gnawed or vomited on.
  • I have a big gap between my dd and ds1 so I got everything new for him and the crib will be passed down to ds2. Everyone's budgets and style are different so it's hard to say how much is too much. I just wanted to give you a few things to think about when you're making your decision that I didn't really think of until recently.
    1. Are you going to use the crib for future children? If so, how soon? My ds only slept in his crib for about 6 months. We evicted him from our room finally when he was a little over one and within 2 weeks he learned how to climb out of his crib so we needed a bed for safety reasons. With another on the way it makes more sense to get a toddler bed instead of converting the existing crib and buying a new crib for ds2.

2. If you do plan to convert the crib, make sure you get the conversion kit now. They no longer make the crib we have and so we can't get the conversion kit even if we wanted to.

3. I have a friend who bought $100 cribs from target for her twins and they lasted just as long as my more expensive crib.
  • edited June 2014
    We're going with furniture I saw at both Target and Babies R Us. 

$230 - Stork Craft 4 in 1 crib to toddler bed
    $130 - Sealy 2 stage crib/toddler mattress
    $250 - Stork Craft hamper/dresser combo (will use this as our changing table too)
    $230 - Stork Craft Glider/Ottoman
    $840   Total

The room has a Hemnes IKEA day bed in there that I will keep in case I decide to sleep in the room on nights when DH has to work. I plan to remove this and keep in the office for a guest bed. 

As for getting the nursery taken care of, we are not worried about ordering the furniture until after the baby is born. We plan to have a pack n play in the bedroom for the first 1-2 months. So we have some time to get the furniture in order. As for $1200, that is not unheard of. I decided to go with cheaper furniture that had multiple uses. I wanted the items to last a long time and I wanted to register for items I would be able to afford if I were to buy it all myself. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• We ordered the Stratford crib from BBB. We looked at everything there (without thinking of budget) and actually picked that style out of all the options. We just liked the look of it best. We were excited to find out that it was an affordable option! We ordered it in Pure White, which is not an option shown (I think it's just Colonial White) but is available. It won't start shipping until 7/25 and it takes 10 weeks to get in, putting it's arrival at the middle of September. A little nervous about the tight timeline so *fingers crossed* it will arrive on time! 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • As with PP I went to Ikea.  We got a crib and then a low adult dresser that we will use as a changing table.  Plus then he actually has a dresser when he gets older.  The crib is particle board which I don't love, but it was 100 bucks.  The dresser however is wood and looks actually decent.  I'm not a fan of spending a ton on furniture unless you never plan on moving.  Moving jacks up furniture - like it or not - and so I find that the money is never worth it in the long run.

GL!

Native NYC-ers living in Switzerland - First time parents - 36 + 37

TTC: 8 Months / BFP: 2/8/2014 / EDD: 10/20/2014  

BabyFruit Ticker

• JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited June 2014
    We went to a baby furniture store and bought a crib, long low dresser, and tall dresser, toddler rail for when we convert it, and adult rails for when it converts to an adult crib. After tax and delivery we spent about $1500. Our upholstered rocker was around $500 and we purchased it from a regular furniture store. This furniture was purchased to grow with the baby. We spent about the same for DD but we only got one dresser. This LO's furniture was a discontinued package set.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• We bought a set from JC Penney after a lot of research. I am one of those people who CANNOT deal with cheap furniture, even though I
    we don't make a whole lot of money. Everything we buy, we buy it to last. Thankfully, we've been blessed with some extra cash lately and we splurged on a set that was $1,500 after taxes and delivery. The set does not look baby-ish at all and we fully expect to use it for years and years. I wanted something that would last and have resell value, should we choose to sell it.

We had looked at BRU, BBB, Target, etc., and I was so unhappy with the quality. I felt like I could touch the furniture and it would scratch. The higher-priced options were nicer but more expensive than what we ultimately spent, so I am happy with what we ended up with.
  • I think a question of "is this too expensive?" is just dependent on you and your DHs financial situation.

I will say that if you are planning to use the furniture for a long period of time, check out how it wears. We bought a light line colored set from Buy Buy Baby, because all of the other sets in an espresso or black you could see deep scratches that really stood out once the finish was scratched away. I realized that after a few years those sets may not hold up as well, so we went with a more natural color that would not show scratches as much, since we are hoping to use our furniture for many years to come.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just make sure it's real wood... no partial board and super sturdy so it lasts and I can totally justify that price. Heck, I used my baby dresser my entire life and my parents still have it. Luckily, my Dad is a wood worker so he made all of our nursery furniture.
  • We are spending about $1200 on a convertible crib and a dresser.  So $400 a piece for your set doesn't seem so bad.  It is a hard pill to swallow since I think back to all my hand-me-down furniture and how I didn't have a matching set until I was 25.  :)  
    Baby J #2 due 11.12.16
    Sydney Elizabeth born 9.24.14

• I guess too expensive is really personal, because I wouldn't have thought twice about that. I couldn't handle the quality at ikea, BBB, etc. I want my nursery furniture to be sturdy and last through multiple kids.

I spent like $1800 on the crib, dresser and mattress. And another $800 on a glider with ottoman. After a lot of research, I found that's what I needed to spend to get the quality I expect.

But you have to go with what fits your budget and your taste.
  • Thank you everyone for the great tips and advice, a lot to think about.  And I do realize a lot is based on our financial situation and what we are comfortable with.  With choosing white furniture, oh goodness, I can see a marker being taken to it in the nearer future!  My childhood furniture was off-white and it's got candle wax stains, stickers and nail polish marks all over it ;-)

I will shop around at places mentioned and see what's out there, and if I at least love the crib, I will get that now with the rails to convert, and shop around for cheaper dresser options. 

Thanks everyone!!

We ordered the Stratford crib from BBB. We looked at everything there (without thinking of budget) and actually picked that style out of all the options. We just liked the look of it best. We were excited to find out that it was an affordable option! We ordered it in Pure White, which is not an option shown (I think it's just Colonial White) but is available. It won't start shipping until 7/25 and it takes 10 weeks to get in, putting it's arrival at the middle of September. A little nervous about the tight timeline so *fingers crossed* it will arrive on time! 
    Nice, I like that they have a pure white option!  I liked the colonial wood sample, but I think I'd prefer pure white.  How much did you pay for delivery?  Thanks for the 10-week update, gets a little scary when we are so close to having our LOs!!  :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

• We were going to paint DH's old dresser and my brother was going to paint my nephew's old convertible crib for me but my mom and dad ended up buying us all new stuff. It wasn't needed but very much appreciated. We found a 3 piece set for $800.00 on sale online with JcPenney. It's white and it all solid wood! Also convertible. So we really lucked out there. 
  • edited June 2014
    I think we paid about $3,250 for the crib, conversion kit, 6 drawer dresser and a 5 drawer tall dresser/hutch type thing.  The glider will be another grand.
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Our plan was the Jenny Lind crib that Target and a lot of other places sell. It's actually the same crib my mom used with my brother and I 30 years ago. I was just going to get the IKEA Hemmed dresser to go with it and then get a rocking chair somewhere.

However, my grandmother went shopping with us and decided on some more pricey furniture and wanted that to be her gift to us and to her namesake. Everything (dresser, hutch for dresser, crib, nightstand, glider and ottoman) was a little over $2,000 at a baby boutique.

I felt like we got a lot for that though and I'm really thankful for her wanting to do that because there is no way my husband and I would've spent that much. The quality is great and will hold up nicely for another LO.

• I think based on what you appear to be looking for, a new, quality furniture set that you can order all at once, that is a competitive price. I don't think you will find a better price. You certainly can find cheaper quality furniture but it probably won't be in a set, you'll have to assemble it yourselves, and you'll have to hunt. 
  • We bought a less expensive set with a dresser/changing table combo and a crib from BRU for DD1.  It's still holding up 3.5 years later.  For DD2, we bought a crib from Amazon for about $200 and paired it with a couple of hand me down items from my in-laws.  For #3, we are reusing DD1's set (she has moved to a twin bed-another set we were fortunate to get as a hand-me-down, this time from my parents).

All that to say, the set you've picked is very nice and if it's worth $1,200 to you and you have the space, go for it!  We just have always lived in houses with small bedrooms and have chosen to spend our baby budgets in other areas.

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • We did a crib that same with rails and it was $1200 and the dresser/changer was about the same. They will work until this baby leaves for college so I don't feel too bad about he investment. 

• DS's crib was a hand-me down from my sister (totally clean, and we bought a new mattress).  We also moved right before DS was born, and our new place has his and her walk-in closets, so DS got our chest of drawers (which we used as his changing station) and dresser.  With DS still in the crib, and showing now sign of trying to breakout, we got a new crib for his "big boy" room that we will convert to a toddler bed when he starts trying to climb out.  We're keeping the nursery the same, but getting DS new stuff for his new room.  

Honestly, we're going the IKEA route for his dresser and chest of drawers.  DH and I both remember being really hard on our bedroom furniture growing up with siblings, so I don't expect it to last regardless of how nice it is.  What if one of my kids is really artistic and wants to paint, distress, or mosaic a piece of furniture?  I'd like to allow them that creativity within reason.  Also, DS's new room has a huge walk-in closet as well, so I don't envision him needing much in the way of drawer space.  I got DS's new crib from a friend (again totally clean, and we bought a new mattress), so we're coming out at about $400, but that's also because I envision the furniture lasting until they move out, and at that point I can convert the rooms to my second guest room and reading room with high end custom stuff.
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • Another IKEA person here.  DH's parents were actually annoyed at the low price and kept trying to talk us into picking a different crib set (as they were wanting to purchase the nursery furniture and felt that we were being cheap - who complains when people are saving money?).  We mainly went with IKEA as we don't want a convertible crib and plan on buying some nice, solid wood furniture when she is old enough to be trusted to not destroy/deface it.  

Married 10/06

Baby Girl "C" arrived on 10/07/14 (39 weeks, 6 days)

• Hubby and I bought expensive furniture because we plan on the baby having this set for a long time - til she moves out or whatever - she can even take it with her. My parents did the same for me - I had my furniture til after college - I even took it with me to my first apartment. My parents still have it in my room at their house. We did the same for LO #1 - spent the same amount of money and got the same brand and everything. Hubby also was adamant about buying Made in America. 

We bought the conversion crib, double rails and toddler conversion kit for the future, an organic mattress, a 5 drawer tall dresser and a small 3 drawer changing dresser. We spent about $2,450 for all the pieces. We bought Baby's Dream furniture and a Naturepedic Mattress. 

• We spend a lot on DS1's furniture. (Probably 2K with crib, dresser/hutch, and amazing rocker and ottoman).  By the time DS was 9 months old, the crib rails were chewed and the dresser had chipped.  This was from a brand that got A+ ratings from baby bargains.  I wish I would have not bought the conversion kit, because it'll probably never get used.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • wildflower75wildflower75 member
    edited June 2014
    For DD We have the Stratford by Baby Appleseed crib from BBB and dressers from IKEA.
    The crib is so nice and sturdy!
    The dressers we will have to replace and get bigger furniture for baby #2! Plus they started to fall apart and we needed the dressers tightened already (only a year old).

I have no idea what we are getting next but we need a crib, tall dresser and large armoire.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited June 2014

Hubby and I bought expensive furniture because we plan on the baby having this set for a long time - til she moves out or whatever - she can even take it with her. My parents did the same for me - I had my furniture til after college - I even took it with me to my first apartment. My parents still have it in my room at their house. We did the same for LO #1 - spent the same amount of money and got the same brand and everything. Hubby also was adamant about buying Made in America. 

We bought the conversion crib, double rails and toddler conversion kit for the future, an organic mattress, a 5 drawer tall dresser and a small 3 drawer changing dresser. We spent about $2,450 for all the pieces. We bought Baby's Dream furniture and a Naturepedic Mattress. 
    Our furniture is also Baby's Dream. Definitely get crib rail protectors. It does ding pretty easily especially the dark furniture. My understanding is that making things greener also makes the finish easier to scratch.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• JJsMumJJsMum member
    How much is too much is really personal unfortunately.  Personally, I would never spend 1200$ on baby furniture.  I spent about 200$ each on the cribs (Amazon) for both boys (DS#1 wouldn't give up his crib in time for #2 to use it, so we just bought another one).  130$ each on mattress, and about another 200$ on a Hemnes (sp?) 8 drawer dresser (doubles as a change table) from Ikea for each boy.  Now DS#2 will be moving in to DS#1's room and his furniture passed on to DS#3.  We did splurge on the bunk bed for the boys.  With mattresses, we spent about 1200$ on the bed.  Mattresses were about 500$ though.  We will keep the existing dresser and the boys will each get a side for their clothes.  

To be honest, I'm really glad we didn't spend much on the furniture.  DS#1 chewed his crib rails to pieces, even with guards on!  He chewed the slats since those weren't covered.  We have the conversion kit for his bed, but because of the damage to the crib, I doubt we will ever use it.  The dressers are beat up as well.  We ended up having to put drawer latches on the drawers when DS#1 went into the toddler bed.  Those chewed up the finish big time!  Plus it's all banged up from having toys bashed on it, corners chipped from moving, and various stains from liquids left too long (don't ask and I won't tell).  

I figure that when our kids are old enough to know how to take care of their stuff, and have personal taste about what they like, we'll invest in nicer furniture that they can choose and take with them when they move out.
    Jonathan Jeremy~12/02/2010,  BFP#2~M/C @ 11wks 4 days,  BFP #3~CP @ 4 wks 3 days,  
    Simon Randall~01/29/2013, Grayson Paul~10/03/2014
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Oct'14 January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails 

• I found a 4 in 1 convertible crib we like on Wayfair for $160 and free shipping. No need to purchase the converter kit. This was after finding one on PB kids on sale for $400 which isn't bad. The converter kit was separate. So, we are going with the cheaper option. I have a dresser we will be using and I will put the changing table on top of it.
    This leaves room for a chair, although we have a recliner we could use in there, a big rug, lighting options and decorations. It's a beach nautical theme which hasn't been started yet...we may be tackling a huge renovation project which has us delayed.
    Purchase what feels right to you. We will be making an Ikea trip as well. Good luck!
  • Have you considered getting a chair or rocker? 

We got our crib from Walmart ($300), dresser from IKEA ($240) and splurged on the rocker/glider/recliner ($1000)! I just figured the chair is the one thing we would keep forever and get LOTS of use. Nursing and reading and really just anytime we are in the nursery.
  • We didn't buy very expensive pieces at all. Our nursery has built-ins so we didn't need a dresser. We went with an inexpensive crib, maybe $200 and a changing table that was less than $100. The room is tiny so when LO is old enough for a big bed, we'll be getting something with built-in storage so a convertible crib wasn't going to work for us. Our rocker is on loan from my parents but I'm getting a glider because I needed something more comfortable.

If you can't pay cash for it, it's too much for you, that's my basic motto.

• OK, so I took advice from everyone and talked to DH about it and what we thought about furniture and our needs right now..  We decided since we will only be in our condo another 2-5 years, we didn't want to make a huge purchase now and have it damaged in a large move, etc etc.  Even though I loved the BBB options, I just purchased the entire Eddie Bauer Langley line in white from Target.  It was all on sale, and I have a Target card, so free shipping and another 5% off, and it's delivered within days.  We just have to put it together.  If it comes and I open the boxes and realize I hate it, I can easily return.  I bought a crib, dresser, bookshelf, changing table (which I didn't want initially, but I originally planned on a second dresser with hutch), and glider, all matching for $900.  I think price wise it is super affordable for us, and I spent a lot of time reading the reviews, and feel it will serve it's purpose for at least 2 babies, and we can buy nice, quality, long lasting furniture once she is older.   

Now let's just hope I like it when it comes...buying online is always risky ;-)

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

• @SweetMandyB12‌ Our crib is from that line. We actually had a more expensive crib picked out, but I saw the Langley in my local target and the dark wood was just beautiful. It's not an heirloom piece (and to be fair, I haven't picked it up yet) but I think you'll be happy. Plus, it's $75 off right now so it was only $205. Win win ;)

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"