January 2015 Moms
Options

Baby name issues

My  husband and I have been trying to have a baby for over 6 years.  Now I am 10 weeks pregnant.  We picked out our baby names years ago and I am in love with them.  If it's a boy we are naming him after my dad and if it's a girl, we were going to name her after my grandmother.  We picked out this name years ago, than Disney had to come out with that damn Frozen movie.  Yep, our baby girl name is Elsa.  I am afraid that if I name the girl Elsa, everyone will think we named her after the movie.  Thoughts?

Re: Baby name issues

• Options
    Haha if DS was a boy, he'd have been Elsa too. Now with this one the movie put a damper on it for me. And we agreed on a different name we also love. But it is a beautiful name and if it has a family connection that is way more important. Use it. It's not like it's something way out there like Ariel that is only used for the little mermaid.

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • Options
    I'm sure it would be annoying having everyone ask you if she was named because of the movie, but if you guys really love it you should use it anyway. Who cares what other people think?
    ******************************************** siggy warning ******************************************

image image

Married July 2011 * TTC #1 since 8/12 * Me: 29 DH: 29
    21 Cycles TI: BFNs
    DX: Stage 2 Endo, uterine polyps and paratubal cysts removed
    2/14: IVF #1 Lupron Protocol = 12R/10M/9F, no frosties; transferred one 3BB blast = BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Antagonist Protocol = 18R/16M/15F/6 frosties; transferred one 4BB blast = BFP!!
    Beta #1 (5/12) = 232 Beta #2 (5/16) = 886 Beta #3 (5/20) = 3168
    EDD 1/18/15 It's a BOY 

~~~~~~ All Are Welcome ~~~~~~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Admittedly, I do think of Frozen.
    That said, it's still a beautiful name and wouldn't deter me from using if I loved it :)
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    Keep it!!!! You and dh love it and it has a special meaning to you. Sure, some people might ask if you got it from frozen but so what? If you have a girl, when you and your family think of "Elsa" it will be of her, not frozen :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    BFP 1: 9/19/11 , DS born 5/28/12 @ 41 weeks

BFP 2: 11/8/13, NMC 11/27/13 @ 8w4d, we love you sweet baby!
    BFP 3: 5/16/14 Stick, sweet little one!
  • Options
    I think you should go with it. There are much worse associations IMO. Unless you were big disney fans I wouldn't think that you named her after the character, but I might think that the movie is the reason you became familiar with the name.

Dec '12 & Jan '15
    I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love.
  • Options
    I think it is a pretty name. People will forget the Frozen reference in a couple of years, so I wouldn't worry too much.

• Options
    It most likely will be super common once she hits school. You have to think of how many other kids will have the same name. Same thing happened with the Twilight names; there are tons of Jacobs and Edwards entering school districts shortly. If you want her to stand out as unique but still keep with the family name, maybe use it as a middle name. Just thinking about the flipside.
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    motherboy said:
    It's not like it's something way out there like Ariel that is only used for the little mermaid.
    Um… Ariel is a name, though.
  • Options
    nah82nah82 member
    Cbeanz said:
    motherboy said:
    It's not like it's something way out there like Ariel that is only used for the little mermaid.
    Yep, my hairstylist's name is Arielle.  And she was born before the movie.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I haven't seen frozen. I know shocking!!! My grandmothers name is Elsa that's what I think of. Sorry Disney took your name.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    namcgee said:

Cbeanz said:

motherboy said:

Yep, my hairstylist's name is Arielle.  And she was born before the movie.

Ok, fair enough. I guess what I was getting at is that I think the little mermaid ' s Ariel is too strong a cultural connection. I don't think the same is true for elsa.

BabyFruit Ticker

<p align="center"
  • Options
    If it makes you feel better, I've never seen the movie so I would have never known. Beautiful name!
  • Options
    CbeanzCbeanz member
    I know lots of Ariel's and Jasmine's. Now if your name was Snow White, I would side eye.
    Isn't Snow a name?  I'm thinking of that Canadian rapper… 
  • Options
    This makes me laugh. We were team green for our first and also now for our second. When I was pg with my son, I got a nursing cover and the pattern was called "Elsa". I fell in love with it and I always knew this would be my girls name. Two years later, Frozen came out. I think you should stick with the name because it will be in memory of your grandmother. I however will not stick with it, because I have no emotional attatchment with the name.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you love the name that's all that matters, ultimately. I think that name will be increasingly popular this year and for the next few years so keep in mind that it could very well become one of the Popular Names in her peer group. If that's cool with you, go for it.
  • Options
    use it anyway.  honestly, it would be very tactless for someone to ask if you pulled it from a movie, and if they did, just give them a withering look and tell them no, she's named after her great-grandmother who was very dear to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    photo gum-chewers.gif
    BFP#1 EDD 04.20.2010, SUNSHINE baby boy born 03.31.2010
    BFP#2 EDD 12.07.2014, natural mc 04.09.2014 at 5w3d
    BFP#3 EDD 01.14.15, RAINBOW baby girl born 01.16.2015

photo quad_zps6309d559.jpg  image   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    jan'15 january siggy challenge: baby fails
  • Options
    https://popwatch.ew.com/2014/06/17/frozen-elsa-baby-name/

Elsa baby boom.

I always loved the name Baron (or Barron) and then Donald trump named his littlest boy that so I felt I could no longer use it. I had a girl anyway, so that actually solved the dilemma for me.
  • Options
    Definitely use it anyway. If people mention Frozen, just laugh it off and say, "Actually she is named for my grandmother!"  My husband's niece named her daughter Adelle after a grandmother, and she gets asked all the time if she named the baby after the singer. She just tells them it's a family name, and that's the end of that. :)
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    Well hey, at least Elsa in frozen is of the thought that you can't marry someone you just met.

Disney aside, its a beautiful name. And it has meaning to you and your family.
  • Options
    Well we were thinking of the name Anna before Frozen came out.  It isn't going to stop us from using the name.  We like it and it is a family name.

However, I do want to warn you that the name Elsa is becoming more popular and I also don't see the name or the popularity of the movie waning.   Little girls now will be growing up singing Let it Go just like little girls a few generations ago were singing Under the Sea.  It truly is a blockbuster and will probably go down as a Disney classic.  

That being said, she might be telling people " No I am named after my great grandmother " all of her life just like my possible Anna might be telling people " No, my parents just liked the name Anna " also.  
  • Options
    Give her the family name. It's beautiful and has meaning...just don't decorate her nursery with a Frozen theme.

Personally, popular names don't bother me so even if the name is enjoying a surge in popularity I wouldn't be too concerned.
  • Options
    It's so cute. If frozen has ruined it, we have a friend who's daughters name is Elsie and it's adorable.
  • Options
    MaebbMaebb member
    I agree to use it.

Plus, you never know - you could come up with some beautiful, unique name, and then Disney could feature it in a movie in two years, and you'd be screwed. My cousin has a daughter named Elsa, and it was not a popular name when they chose it.
  • Options
    Meh. Use it if you love it! Screw disney ;)
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Thanks everyone. Thankfully, I am not pregs with twins, because AnnaSophia was our secondary name, so I literally would have had Anna and Elsa, planned years ago.  Stupid Disney.

• Options
    My mom actually named my sister after a character in a children's movie (Kira- The Dark Crystal.) It's a fun story and we enjoy watching the movie as a family.

To be honest, the people who are saying that two years from now no one will associate Elsa with Frozen are totally wrong. That name will be associated with Frozen for DECADES. It's the highest grossing Disney movie of all time. I haven't even SEEN it, and I would associate the name Elsa with the movie.

Also, Elsa makes me think of cows (I think it was the name of the Borden milk mascot) so it's really NMS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Just saw this right after I posted about the same name! DH is obsessed with Elsa. I think it's a lovely name.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"