Pre-School and Daycare

3.3 year old and no naps ?

Ever since we took away the pacifier about a month ago my ds has not napped in his room. He's fallen asleep 3 different times in car and been transferred.. But will yell scream sing when I put him down fir naps
I'm wondering what time your young 3 year old goes to bed and wakes up. He is sooo energetic and doesn't show major signs of tiredness.. Except yawning in car.
He's going to bed at 8 ish and up at 6:30 or 7. Is that enough sleep for his age? Does your child nap? What time do they go to bed and wake up? Tia!

Re: 3.3 year old and no naps ?

• My DS has always been a great napper...  until just recently.  I still make him do a quiet time (so does DD) but he only naps about once every two weeks or so.  On the days that he doesn't nap he goes to bed at 7:30 and wakes up about 7:30.  DD gave up napping the months she turned 2 so I should consider myself lucky with DS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When DS doesn't nap he goes to bed at 7:00/7:30 and is up at 7:00 the next day.  When he does nap, he naps from 1-3, goes to bed at 8:30/9:00, but doesn't fall asleep until 10:00 or so and still gets up at 7:00 the next morning.   
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • Loading the player...
  • MeetherMeether member
    edited June 2014
    I'd give him the paci for naps. We were in the same dilemma at 3 and our pedi said that sleep was more important than taking away the paci. She eventually gave the paci up in her own and continued to nap well.... So it ended well for us. The paci was her cue to nap, now she just tells us she wants to nap. She goes to preschool and all kids under 5 are required to nap. She goes to sleep at 6:30pm and gets up at around 7am. Her nap time is usually from 12pm to 2pm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited June 2014
    I would cut naps and move up bed time, 7 on no nap days since you say that he is not showing much tiredness at the end of day. DD quit napping regularly at 3 and that was what we did. It worked well for us, so that is what I would try.

I would not give back the paci just to get him to nap! You got rid of it. Hold your ground or it will be worse getting rid of it next time! As long as you move up bedtime if he doesn't nap the amount of sleep will be the same.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LauraChicagoLauraChicago member
    edited June 2014
    DD gave up naps right before 2 1/2. Everyone told me she must nap but nap time was miserable for all of us and then on the days she napped bedtime was impossible. I gave up on naps and everything got so much better. We didn't have to fight for two hours to make a nap happen and then by the time bedtime rolled around she was actually tired so she hopped right in bed and we heard from her 12 hours latter. So no naps was the right choice for us for sure. Her bedtime sleep extended at least two hours within a week of no naps so it made up for the missed nap sleep.
  • My babies will be 3 in a month. They haven't napped for a few months now. They go to bed at 7:30, asleep right away, wake around 7:30-8 in the morning. One of them obviously still needs a nap, she passes out on the couch for nearly an hour most days around 3pm. But she refuses to nap in her room without her sister. And her sister doesn't want/need to nap, period.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • yeah.yeah. member
    edited July 2014
    My youngest dropped her nap a little before she turned 3 when I took her paci. She went about 3 months without a nap and not much sleep - bed at 7:30, asleep around 9 and up by 7.

Then, after about 3 months, she started napping at daycare again and going down easier. She still doesn't nap at home but she goes to bed at 8 and gets up around 8. She can easily go until 9-10 if we need her to, and she then sleeps until 9-9:30.

My 5.5 year old still naps sometimes :/
  • My son turned 3 in May. He naps for about 2 hours a day (longer sometimes on weekends). He goes to bed about 9:00 but fights sleep for a while before finally giving up. He gets up about 7:00.

BTW, I don't know how anyone is able to get a child to bed at 7:00. We don't even get home until 6:00 and are usually eating dinner at 7:00. I would never see my son on this schedule. Sometimes I feel like I should put him to bed earlier, but I guess this later schedule is our routine now.
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    My boys stopped napping at 2.9 and 2.5 yrs old. My youngest it was between napping or not going to bed at night. I was on my own while my husband traveled so for our sanity we picked bed time to be most important!

They use to go to bed by 7:30 and wake around 7:30. Now it all depends but they are 8, 6, and 4.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • So sorry, how frustrated you must be! :(

My son sleeps 11hours at night so, about 9pm to 8am. He naps 1-3pm-ish, about 2 total hours every day and thankfully, without any trouble.

Maybe the change is just hard on him? Could be a growth/developmental spurt! I'm a fan of "stick with it and remain consistent" until they have ditched naps for at least a week straight before relenting to them giving up naps altogether. Good luck!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• We stopped giving DS son naps right around his 3rd birthday. He was still taking them for my mom when he was with her while I was at work. But I am home this summer since DS #2 was just born. I have decided to stop naps all together. DS #1 usually goes down for bed between 8:30-9:30 and wakes up around 7:00.

• DS1 is 3.5. He still takes naps almost every day. We have "room time" on the weekend. It gives everyone time to relax. I tell him he doesn't have to sleep which helps. He'll play or read a book for a little bit. Then he usually sleeps. It's probably about 2 . He still sleeps for 10 hrs at night.
  • My ds stopped napping about age 3.  Once in awhile he takes one but usually not.  He is in bed by 8:00 PM and usually wakes up anywhere from 6:30-7:30 AM.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son is 2y9m and naps about 2-3 days per week. My DD (5.5) would still happily nap 2 hours per day if not for all day kindergarten! On the weekends, we try to get them both down for a rest. DD always sleeps, DS is hit or miss.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Some kids drop the nap early. A 3 year old getting 11 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period is just fine a perfectly fine amount. Definitely do not give back the paci! That was a terrible suggestion. You took the time to break the habit... stick with it. Best of luck. It was a sad sad day when my son stopped napping. I'm dreading when my daughter does. :(

• Mine is 3.5 years old and naps are hit or miss. It really depends on the day. She usually goes to be around 9am, is up at 7:15am (three days a week, the other 4 days she wakes around 8/9am). If she takes a nap, it is anywhere from 3-4 hours long, and that usually happens 4-5 times a week. 

It could be that your kiddo is dropping naps, or it could be because now he no longer has the binky and has to learn how to self-sooth and put himself to sleep without it. We got rid of the binky at 18 months, but there were a few rough weeks in there after we chucked the binky. We just stuck with the same routine and she eventually went back to taking naps. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Bedtime for DD is 7:45 or 8 and she sleeps until 6:30 or 7. Sometimes she falls asleep in the car (no more than 20-30 minutes) and bedtime is still okay. Anything over the 30 minutes and bedtime is pretty much not happening for another hour. She hasn't had a scheduled naptime since around her 3rd birthday.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Holy moly, I couldn't imagine my 3 year old napping.  He hasn't napped in a long time.  He gets about 12 or 13 hours a of sleep a night, so I think he's good. 

BabyFruit Ticker