Special Needs

I need to vent!

Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
edited June 2014 in Special Needs
My cat.

I adopted her when she was maybe a month old, she was a wild kitten I found in town wandering all by herself.
She has been with our family since then, and she is now 8yo(approx.).  We have done everything in our power to keep 
her environment as comfortable and stress free as possible.

She has one problem.

She pee's outside of her litter box.

She is very fickle about the care of her litter.  If I don't clean it every 1-2 days max, or it gets low (1" or so) she will stop 
using it altogether.  She's a princess.

She has pee'd on strollers, our couch, clothing...anything pretty much.  Last night it got worse...

She pee'd inside my diaper bag, which has everything from my mp3 player (an anniversary gift from DH), my wallet with
various cards, gift cards and the like, my $40.00 headphones, the kids toys, diapers, wipe case, and car key with key fob...just everything.

I'm furious!  But what the heck do I do?

I have worked in various adoption agencies for animals.  I know the other side to giving a pet up for adoption, and that is not an 
option!  However, even if it was an option, I know with her "behavioral issues" she won't last long in a home...which will lead 
to returning her or euthinization (spelled wrong, I know).

I'm just tired.  With all of the stress I have, its like exponentially worse this morning due to this now.  I feel like Im one step away
from having a nervous breakdown...and I have no sign of help right now.

On a brighter note, DS is swimming wonderfully in the pool.  He kicked off today with a fight to go in, but he is happily swimming now.

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: I need to vent!

• Is the cat "fixed?"

Usually, if the cat is fixed they don't have as many accidents. I have had at most 5 cats at one time growing up.

Is the cat a house cat or does it have moments where they can go inside and outside? If it is the latter, you will not have to clean the litter box as much because the cat will go outside.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Could you add a second litter box?  They also make a cat litter called cat attract that is supposed to attract the cats to use the box.  I had two friends who tried it, one said it worked the other said it didn't.  Worth a try anyway.  But if she is only having accidents when the litter box is dirty or not full enough I would just make more of an effort to clean it, and adding a second box will enable you to buy a little more time between cleanings.
  • Loading the player...
  • marchbaby said:
    Could you add a second litter box?  They also make a cat litter called cat attract that is supposed to attract the cats to use the box.  I had two friends who tried it, one said it worked the other said it didn't.  Worth a try anyway.  But if she is only having accidents when the litter box is dirty or not full enough I would just make more of an effort to clean it, and adding a second box will enable you to buy a little more time between cleanings.
    Have you ever listened to Animal House on NPR?  I swear 90% of the callers are calling in about cats peeing outside the litter box.  I don't have a cat, but this sounds like the advice they would give.

Is there a pets board?  You could try posting there.
  • Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited July 2014
    Thanks ladies...im just so overwhelmed lately.

We have a 1-cat, 1-story household and the litter is in the quiet, less frequented bathroom of the home. I cleaned out the box and gave her fresh litter....if the problem continues, I'll be taking her to the vet. She never had a problem with being attracted to the box, if she nixes it, its due to it being dirty or too strong of a cleaning solution being used. In the past a vet thought she wasnt using it because she was a "problem cat and put her on "kitty prozac". Really, the cleaner was too strong of a smell.

All she "asks" is for her creature comforts.

Thanks for all the helpful words!!
    photo notebook.jpg 

• My cat does this sometimes, for spite. We hate her (except for DS)
  • Assembly_ReqdAssembly_Reqd member
    edited July 2014
    Two words. Kitty Prozac. get some.

Been there. It is a Liquid you can get for about 20 bucks per month and you use a siringe and either squirt it into their mouth or add to wet food. It chillaxed our cat enough to break the cycle and she was only on it for about 3-4 months. This happened twice. Once when Nate started to crawl and once when he started to walk and chase her. Now, she just rolls with it. Pick-ups by the neck, tail pulls and all. She is either a saint or too damn old to give a shit.(she's 18)
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• You need a vet to prescribe it. We got ours filled at Target.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• ...and she used her litter again I just need to be on top of this litter, and the urination problems disappear.
    photo notebook.jpg 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"