October 2014 Moms
Options

glucose meter help

I picked up the one touch ultra 2 from my pharmacy. But i just realized that the test strips are really expensive.

Does anybody have any suggestions for other meters.

Re: glucose meter help

• Options
    Did you get an Rx for the strips? That makes them a lot cheaper.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I will ask my doctor about an rx for the strips. I do want it to be accurate so that is helpful info.

Thanks ladies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    You can also check out some of the diabetes forums online (like tudiabetes or diabetes daily) to see if they have people who are selling or trading their unused test strips. That's not my preferred way to get them, but it is an option. If you get a prescription, make sure the doctor writes it for as many strips as you actually need. My Rx is for about half of what I use, but thankfully I can get the other half for free through my employee wellness center. It wouldn't hurt to see if you have a local clinic or health department where you could find the strips cheaper.

Also, check to see if your insurance company has a program where you can order them through their pharmacy for less (with or without a prescription), or if they have a discount code you can use to order them from a supplier online.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @MrsL2B! I don't mind spending the some money on them if they are more reliable I just feel like I am walking into this blind and want to be prepared for my class on Wednesday.
    I appreciate all the info from you ladies! !

• Options
    AargAarg member
    I have bought all of my strips on amazon!
  • Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited June 2014
    I got and RX and they went down to 38 for 100 and then since I am in meds now they are free.

I would for sure ask. They wrote my RX for strips, meter and lancets
  • Options

I got and RX and they went down to 38 for 100 and then since I am in meds now they are free.

I would for sure ask. They wrote my RX for strips, meter and lancets

Thanks. I had the rx for the meter and lance filled today! I will call ob on Monday about rx for strips.
  • Options
    Sockgnome78Sockgnome78 member
    edited June 2014
    You may want to also check with your insurance company. DH and I have a high deductible. So we shell out a lot of money for the test strips. But once I meet the deductible it is covered at a better rate.
    Also since I went through the training class I was given a meter with some lancets and strips to work with. Also on the side of the box was a discount card. So I do get some off that way too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    They sent my rx to the pharmacy for the meter and the lancets. They told me to bring my stuff to the class. No freebies for this girl.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"