Special Needs

PT questions

How do I tell when he's ready to try PT'ing? 

DS is non-verbal.  I know he knows when he has to go #2 at least most of the time.  He sometimes runs off on his own to do it in his diaper (today he ran to his room).  With peeing I am not sure that he knows, but have noticed him grabbing at himself periodically.  I'm guessing he's either noticing he has to go or that he IS going. 

How do I go about PT'ing? 

I am working on the sign with him, but it hasn't taken yet.  He's never really taken to PECS.  My biggest concern with attempting this is not knowing how he'll tell people he has to go.  There are some other issues we'll have to address, like that he doesn't really remove his pants on his own (he's capable and has helped me do it on occasion, just doesn't on his own), but those I know we'll work through.  I guess maybe we'll sort it out wit the communicating as well...he does find a way to get his point across with everything else...

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
~All AL'ers welcome~

Re: PT questions

• Yeah, the pants thing is a work in progress (what isn't?). Good point, though.

Most of his communication is physical. He's a hugger/kisser/jumper/wrestler sensory seeker type. He generally brings things to me that he wants (ie open a snack for him) or whines until I get him a drink or a meal. He started pointing about a month ago and is starting to understand how important that is in getting what he wants...but isn't to the point of pointing to the bathroom door.

He turned 2y9m today, so we are getting close to three but still have some time. I have a newborn at home as well. Not really looking to PT tomorrow or anything... it's more that I want to be ready and want to know what I'm doing. I'm starting to see signs he's headed in that direction. Excited about that.

He has ABA therapy. During the school year he is in a program in the public schools as well. They would have to be on board if I pt him during the school year. I guess in an ideal world I'd like him to have been trained by summers end.. but that's probably wishful thinking.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• We are in a similar position, except my DS1 is 4 and very delayed globally.  He is also nonverbal.  I have noticed him hiding for poop so we are going to start pt soon.  We bought him a potty and have slowly had him sit on it for a bit.

We also bought training pants.  I don't think him peeing himself while standing up will make sense so we're doing cotton training pants and taking him every 30 minutes.

DS1 doesn't sign or do PECS but he does what your son does.  So we're going to start with keeping the bathroom door shut and before we go in we'll bang on it.  I figured this is similar to him banging on the back door when he wants to go outside so I know he is capable of this level of communication.  

From there we'll put a picture or him sitting on the potty on the door and we'll bang that before we go in.  

We'll then branch to taking the picture off the door before going in, and then we'll try to get to just handing us the picture when he has to go.  

Could you possibly use banging the bathroom door or another simple movement that could carryover to school.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • What does your ABA team think?
    Our ABA team was integral to PTing DD and helped us work on things like pants up/down  as part of the prep/process. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are pretty new with them, just started a couple weeks ago. I did mention it the other day and she said they could work with us...didn't say how.

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I'd ask for a general idea of their usual PTing protocol. It can vary significantly between providers.
    The biggest steps are getting him to sit on the potty and to sit for 3-5 minutes so he has long enough to go. So that might be things you could work on in the meantime and move forward later in the summer/fall/winter when evveryone is ready.
    Our plan was a 3 day plan ( and worked with 1 or 2 bumps) so we just took a friday (ABA came for couple hours and helped us) and worked it through the weekend by Monday she was in panties outside of nap/nighttime. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a copy of Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism or Other Developmental Issues just sitting here. You can PM me if you want it.

I'd lean on the ABA team for this. They've been there, done that. Start working on the stuff like independently removing clothes in the meantime. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • typeset said:

I have a copy of Toilet Training for Individuals with Autism or Other Developmental Issues just sitting here. You can PM me if you want it.

I'd lean on the ABA team for this. They've been there, done that. Start working on the stuff like independently removing clothes in the meantime. 

I just ordered it off Amazon a few minutes ago :( How much would you want for yours, maybe I can still cancel...

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Free, dude. I'd just donate it otherwise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • I was able to cancel the Amazon order! Will PM when I can get both kids to bed (solo tonight).

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• @typeset

PM sent

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)