August 2014 Moms
Options

Who's in the delivery room with you?

I recently found out I could have up to 3 people in delivery with me. DH is a definite and I'm debating over my mom, too. I figure I can always ask her to leave if I change my mind. (My lil sis asked but i said no) So, what are your plans? If you are a STM, what did you first time and have your plans changed this time around?
BabyName Ticker

Re: Who's in the delivery room with you?

• Options
    We plan on just BF and I. The entire time. Birth to me is just so intiment and special between a couple, especially the first child. I'm also selfish, I want BF to be the first to tell me her hair color (he's a red head) and him be the very first to see her. I want to be able to have our moment together without an audiences or allowing another person special time with baby before I'm ready. IF I really need another support I'll call up my mom, but I really don't think that will be needed. Birth is no family affair to us...
  • Options
    Just SO and I. I figure it was an intimate moment getting pregnant and it ought to be just as intimate at the birth of our baby.
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We went back and forth (and argued a little about it) but we decided on having DH and my mom in for the labor. She'll leave once I start pushing so that the first moments with Charlotte will be just between the two of us. We also think it could be good to have someone there to communicate to teh family members what's going on, get anything we may need/forget, etc. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker image

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Just DH for the actual delivery. My mom and dad will be in the waiting room and will likely come in up until we get to the pushing part. Then after she is born it will be DH and I for a while (while I do the first feeding, deliver placenta, DH gets to hold her, etc.) after that, my parents will come back in and meet their first grandchild. I also think they will be helpful as we are moved from L&D to our mother and child room. DH can then push baby, staff will take me, and my mom and dad can take our stuff all in one happy train!
    TTC Since January 2012 Me:37 DH:34      DX July 2013: Unexplained Infertility      New DX Dec 2013: DOR
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/13/13 M/C 6/6/12  BFP#2 2/21/13 EDD 11/3/13 M/C 2/26/13 BFP#3 C/P
    4 rounds of clomid, 2 with IUI = BFN
    November/December Retesting/Natural Cycle = Surprise BFP @ 11dpo! Beta#1 76.6@13dpo Beta #2 276@15dpo u/s#1 6w2d hb113 u/s#2 8w2d, measuring 8w4d hb168! 10w2d hb171 12w3d Verifi results are in and good! EDD 8/23 Our Baby Girl Rainbow Baby born 8/20/2014!!!
    Um...what? BFP 11/2/15!?! EDD 7/4/16
  • Options
    DH + doula only. I'm also asking my family to give us a day for rest before they arrive, but doubt that'll happen.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    H only. I love my mom, but I am not sure as to how good of a support person she would be. She tends to kind of freak out under stress, and her labors were both extremely short, so if mine is not, I don't know how supportive she will be and how much patience she will have.

August 2014 January Siggy Challenge

• Options
    RacllaRaclla member
    Lots of medical staff!!!

DH and I need to be the only amatures in the room.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Options
    DH and my mom. My mom was a big help last time to keep me company. Not that DH wasn't but my mom understood what I was going through better.

• Options
    FI for sure and maybe my mom depending on the circumstances. My mom was the only one who stayed with me during the birth of my son - ex decided to leave for 3 hrs to get "lunch" with his dad. Obviously ex won't be in the room this time as its not his kid and we've been divorced for several yrs.
    IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    DH and my mom were there for my sons birth, they were both WONDERFUL, and I couldn't have done it without them. This time, I asked my mom if she wanted to be there again and she said she will if I want her there, but that it was stressful/hard to see her kid go through that last time... However, I had a traumatic birth with my son with a horrible OB. I'm at a much better, more progressive hospital this time, and hopeful that it will be a totally different/healing experience. Part of me wants my mom to be there for that, but logistically I also don't know if she will make it to us in time for the birth as I had a fast labor last time. So as of right now, it will definitely be my DH and my doula, and possibly my mom.
  • Options
    I had DH, my mom, and my sister last time, and that was fine for me. Honestly, by the time I got to the pushing part there could have been a film crew and a marching band in the room and I probably wouldn't have noticed. All I could see/hear was my OB.
  • Options
    For my first pregnancy I had visitors in and out all damn day and never got to rest during labor. When it was time to push everyone but H was kicked out to the waiting room.

With my second pregnancy it was just H & myself the entire time and it was so much nicer that way.

This time will be like the last time. No visitors during or after labor. We will be inviting people to our house a few days after I get home.
    My family and in laws are all super intrusive, overstay their welcome and expect to be entertained the entire time they are around. This is one of the reasons we won't be having visitors for a while after birth.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Just SO and I. I'm very close with my mom and sister but kind of private when it comes to certain stuff. I'd like for us to be able to share the birth of our son just the two of us. After I'm in recovery, there will be plenty of time for our family to see the baby :)
    BabyFetus Ticker

Our first.. Baby BOY! EDD 8/20/14 :) 
  • Options
    Definitely DH and my mom, my mom used to work as an RN in labor and delivery so I'll be glad to have her there
    photo c9f20a08-e61b-4141-972e-d243ea91d7a9.jpg
  • Options
    Just DH and I. We want to have our private moment as a family first before everyone else takes over lol
  • Options
    DH and my mom. They were both there last time and were a huge help to me. I can't imagine not having my mom there with us.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH and our doula were the only people in the room with me for labor and delivery with DD and it will be the same this time. We let our parents come in after we had tried breastfeeding for a while and bonded as a family.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    On a drunken night before pregnancy my best friend (LO's godmother) asked if she could be in the room and I was like surrrreeeeee. Now that the time is getting close I have realized I really just want it to be DH and I since it is our first time. None of our family lives in the state so we don't have to worry about that.

Now I am just hoping my friend doesn't get too upset when I tell her I have changed my mind. 
  • Options
    H & hospital staff only.  I don't even want other people in the waiting room until I have delivered, that way H doesn't feel like he has to go back & forth to them.  His family lives close enough that they could be there soon enough after delivery without having to wait.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

On a drunken night before pregnancy my best friend (LO's godmother) asked if she could be in the room and I was like surrrreeeeee. Now that the time is getting close I have realized I really just want it to be DH and I since it is our first time. None of our family lives in the state so we don't have to worry about that.

Now I am just hoping my friend doesn't get too upset when I tell her I have changed my mind. 
    Hahahaha at a BBQ with friends when I pregnant with my first one of our good friends (married without kids) totally said he would love to be in the room with us. We all got a good laugh out of it, but I think he wasn't entirely kidding, and in reality, I'm sure he is one of the rare men that would actually be a great birth support type person. He has since had his own son and is just an all around great daddy. I thought it was cute that he admitted such a thing in a crowd though, even though I'm sure the beer probably helped him along a little ;)
  • Options
    BeachMBeachM member
    DH will be with me in the OR.  Unless something happens with the ship he's stationed on and he can't be there in which case my mom will be with me.

• Options
    Just my husband and the midwives. This isn't a show for anyone else IMO

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    camichalskicamichalski member
    edited June 2014
    I always planned on my DH only. I do joke with by bff that she needs to be there just incase he passes out. I am not entirely sure if my bf thinks I am serious on not!
  • Options
    Just my DH! My parents and sister will know we're at the hospital as they're taking our dog, but won't come until after we've had a bit of alone time with LO and moved to post partum (about 1-2 hours after baby arrives). It's the first grandchild on my side so I want them there before my inlaws (grandchild #13 on DH's side...big family) but they'll come sometime in the first few hours too
  • Options
    Just my H and the people who work there.  It will be a special moment between us, and I'd rather not have an audience...
  • Options
    My husband. With my first mh and mil were there and I liked having her cause she was very helpful. The last time it was just h cause the in laws kept dd and will probably have both this time as well.
    I will say after ds was born she came down to the hospital right away and I wasn't very happy about it but she brought food since the kitchen was closed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My mom and H were both there for my son's birth, under the agreement that if she was stressing me out or my mind changed for any reason , she would be booted, no hard feelings. She was crying about as hard as I was when he made it out, took a few pics and left for the waiting room when he was a few minutes old

this time she'll be watching J, so it'll just be my husband with me, but I don't regret having her there the first time either
  • Options
    DH and I only for actual delivery but both of our moms will be in the waiting room. If DH needs a break my mom will step in, his mom will get super offended by this because I DO NOT want her in there at all, she is a big stress to me. But my mom is super supportive so having her on stand by will be nice. I don't think I can keep either mom from being in the waiting room
  • Options
    With DS, I had my Mom, Dad, and DH in the room. My Mom was my main support while I was laboring in the tub. DH was there holding my hand while I was pushing and getting the epi. My Dad was the one walking with me around the halls in my early labor, and bringing comedic relief. He also took photos.

This time it will be my Mom, Dad, DH, and my MIL. Our hospital doesn't care how many people are there, as long as they stay out of the way when need be. (for example when I had the epi..everyone but DH had to get out)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Only DH and medical staff! Considering my mom was surprised to learn that the hospital allows DH to stay in my room the whole hospital stay and that you give birth "right there in your room?!".....I think even after 4 kids she may be a bit overwhelmed with being there even if I did ask.
  • Options
    This time it will be just DH and the medical team. With my first my mom drove down when I was in labor and spent a little time with me when H needed a break. He's really bad with medical stuff, and hospitals make him nervous. He also has issues with low blood sugar so I kicked him out to get lunch while I got my epidural and napped.

When it was time to push, and for any progress checks, mom was kicked out. she came back about 2 hours after he was born before they moved us to the mom and baby unit. She helped carry all our stuff, then went home to take care of our dog and clean the house.

• Options
    Just DH is the plan. =)

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• Options
    I flat out refused anyone but DH and I. I even asked not to have medical students from my teaching hospital come in. I had my mom and students the first time around and I felt so exposed and almost violated. No one listened to what I was saying and there was too much noise. After 30 hours, I was begging for a c/s, but my mother kept talking me out of it. As a result, I had a delivery from hell... With a lot of problems.

The second time around, with only DH there, my room was quiet, my delivery went basically how I wanted it (DS had a bit of trouble breathing, so no shin to skin and bfing was delayed for several hours). It was ideal.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Hubby. That's it and all will ever be. He was solo with DD and we plan to repeat. Too much going on with anyone else, especially since DD delivery turned into emergency situation.
  • Options
    My husband and my doula. I don't even want visitors at the hospital at all nor do I want people coming to my house soon after delivery.
  • Options
    Just MH this time. My mom was there last time but she'll have DS.

• Options
    Just dh.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"