Multiples
Options

juat found out im expecting twins

Had a question, at 14 weeks i just found out i am expecting twins, i delivered my now 3 year old natural/vaginally, no meds nothing. I know i should talk to my doctor about this and i have an appointment next week but what are my chances of delivering naturally again with twins? I am keeping in mind that both i and the babies have to be healthy in order to avoid a c section. How can i increase my chances or what are somethings i can do to maintain that open window. ive read that going to the chiropracator to get adjusted helps your babies to desend into the right position but is there any truth to this? I just want to hear from experienced mothers, please keep your negavite comments to yourself. Im just trying to learn as much as i can and it caught me by complete surprise.

Re: juat found out im expecting twins

• Options
    Congrats and welcome! Sorry I'm no help on the delivery stuff as I haven't delivered yet. 
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    KatieGummowKatieGummow member
    edited June 2014
    Congrats! The chances are great of you having a vaginal delivery. I think a lot of women (myself included) opt for a c section, rather than receive an emergency. I had to be induced at 38w (yuck) and I labored for 12 hours and pushed for 45. A's giant head got stuck and B flipped breech. My OB was a huge advocate for vaginal and gave me the option to continue laboring or her pulling out A and trying to deliver B breech. I decided a C section was best for me :) good luck!
    image    image    image    image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats!! I haven't delivered yet either but I think a lot will depend on the positioning of your babies and what your drs are comfortable with. And it can vary by dr within a practice. One dr I have basically said stars have to align with both head down and another said if baby a is head down but baby b isn't, we could talk about it. Both mine are breech at 34w so I am working to mentally prepare for a csxn despite the fact I would prefer a vaginal delivery. Hope your drs can help answer your questions!!!
  • Options
    dee071209 said:
    Had a question, at 14 weeks i just found out i am expecting twins, i delivered my now 3 year old natural/vaginally, no meds nothing. I know i should talk to my doctor about this and i have an appointment next week but what are my chances of delivering naturally again with twins? I am keeping in mind that both i and the babies have to be healthy in order to avoid a c section. How can i increase my chances or what are somethings i can do to maintain that open window. ive read that going to the chiropracator to get adjusted helps your babies to desend into the right position but is there any truth to this? I just want to hear from experienced mothers, please keep your negavite comments to yourself. Im just trying to learn as much as i can and it caught me by complete surprise.
    Congrats on your pregnancy. Many OBs will let you attempt vaginal delivery if both are head down or Baby A is head down with a smaller Baby B. This is also dependent on you not having certain complications. If both are breech or transverse at delivery time, it's almost definite you will have a c/s even with healthy babies. My midwife/OB team is very natural birth friendly and they explained that risks to me and the babies were too high to risk delivering vaginally (double transverse carries extra risks of uterine rupture or cord prolapse) so I wasn't even allowed to go into labor. If you are able to attempt vaginal delivery, they will most likely strongly advise you to have an IV and epidural placed in case of an emergency c/s. You don't need to have meds running, but it will allow them to get a c/s moving quickly if it's needed and is a better option than general anesthesia.

I don't know about the chiropractics, though I doubt it will make a significant difference. Some women try versions, but there's limited success with multiples. It's just different with two vying for space. Mine settled into their final spots around 26wks and wouldn't budge at all. They were also bunk bed style in their sacs, so that didn't help.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    Congrats! As pp have said, a lot is out of your control. I had a very easy and (relatively quick) vag delivery with my oldest. I very much wanted a vag delivery w the twins but positioning is key. My baby a was breech and smaller, so I had to have a c/s. My water broke at 34w causing baby a's cord to prolapse, so I was put under general anesthesia. It was so far at the opposite end of the spectrum from how I wanted my birth to go.

If you are able to attempt vag, most hospitals (but not all) will require you to push in the or. They will also require/strongly suggest you have an epi placed even if you don't want any meds to run through it in the event a c/s is needed.

There are plenty of moms here who have had vag deliveries, but I would get educated on all the options bc the complexities really increase w multiples.

• Options
    Congrats! I do think every doctor is different in this area. But my Baby A has been head down and B has been breech. My OB has been comfortable delivering vaginally and then moving B into a head down position after A gets out. A part of me wants to just opt for a C-section over induction b/c an induction can lead to a C-section possibly anyways (I'll probably be induced end of next week if they don't come on their own).

FWIW I, too, had DD naturally, no meds or anything, but this time I have to have an epi whether I want it or not b/c in order to manually move B they need to reach right up me and turn her and, w/o an epi, that would feel very painful. Also, they like giving an epi to twin moms in case of C-section, otherwise mom would need to be under general anaesthesia which is not ideal; with the epi, they can give you the local so you can have a C-section basically (also why you deliver in the OR). I'm also in Canada, so practices of course vary from area to area and OB to OB.

You may need to mourn the loss of the birth you wanted b/c with twins things can change at any time. It's been hard, but I'm at the point now where I just want them out of me!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Congrats! We found out at 17 weeks we're having twins. My OB team has been very optimistic that a vaginal delivery is very possible. As long as baby A is head down they see no problem with it. I'll still deliver in the OR with an epidural no matter what. As far as increasing the chances, I'm not sure there's really anything we can do.
  • Options
    I think a vaginal delivery is totally possible, there are just many more variables. I don't know that there's anything you can "do" per se, since as PP's have said, it's mostly out of your control.

I had placenta previa (which seems to have resolved itself) but that would have meant a c-section. One twin is now trying to force his way in front of the other twin- around her placenta- which would mean a c-section. So for those and other reasons we're scheduling a c-section! My doc has twin moms labor in the OR, regardless, and you get an epidural regardless- just in case something goes wrong quickly you're already there, ready to be given the necessary drugs. Definitely talk to your doc about how he/she handles it.

Good luck and congrats and I hope you get to have a positive birth experience with healthy babies and mom!
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is definitely a question for your OB, as there are too many factors that determine whether you can deliver vaginally.  Before you get to delivery, however you should be prepared that your pregnancy experience with twins is going to be completely different that your first pregnancy.  There are considerably more risks like intrauterine growth restriction, twin-to-twin transfusion, and your risks of pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, and pre-term labor are increased.  As a result, expect to be monitored more closely.  Trust me, as your pregnancy progresses, you'll find yourself more concerned with just getting your babies safely delivered rather than how they're delivered.  Next time you go to the OB, be sure to ask lots of questions about what to expect.
  • Options
    Welcome and congratulations! I was able to vaginally deliver my twins. It's possible but as people said so many factors have to be just right for it to happen.
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • Options
    Congratulations! I wish I could advise you on the natural birth thing, but I didn't have any luck. My baby A was breech at 18 weeks and he stayed that way until the end. So, I had to have a CS. 
    But, it's still very possible that you'll be able to have another natural birth, it does happen. 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    I had to shop for docs to find one to allow a natural delivery of twins. He is all for it but certain conditions still have to be met. I think the type of twin make a difference too (mine are di-di). I have also decided if I have to have a section then I will be mentally prepared because I know with my doctor it really is a last resort.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I'm 33 weeks now, my Baby B is still moving, he was head down three weeks ago and is now breech but Baby A is head down. My Dr said as long as Baby is head down he is comfortable with delivering a breech Baby B, haha! Not something I'm totally comfortable with and something I'm looking more into, we just had out appointment yesterday. Any how, no matter what position the babies are in, I will deliver in an OR just in case.

My Dr is pro vaginal delivery, but having said that the babies have a mind of their own. On another note, my mom had twins 30 years ago, naturally at 39 week.....working full time. So anything is possible.
  • Options
    Congrats!  Starting off with an intro stating "keep your negative comments to yourself" is generally not the best of ideas, but I'll try to ignore that.

There's nothing, really, that you can do to increase your chances of having 2 head down (or even 1 head down) baby.  I have a some friends who tried working with chiropractors, herbalists, acupuncture, etc and it's all kind of a crap shoot.

I also wanted a vaginal and unmedicated delivery, but sometimes things aren't in our complete control.  Better get used to that now :-)  My RE insisted strongly encouraged an epi just in case I ended up needed an emergency c/s.  W/O the epi, I would have needed general anethestia in that situation.  He was open to me holding off as long as possible for the epi, so I labored unmedicated (well, except the pitocin) for most of my labor.  

You are only 14w, so if you bring this up with your doc now, they are likely to brush it off.  It's good to think about, but there are so many things that will happen between now and then.

Good luck and lose the attitude.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• Options
    I also has a vaginal birth. I initially was set on a c-section due to the fact that baby b was breach until week 24. So I started weighing my options and decided that as long as everything was ok that we try to do a vaginal birth.  My OB said she would try to keep baby b in the right position after A was delivered.
    It all worked out and Baby B was delivered 38 minutes later.
    As long as there aren't any complications, it is possible. But make sure you and your OB are on the same page.

Congrats to you!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP#1 • 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD • MTX 11/30/12
    BFP#2 • 6/30/13 EDD 3/9/14...TWINS!! Baby A (BOY)-167 HB • Baby B (GIRL)-174 HB
    January 31, 2014 • Dominic Jayden 4lbs. 8oz.Ciara Aliyah 3lbs. 11oz. at 34w5d
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"