April 2013 Moms
Options

Babysitting Rate

Hello ladies. I've been around for a while but rarely post because I can't bump at work and it's a pain in my phone.  So long time lurker who rarely posts here.

I am curious about the going rates for babysitters.  I'm going to have my coworker's thirteen year old daughter watch LO for a couple hours while I am home but cleaning, doing chores, etc. They will just play in the den. How much should I offer to pay her?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Babysitting Rate

• Options
    none5none5 member
    I just did this the other day, and I gave her $10 for the 2 hours she was here. I don't know if that is the going rate, but it was what I had and she seemed happy with it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A 13-year-old? Maybe $7/hour. But it is probably a good idea to ask her (if she has done this before) what she normally charges before she actually comes over to help you out.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is really going to vary by region. I generally pay $6-7/hr for one child, $8/hr for two, and $10/hr for three. That's if we're gone.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options
    Ah, remember I live in Chicago. I give the high school girl $12 per hour and our adult babysitters (out of college) $15 per hour. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I pay my sister in law or cousin (18 and 19) $35 for three hours when we have date night. So what's that like $10 something an hour?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    love4blove4b member
    In NYC the going rate for babysitters is the entirety of your 401K + 10%. Just kidding (kinda).

For your situation, I like the $20 and a cupcake suggestion :)

• Options
    @CoffeeMonster19 I can tell we're in the same state!
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    Going rate around here is $12 ish an hour but if I was going to be home I would say less -- $8-10?

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Why does it matter if you're home? Should pay be different for this reason? Just curious

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Options
    hatroopes said:

Why does it matter if you're home? Should pay be different for this reason? Just curious

I'm basising pay on age guess that isn't any better lol I feel like a 13 year old would be happy with $20 for hanging out with the baby. She is 13 so she can't have the full baby watching responsibilty so no full time pay.

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm basising pay on age guess that isn't any better lol I feel like a 13 year old would be happy with $20 for hanging out with the baby. She is 13 so she can't have the full baby watching responsibilty so no full time pay.

$20 sounds reasonable for a 13y/o for 2 hours...just wasn't sure if being home also meant less pay and if that mattered

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Options
    hatroopes said:

hatroopes said:

$20 sounds reasonable for a 13y/o for 2 hours...just wasn't sure if being home also meant less pay and if that mattered

I don't know if it matters that I will be home so I was just throwing that fact out there.

I guess the difference between being home and not are that I will change diapers and be there if she needs me. The babysitter wants to get more experience with kids so she can actually babysit and I'm thrilled to have a couple hours to get stuff done. Bonus is that LO will have a blast.

Thanks for all the input :)
  • Options
    I told you guys I suck at bumping. I didn't mean to put the quotes in there.
  • Options
    I think you pay someone based on their experience and competency. A new employee who needs someone with them all the time to do the job and is still "in training" is not going to make as much as someone more experienced. I think that's the issuemuch more so than whether you are home or away from the house.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    hatroopes said:

Well in my mind, if I'm home I'm still "on call" for the hard stuff or meltdowns and the sitter is really just keeping child occupied and/or playing with him or her.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, i remember getting paid $2 an hour to watch 3 kids! I'd be on the $5 end of the spectrum. I see it as entertainment and not much responsibility. At that age she will be happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"