Special Needs

PT the younger first

Is it harder/even possible to PT the younger sibling while the older one is still either in diapers or in training?  We start DS1 on Friday with the help of the BCBAs.  I'm scared.  #1 of the amount of work it will be and #2 that it won't be successful.  Anyway, we need to TRY, it's time.... and I figured it would be hard to PT the younger one if he sees the older one in diapers.  I wouldn't say DS2 is totally ready but I hope in a few months he will be.  Anyway, just wondering if it's a disaster for DS1 does that mean we won't be able to PT DS2 because of seeing his older brother still in diapers.  I'm not trying to be negative or assume failure, I'm just curious. 

Re: PT the younger first

• I even have fantasies of DS2 seeing us load the praise on DS1 for PTing and then suddenly DS2 will be interested, motivated, and a breeze to PT... Ha ha ha.

• Thanks for posting that real-life account.  I could see this happening with my 2... though of course I hope we are more successful with the older one.  I can't say that DS1 would think, "screw that, it's too hard and I'm too dumb"... For him it's more of getting him to want to do it, getting his interest.  We've also been putting a lot on him lately.  He's been eating "real" food at home (not many different ones, but still....) and I'm worried about losing that progress.  As for DS2, I'm not sure how to describe it other than to say DS2 just likes doing good things.  He's "with it."  Please God let him remain that way. 

• Loading the player...
  • Both my boys are heavy night-time wetters, too, so night training is something I really, really, really don't look forward to.  We've cut down on evening fluids.  I don't know where the pee comes from.  Their genes are against them, too.  Both DH and I were awful bed-wetters.  *sigh* 

• hopecountshopecounts member
    edited June 2014
    One of the Mom's in our social skills group just dealt with this. Her oldest DD has ASD her younger is NT. They were working with the BCBA to train her older DD and her younger wanted to do it too. Now her younger is PT and her older is still working on it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • greyt00greyt00 member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks.  :) 

• Oops, didn't see Auntie's post when I replied.  So if they ever start waking up dry often, at that point you'd give them access to the bathroom at night and put them in underwear?  No idea how that is supposed to work.... Honestly I fear what DS1 might do if given bathroom access all night.  Hope he's got enough sense not to play in the tub, turn on water, etc. by that time.  Doesn't really sound safe.  I guess he'd have to go downstairs to the half bath.  

I'm really dreading this because DS1 is extremely uncooperative sometimes.  If he doesn't want to sit on the toilet, this will be torture.

• hopecountshopecounts member
    edited June 2014
    greyt00 said:
    Oops, didn't see Auntie's post when I replied.  So if they ever start waking up dry often, at that point you'd give them access to the bathroom at night and put them in underwear?  No idea how that is supposed to work.... Honestly I fear what DS1 might do if given bathroom access all night.  Hope he's got enough sense not to play in the tub, turn on water, etc. by that time.  Doesn't really sound safe.  I guess he'd have to go downstairs to the half bath.  

I'm really dreading this because DS1 is extremely uncooperative sometimes.  If he doesn't want to sit on the toilet, this will be torture.
    Yep, once it happens just go with it.
    an option for avoiding the bathroom issue is a potty chair or similar in his room that he can use at night without having to access the actual bathroom if that is an option for him.
    A mom friend did this with her little girl, she was waking up when she needed to pee but was afraid to go to the bathroom at night so the Mom just put her little potty in her room to fix the issue. Worked like a charm  and the little girl started just getting up, going and then  returning to sleep of course she was NT so YMMV. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I thought about using a mini-potty in that case but didn't know if that would be confusing.  Anyway, I'm sure we are a long way from having this situation.  When he wakes up he will just scream anyway, unless we somehow solve this current problem which is quite frankly pi$$ing me off quite a bit now. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"