Multiples

Thrifty tips for saving $$ on multiples?

I'm starting to look at getting stuff stocked up for the babies and I was just wondering if anyone had any good tips or tricks on how to save $$ on buying anything and everything. This is my first pregnancy so we are starting from scratch! Any tips would be awesome :) thanks

Re: Thrifty tips for saving $$ on multiples?

• SV917SV917 member
    See if there is a local MoM group and join that. My local group has a huge sale twice a year with great deals on clothes, toys and gear. 

Cloth diapering is another great way to save money. Buy a couple different brands to see what you like and then get more of that when they are born. Kelly's Closet almost always has a coupon code for a free diaper with an order so you can try different brands for free. You also earn points for every purchase that you can redeem for a gift certificate.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Google multiple discount. I found a lot of companies offer parents' of multiples discount and free items. I have received three boxes of formula five boxes of diapers, wipes, bottles, etc. You will have to wait until they are born and photocopy their birth certificates but it has been pretty awesome. BRU also offers 10 percent off for multiples at checkout.
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely go to your local MoM's sale.  You can get such a great deal on clothes and toys.  Also, you don't need two of everything (especially toys).  I had two swings, two bobby's, and two exersaucers (only because a friend lent me one). 

I purchased a box of diapers once a week while I was pregnant and didn't need to buy them until the twins were 12 months old.  If you buy them at Costco or Target and need to return them because they outgrew a size, they don't ask questions and will let you exchange them.  I also bought wipes while I was pregnant.  I helped to spread out the cost of everyhting. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Consignment sales are your best bet and they usually kick into swing in July for the fall. I LOVE consignment sales!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also check Facebook for local kids stuff resale groups. The prices on my local Facebook group are way lower than even Craiglist and often things are sold by "lot." Ie. I bought a "lot" of 26 footed PJs (size newborn - six months) for $13.

For things I wanted to buy new (i.e. cribs and car seats) I waited for a sale. That worked for car seats. For cribs we ended up going with Ikea which has prices far below what you'd pay at Pottery barn etc.

I also was careful not to take off tags until for sure we needed an item. That way if I was able to get it as a hand-me-down or second hand I could return it for store credit and use that towards other items, diapers, etc.

If you need a breast pump, check and see if you can get a free one through your insurance carrier.

Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Also, BRU and BBB will take each other's coupons, at least around here (CA).
    Me - 35. DH - 40. TTC #1 since 9/2010. 
    IUI #1-2 BFN
    IUI #3 BFP = C/P
    IUI #4-6 BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron and Gonal F: 29R 29M 28F
    2 blastocysts transferred 12/14/13
    Beta at 9dp5dt = 285; Beta at 12dp5dt = 925
    It's twins! EDD 9/2/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you guys so much! I'm only 17w but I really want to be prepared! I really appreciate it! I'm going to try it all lol
  • I'm lucky in that I'm almost the youngest among my cousins. So, when they found out I was having twins the offers rolled in for hand-me-downs and borrowing things. Some of DH's coworkers have gotten in on the action, too. For them, it boils down to "I'm tired of storing this" and for us it's just wonderful. We're being careful to keep track of what came from who so we can return it later.

BRU does have the multiples discount for repeat items, but also, towards the end of your pregnancy' they'll send you a "registry completion" coupon where you can go in one time and get a % off of everything you buy that trip that is still on your registry. Bye bye baby does this too. It doesn't hurt to tell them you're due a little sooner than you are to make sure you have a chance to get and use the completion discount ;-). BRU also almost always has a BOGO half off sale going on some brand of baby bottles or feeding items and often on other items as well. Occasionally, they'll run awesome one-day sales on stuff. (They enail these out). A couple months ago, one of the sales was $5 fitted crib sheets. Another time, it was $35 crib mattresses. If you start early and wait patiently, great things can happen.

I second garage sales and consignment sales. I truly lucked out at a consignment sale and got a $5 changing table and a $5 swing. I danced for joy and never looked back! Just make sure there are no recalls on the item and that it isn't old enough to need lead paint testing, etc.

I pick up a lot of clothes, for the twins and my toddler, either at garage sales or from the clearance section. Some of the sales are amazing, especially if you wait for them to get desperate enough to get rid of an item. Of course, if you wait too long, you also run the risk of losing out on it, so if it's something you really love, snap it up when it's just on sale.

I started looking for our second car seat early on (we have an older daughter, and her car seat was still good) and checked all the web sites every week. It finally went on sale, and I snapped it up for $60 less than the normal price. Don't forget to try out the car seats and stroller to make sure they fit in your car!
  • Stores seem to have a multiple discount if you buy two of the same item in person. I was told to ask "what is your multiple discount?" Not "do you have a multiple discount?" It's generally 10% off the second item.
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • TRS48TRS48 member
    edited June 2014
    The best thing I did was join my local MoMs group and get to know other twin MoMs. Once they are done with their baby gear they are so ready to get rid of it and usually will sell it for a great deal to other twin MoMmas. :) A lot of the time they will give you extra stuff too for free because they just don't need it and want it out of their house. I expect ill do the same eventually :) Also I joined Amazon Mom and made my registry on Amazon, which gave me a 15% completion discount, and that helped a lot. We saved up CC points (bought a lot of big items early on as they went in sale so that helped, along with lovely high risk pregnancy related medical bills we paid with our CC, etc) and were able to use those + our discount to finish most of our registry shopping. Not gonna lie it's still expensive even after all of this. But these things have helped a lot to lessen the blow. Keep your eyes out for sales on expensive items like cribs, car seats, etc. and bite the bullet when they drop in price. We didn't enjoy dropping $300 on car seats during an expensive medical bill month but to save $100, it was worth it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FYI amazon is offering $100 off if you purchase $500 on nursery stuff. I'm debating buying some bigger items now
  • I second the Facebook B/S/T groups for Moms of Multiples baby clothes and other baby items as well as cloth diapers. Both can save you tons!

Together 6 wonderful years.
    TTC #1 18 months 1 loss DX unexplained IF-- BFP July 2009-- ITS A BOY
    TTC #2 3 years and 3 losses DX PCOS -- BFP April 2013-- TWIN BOYS!
    ~DS1-Feb 2010~ 
    ~DS2&3- Nov 2013  {7 weeks early}~ TTC #4~
  • lc&jwlc&jw member

- Start shopping early and watch for sales. Know what items you want and be ready to snap them up when the price drops.

- Amazon mom gives discounts on diapers. They also have a "mom appreciation" sale once or twice a year which gives a 20% discount of up to $100 off eligible items. We managed to get $100 off our carseats this way.

- You don't need 2 of everything. We bought 2 cribs, car seats, high chairs, and boppy pillows. Almost everything else is shared. With items like swings or bouncers it helps to buy one and see how your babies like it. One may love it and one may hate it. Also, rather than buying identical items, we ended up buying 2 different bouncers- that way there was variety even if each baby was going in a bouncer, it wasn't always the same one. Novelty can be good.

- Shop clearance racks for clothes. I never bought more than 6 months ahead though, since it can be unpredictable how your kids will grow and you don't want to have a snowsuit that doesn't fit until July.

-Carters will let you return just about anything, anytime, so don't take the tags off until your babies are ready to wear the items. Keep the receipts.

- Buy Buy Baby has an awesome return policy if you receive gifts and don't have a receipt. They also honor Bed Bath & Beyond coupons as long as they aren't expired.

- Used clothing or consignment stores can have great deals on clothing and sometimes toys. Kids go through clothing so quickly during the first year that most of the clothing in smaller sizes is very gently used.

-Don't wash all the newborn clothes you buy until you have a better sense of what kinds of clothes you like (example do you like or hate gowns, onesies, footed sleepers with zippers vs. snaps, particular swaddle blankets, etc..). Different moms prefer different styles of clothing and it can be hard to predict if you haven't used them before.

TTC since June 2009
    BFP #1 2/22/10 M/C 6w2d
    BFP #2 October 2010 CP
    BFP #3 1/11/11 M/C 8w5d
    IUI #1 Aug 2011= BFN
    IUI #2= BFP #4 9/18/11 missed M/C, D&C 10/18/11
    IUIs #3&4 = BFN
    IVF #1 May 2012 = BFP! Twins!!

Fraternal twins born Feb. 2013

Lilypie - (X78c)

• @erinwithtwins I was trying to find this deal on Amazon, since we still need all our nursery furniture. I can't seem to find anything about it on Amazon's page. Where are you finding this info?
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• By consignment. I order consignment sales vs. consignment stores. I got most of their big gear from consignment--RnP, swings, bouncy seats, excersaucer, jumperoo, stroller etc.

Ikea is a great place to shop. We got their cribs, dresser and high chairs from their. Great quality and super inexpensive.

Costco. We buy formula, diapers and wipes. We save a few dollars and those few dollars add up when you have to buy for two.

Clothes- also buy consignment. I don't dress mine alike or coordinated, so that makes it easier to shop consignment and save some money.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks @mer313131. We ended up ordering our cribs and a glider! Whoohoo! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

• We saved by skipping the full bedding set. Just got a couple waterproof mattress pads and fitted crib sheets (per child). The AAP recommends a bare crib to prevent SIDS anyways, so potentially saving a couple hundred on bedding that you can't really use is good. Skip the ride-in walker too. The walk-behind and push ones are better for development and safer, too (and less expensive). It's a win-win.
  • Craigslist! and Freecycle
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • If you have one in your area, Me and Mommy to Be has way better prices than UOAC.
  • Target's baby clearance area can sometimes have some seriously amazing deals.  Check it regularly!  I got my second Chicco Keyfit 30 for 75% off, and I've found a bunch of other gear that was marked down like crazy over the years.  

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• PSA- Target has a buy one get one 50% off on the majority of their maternity and baby clothes right now
  • they Sell Onesies At The Dollar Store. Once You Realize How Often You Have To Change Them You Learn Sometimes Cheaper Is Not So Bad.
  • dmurrie said:

We saved by skipping the full bedding set. Just got a couple waterproof mattress pads and fitted crib sheets (per child). The AAP recommends a bare crib to prevent SIDS anyways, so potentially saving a couple hundred on bedding that you can't really use is good. Skip the ride-in walker too. The walk-behind and push ones are better for development and safer, too (and less expensive). It's a win-win.

Also Bedding Isn't Safe. We Got Mesh Breathable Crib Liners.
  • I agree with the consignment sales.  I live in OH and we have 2 HUGE MoM sales a year.  I bought gear when I was 11 wks pg with my twins bc the next sale wasn't until April.  Good thing, bc I delivered early.  ;)  

I agree with no bedding and would also add that you might wait until after your baby shower(s) to buy clothes and small stuff.  I go to a big church and my DH has a big family - between the two, we had a a TON - I mean A TON of clothes.  I had to take stuff back and get the nexy size up bc they outgrew them before they could wear them all - AND they started out at 4.12 and 6.4, 6 weeks early!  Twins seem to get everybody excited about clothes, even when they're b/g like mine.  

On toys, I'm a craigslist shopper and a yardsaler.  I don't necessarily agree about getting one of each of a lot of toys - being a twin mom is hard enough, and if spending an extra $20 can make it easier, I'm all for it!  

If you want to make your baby shower $$$ stretch further, perhaps you could request gift cards to baby consignment shops in your area?  You might get a lot more bang for their buck, especially if everyone knows you're going to need it.  You can't get diapers there, but you can get a lot of gear and clothes, strollers, carriers, toys, play gyms, swings, etc.  

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on the swings!!!  

There's also a Moms of Multiples resale group on FB.  

I clicked your name and saw your post about Orchard Park - hope this doesn't make me a Bump Stalker, LOL.  I looked up your local MOTC club and it's here: https://www.motcofbuffalo.org/
    I joined my local chapter early in my pg and I'm sooo glad I did!  I got so much local support from other twin mommas and also bought stuff in the aforementioned sale.  Your local sale is coming up next month,  https://www.motcofbuffalo.org/calendar/  on Sept 20th.  

Good luck and CONGRATS!!!!  Twins are a huge blessing, no matter how hard they are the first 3 months! LOL
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"