Adoption

Crazy Week

Wow, I feel like I have been on a roller coaster for the past week. Early last week, I got an email from our agency saying that they are phasing out their actual adoption services and moving into a more counselling type role. They said that they will still be working with waiting couples for a while, but didn't give anything more specific than that. But what does that mean for us? Our home study was scheduled for yesterday, and we still haven't been approved, so do we count as "waiting"? And, how long will they work with us before they phase everything out? I tried to get in touch with our SW, but she was out of town for the rest of the week. She wouldn't be back until Monday, the same day our home study was scheduled for. Needless to say, I was in a terrible state. There isn't much adoption activity, and we would have to travel several hours each way to access the next closest agency. Plus, that agency is significantly more expensive, so we wouldn't have budgeted for the difference. Plus, would that mean that we had to start this whole process all over again? On top of everything, I was trying to get our place ready for the home study and remain optimistic that she would still be coming.
She did come yesterday, and our home study is finished. But, she didn't really have any answers to my other questions. She has to meet with government officials and some of her "higher-ups" to figure out how exactly this change is going to happen. As best I can tell, they will keep moving us along the process for a while and we will just see where we get to. At the very least, we will have a home study report at the end of everything that we can take to another agency if we need to. She will work on getting our home study report drafted and submitted for approval as soon as she has time (which, with her, could mean some time in December GRRRR) and then we will officially be waiting.

Re: Crazy Week

• I'm so sorry to hear that your agency is doing this to you.  How upsetting!  I hope you won't be out too much money, and if you need to go with another agency, you'll be able to use the homestudy that's already completed.

If I were in your shoes, though, I don't think I could wait around long for answers.  I would be proactively seeking a new agency.  Don't let distance scare you until you talk to the other agencies.  Our agency was in North Carolina and we live in New Jersey.  The agency just had someone here contract with them to do the homestudy/postplacement stuff.
  • sgb721sgb721 member
    Is this Domestic Infant Adoption? What state are you in? Hopefully they will give you more info soon, but you may also want to look into some other agency's with low up front costs. I'd start reseraching now as a back up plan if needed.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, it is DIA and in Alberta.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this!  If they are going to tell you that things are changing, they really should be prepared to tell you how it will impact you and what your options are. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"