April 2014 Moms
Options

The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

Re: The Great Big Breastfeeding Thread

• Options

I need help! My right nipple has been ridiculously sore & every time he latches on it burns & hurts so bad it takes my breath away. I have to use a shield in order to bf or it won't happen, seen the LC multiple times for this & we can't get rid of it.
    I've moved the shield around to make sure my nipple is centered & not crooked or anything. I keep using cream & the Medela soothing gel pads with no relief. It stops hurting after a few mins into him nursing but holy shit what can I do?!

Possibly you have an over active letdown?
  • Options
    I let them rustle around until I either can't take it anymore or they get worked up too much. With my second I'm a little more inclined to pay attention to the clock at night, too. He's not one for nursing for no reason, though, I'll often offer him the breast and he's not interested!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ccollins06ccollins06 member
    edited June 2014
    @Rachnan, I had a similar routine when I was back at work for the week (i'm a teacher and now on summer break).  I'm not able to pump very much, so I had to leave caretakers with formula to supplement with my EMB.  I was gone roughly 10 hours and he seemed to take 4-5 oz. every 2.5 hours, which seems like alot for an at the time, seven week old.  I also wasn't good at instructing caretakers with paced feedings, so i think they pretty much gave him a bottle whenever he fussed.

@Cpelland0, I try to do one weighed feed a week and it comes out anywhere from 1.5-2.6 ounces.  Which, he usually takes 4 if not 5 oz. from a bottle, so there is a disconnect.  The LC that runs the support group did point out that its just a "snapshot" and doesn't mean that what he's getting at every feed.  If it were reflux, wouldn't he have other symptoms? 

Basically, I feel like he's getting what he needs, but he's just a bigger eater than what my supply can keep up with and it makes him cranky/fussy much of the day.   I do have a thyroid condition and PCOS, and  both have been found to cause low supply.  Pedi wasn't much help, he was like, "you can supplement/top him off 1-2 oz. at each feed when he's fussy"  Which I know I COULD, I would really just prefer not to.

Am I too hung up on the whole EBF notion or are my concerns with supplementing valid?

Off BC since 9/10;TTC since 7/11
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    DX: PCOS/anovulatory/Hypothyroid
    SA: normal
    HSG: all clear
    5 cycles of Clomid/Femara + TI
    IUI #1 (7/16/12) Femara 2.5,+ Trigger=BFN
    Treatment break Aug. 2012-June 2013
    IUI #2 (7/27/13)=BFP!!!
    Beta #1 @ 13dpiui --145!
    Beta #2 @ 19dpiui--2,550!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edoliesmomedoliesmom member
    edited June 2014
    Would it be okay for me to give baby girl a bottle tomorrow that she didn't finish this evening? @Rrrrrachel‌ @ColleenSwerb‌
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    @khammond3‌ I've been trying to work on this, too. Is he really hungry or just needs soothed?

Depending on how long he's been sleeping, I may go in, give him his pacifier, re swaddle (we use receiving blankets) and start up the sleep sheep and see if he'll calm down. If he does, it usually gets me an additional 30-60 minutes, at which point I feed without even trying to soothe him back to sleep.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Keeping a bottle that doesn't get finished is usually ok for a few hours, but I wouldn't beyond that. The concern is bacteria can get in there from the baby's mouth. Usually if I can't use it for the next feed I toss it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LolaDair said:

I need help! My right nipple has been ridiculously sore & every time he latches on it burns & hurts so bad it takes my breath away. I have to use a shield in order to bf or it won't happen, seen the LC multiple times for this & we can't get rid of it.
    I've moved the shield around to make sure my nipple is centered & not crooked or anything. I keep using cream & the Medela soothing gel pads with no relief. It stops hurting after a few mins into him nursing but holy shit what can I do?!

When just one side hurts and there is no thrush (which there would very rarely be on one side anyway), it can be a poor latch due to some muscle tightness or issues with babe. Try feeding in a different position for a long while (like a week) and see if it improves, and maybe take him to a chiro. :) Tightness in the neck, shoulders, back can cause a 'bad' latch (uneven sucking, pressure etc) only on the one side. 

This is me too!! I know it's not due to a bad latch because I experienced that in the beginning. This is different. @Mrs.kohalic17 Does it feel like it's underneath your nipple, like below the surface? That's what mine feels like. The nipple itself doesn't hurt, but it's almost as if the ducts are sore. It's weird and hurts like crazy.
    February Siggy Challenge: Favorite TV couple ~ Jim & Pam <3

Edolie Mae ~ April 21, 2014 <3
  • Options
    I have one painful side too. It is my larger side with a faster letdown & more powerful spray, if you will. I think LO pinches it so he doesn't get flooded.
  • Options
    SLSchuerg said:

LolaDair said:

When just one side hurts and there is no thrush (which there would very rarely be on one side anyway), it can be a poor latch due to some muscle tightness or issues with babe. Try feeding in a different position for a long while (like a week) and see if it improves, and maybe take him to a chiro. :) Tightness in the neck, shoulders, back can cause a 'bad' latch (uneven sucking, pressure etc) only on the one side. 

This is me too!! I know it's not due to a bad latch because I experienced that in the beginning. This is different. @Mrs.kohalic17 Does it feel like it's underneath your nipple, like below the surface? That's what mine feels like. The nipple itself doesn't hurt, but it's almost as if the ducts are sore. It's weird and hurts like crazy.

Yeah it's like inside around the nipple that hurts too. But my nipple is definitely extra sensitive. Maybe it is the way he's laying, I'll try changing it up next time to see if that helps. I agree that maybe he's pinching off cuz it is my bigger faster one but if it is he does it immediately on the first suck. Idk it's hard to describe.
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @celticlullaby‌ - not creepy. We are totally boob twins! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with some of these issues!

Incidentally, the one-sided feedings and pumping only before bed & an hour after the first AM feeding have really helped even me out! How are things with you? I'm still getting more on the left but way less painful engorgement, etc.
  • Options
    @mborn24‌ The Nursing Mother's Companion says 72 hours.

• Options
    @mborn24‌ kellymom says 3-8 days with 72 hours being ideal. I try to use up milk by day 5 or stick it in the freezer.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/
  • Options
    @mborn24‌ it will smell funky if it has gone bad. Take a wiff and if it smells ok to you then put it in the freezer if you can't use it today/tomorrow. No need to dump it!
  • Options
    @mborn24‌ I would still freeze it!! I use 5 as the number to remember - 5 hours room temp, 5 days in fridge, 5 months in freezer. But also know that it could still be good longer!
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hi ladies! DH and I are planning on spending late afternoon/evening away from LO at an outdoor music fest in late July. LO will spend that time with my parents (who are super excited!). We are planning on being flexible w/ time (when we arrive/how long we stay/etc). And it's very close to home, so we can zip back at a moment's notice. At most, I'll be away from LO for 6ish hours (whether I can do that emotionally is a whole different story :)).

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice on pumping while away? I'm planning on having a beer or two--and once we're in the park, we won't be able to leave and come back. So, I'm thinking of purchasing an inexpensive hand pump, stashing it in my bag, and finding a somewhat secluded corner to pump & dump. I'm going back and forth as to whether this is a really stupid plan, how many times to pump,if it's unsanitary to use the pump twice w/o washing if I'm just dumping anyway etc. What would you do?

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    @Cecilbear‌ your plan sounds just fine to me! I would only pump once in that 6 hour span--just nurse lo before you leave and when you get back. If you're not saving the milk and planning on dumping, there's no point in worrying about sanitation. There are wipes you can buy made by medela that you can get at target that are good for cleaning your pump parts on the go. You can get those if you think you might want to save the milk.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    XP from stupid questions

So here's my stupid question for today. The lc at my breastfeeding class said 1-2 alcoholic drinks per day was fine for most people, no need to pump and dump. I've been living by that rule and have a beer almost every night. I was out to eat the other night and got a beer. I drank 16-18 oz or so (it was a 22oz beverage but I didn't finish the whole thing.) I definitely felt it but didn't have much more than a pint so I decided to test just to see. Test strip was a definite positive so I didn't feed. Waited a half hour or so to pump when I felt mostly normal again. I tested the milk I pumped with another test strip and it had a bit of color change in the corners. The directions say any color change at all should be taken as a positive. So I dumped it. Last night I drank an Angry Orchard and felt completely normal. Tested my milk for kicks and the color changed slightly around the edges again. I feel so conflicted. They say if you can drive you can nurse and I felt normal (ciders aren't even that strong) but my milk tested positive. Now I worry that I've been giving LO alcoholic breastmilk every night. Has anyone else had a positive result after only one drink?

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• Options
    Have you tested you milk when you haven't had anything to drink to see if the strips change at all? Try not to worry too much

Photobucket imageimage

• Options
    @hordol Thanks for chiming in! :) As for the test strips...I'd put more stock in how you feel. And I like @michaelad3‌'s idea of testing when you haven't had a drop, too.

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    edited June 2014
    I did a test today with no alcohol in my system and the strips didn't change color at all. Think they're just a little too sensitive? I will try not to worry about it. Thanks!

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• Options
    This is probably a (yet another one of my) stupid question(s), but here goes: We are leaving for a trip (flying) Wed-Sun. At our destination we are staying in a hotel. I EBF but have to pump twice per day (first thing in the AM & right before bed) due to large supply. I have been freezing the output of these two pumps for my stash.

I am taking my pump with me. I do not want my supply to adjust really anymore than it has (it's gone down a good bit with concerted effort to adjust it). I am comfortable with these two pumping sessions each day. My question is, I guess on the road I don't have much choice but to pump & dump this, right? I mean, is there any good way to bring it home? Or is that more trouble than it's worth?

The thought of dumping that much milk does pain me, but if it's unavoidable so be it. TIA.
  • Options

This is probably a (yet another one of my) stupid question(s), but here goes: We are leaving for a trip (flying) Wed-Sun. At our destination we are staying in a hotel. I EBF but have to pump twice per day (first thing in the AM & right before bed) due to large supply. I have been freezing the output of these two pumps for my stash.

I am taking my pump with me. I do not want my supply to adjust really anymore than it has (it's gone down a good bit with concerted effort to adjust it). I am comfortable with these two pumping sessions each day. My question is, I guess on the road I don't have much choice but to pump & dump this, right? I mean, is there any good way to bring it home? Or is that more trouble than it's worth?

The thought of dumping that much milk does pain me, but if it's unavoidable so be it. TIA.

I vaguely remember reading about a mom who traveled while EBF/pumping their first LO earlier on this post. Was it @ksulli‌ ??

I only remember that the hospital has to supply you with a freezer and the BM was shipped back?
  • Options
    Those strips are just going to make you crazy for no real benefit at all.
  • Options
    So I believe my LO is going through what I assume is a nursing strike. He's 10 weeks old and stayed at my parents house over night for the first time Saturday. He is EBF and rarely ever has a bottle. Ever since Sunday he pretty much refuses to nurse. In the MOTN is really the only time he gets a good feeding in and I think that's only because he's half asleep and using instincts more than anything. He pitches a fit and screams or it's a battle every time I try to feed him during the day. I give up, console him and he seems fine and happy even though he hasn't eaten.

Monday after not eating well all day I decided to try giving him a bottle to see if it was just a nursing thing and he took the bottle happily. So frustrating! I assume it's because he has a bottle preference and all it took was Saturday night for it to develop.

It's so hard to find any advice on this because instead of him having a bottle preference bc it's easier to get milk I think he has it because he actually GETS to work a little for it w/a bottle. I have an over active let down and oversupply so he never has to work for it and chokes often and it's frustrating for him every time he nurses.

I don't want to do 4x the work with pumping; I just want to be able to get back to nursing my baby. Any advice on how to end this strike? Can anyone relate? Feeling pretty down about this :/

Sorry for the never ending post!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ccollins06ccollins06 member
    edited June 2014
    @babylove4414‌ I can't say I can relate because I have the opposite problem (I think sometimes LO prefers the bottle because of my lowish supply/slow flow)--but the LC at my bf support group suggested for those with overactive letdown to start the feed on the pump and through the initial letdown. Then put baby on the breast after the flow has slowed. It's still extra work, but maybe it will encourage him to get back to the breast. GL!

Off BC since 9/10;TTC since 7/11
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    DX: PCOS/anovulatory/Hypothyroid
    SA: normal
    HSG: all clear
    5 cycles of Clomid/Femara + TI
    IUI #1 (7/16/12) Femara 2.5,+ Trigger=BFN
    Treatment break Aug. 2012-June 2013
    IUI #2 (7/27/13)=BFP!!!
    Beta #1 @ 13dpiui --145!
    Beta #2 @ 19dpiui--2,550!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    michaelad3michaelad3 member
    edited June 2014
    @babylove4414‌ I could have written your post aside from the overnight stay. We have gotten back to nursing and it's going pretty well. She hasn't had a bottle for about a week and a half now! The lactation nurse I saw advised me to try to spend a day in bed with LO with lots of skin to skin to "woo" her back. I didn't do it very well or consistently, but I just kept trying to nurse. I find that leaning back to nurse has helped, and I try to burp her and offer again

ETA: I know how frustrating it can be. Keep trying. I was also advised to drink a glass of wine and relax. I hope it works for you!

Photobucket imageimage

• Options
    @ccollins06 thanks! Pumping first a bit does make him a lot more interested and likely to nurse. Hopefully it's something I eventually won't have to do any more after a while. But at least it helps for now.
    @michaelad3‌ I'm surprised I've found someone who can't relate! I'm glad you were able to get back to nursing well again. I am going to try your advice tomorrow and just have a lot of skin to skin time. And good idea about the wine and just relaxing. It can be so frustrating when you feel like you can't feed your baby and he doesn't want you but being stressed doesn't help the situation. What are you going to do if your LO needs a bottle again any time soon?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    @babylove4414‌ don't give up on nursing yet! It was only one day with the bottle vs 10 weeks on the breast. He may have liked the bottle but I highly doubt one day has ruined 10 weeks worth of nursing. Just keep offering the breast and don't give a bottle unless absolutely necessary. I bet it will go back to normal soon :)

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• Options
    Thanks for the encouragement @hordol! Reminded me not to give up on a bad day :) Today seems to be a little better than yesterday. Just when I think I have this Breastfeeding thing down something always happens lol.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @celticlullaby‌ I'm in the same boat! I'm so frustrated. I've started walking around while nursing bc otherwise I'll be sitting in this same spot all day long! Good luck!

• Options
    Anyone else still have a badly cracked nipple at 11 weeks? I am doing APNO at night and lanolin during the day, but my DD is a milk machine and it is hard to get it to heal. It doesn't hurt anything like it did at 4-6 weeks, but I would rather not have a hole out of my nipple.
  • Options
    @LaBelle0412‌ - cracked nipple here on my left side. I struggle with that side as it is my overproducer and LO often slides off while attempting to eat because he's getting flooded out. I am trying to switch up nursing positions and that seems to be helping a little, but I've still got a painful crack.

How does one tell if your LO has a shallow latch? And how does that get corrected?
  • Options
    XP from RTT:

A touched stressed because we are staying at a hotel & I don't really trust this hotel mini fridge with my breast milk. It doesn't stay cold enough. If has one of those "2 hour quick chill" buttons but then I think it shuts off and just "holds in the cold." This morning I pumped and took the full bottles to my grandmother's house and put them straight in the freezer. The half-full bottle, though, I put in the mini fridge. The bottle feels cool, and I can see where some of the fat for stuck to the bottle around the top edge like normally happens in my regular fridge, but how do I know if this stayed cold enough all day? I wasn't here to keep hitting the 2hr chill button over & over, but also no one was opening the fridge. Any idea how to determine if the milk is still good?
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    So, baby poop.  LO used to have very curdly poops.  This past week, it's much thinner with not many curds.  He's spitting up more and nursing often for longer periods of time.  Am I having a supply issue?
  • Options
    I'm sure the milk is fine, rockstarlaw. Even in a cooler bag with ice packs it's good 24 hours.
  • Options
    Here's a new one. While nursing, lo was not only popping on and off, he then started swapping my boob for his fist?! I'm thinking he was trying to stay awake but he's also been very fussy today. Growth spurt perhaps (he's 12 weeks) or maybe teething? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    smushismushi member
    MrsW26 said:
    So, baby poop.  LO used to have very curdly poops.  This past week, it's much thinner with not many curds.  He's spitting up more and nursing often for longer periods of time.  Am I having a supply issue?
    How long has it been happening? This seems to happen to DD when she's in a growth spurt. Poop also gets greener. She just came out of a wicked one and it's back to yellow and seedy. I think all the extra nursing gives her a bit of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.
    Honestly, I guess almost two weeks now.  It started after his vaccinations, and I figured it was just related to that.  This week, it's been similar, slick and darker in color than the normal yellow seedy poop we were used to previously.  My diet has not changed, so all I can think is that he's spitting up more (big curds later on after feeding) so he's losing that fat he needs?  I say that, but he's a large baby, 10.5 weeks old and 14lbs... No weight gain issues.
  • Options
    XP from the RTT:

MIL told me today that she's been feeding LO 6-7oz at a time!!! Wait, what???? @-) he'll be 12wks tmrw & I was under the impression he was eating 5 at a time (which is still a lot!) I almost lost my shit. I told her well I just fed him 4oz & he wasn't hungry again til almost 3hrs later. So what the f&ck do I do about them over feeding him?!!! Not to mention I'm barely pumping enough to keep up with that!
    NTNP 11/2011 CP 11/29/12 BFP 8/6/13 EDD 4/16/14 ♥ 
    Logan Timothy - Born 4/5/14 @ 38w3d, 7lbs14.8oz, 20½in.
    imageimage
  • Options
    The seeds come and go here. It's not a sign if anything bad. Sometimes my kids poop is like paint.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"