Multiples

Feed both babies at the same time????

During the day I am bottle feeding the babies one after the other and it works well. During the middle of the night it can take me 2 hours to do this routine! At night I feed who ever wakes first, then I feed the next. Between burping, changing and putting back to sleep it takes 2 hours!!
Is there a way to bottle feed both at the same time?
Me:35,  DH: 39   
TTC since March 2011. All bloodword, SA & HSG are normal.  
8/12: Clomid & TI - BFN 
10/12: Colmid & TI - BFN 
3/13:  Clomid, Trigger & IUI - BFN 
4/13: Gonal F, Trigger & IUI: BFN  
6/13: IVF #1 (1AA blast & 1BB blast) = BFN 
8/13: FET #1= BFN
10/13: FET #2= BFP!!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image

Re: Feed both babies at the same time????

• They are 3 weeks old

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • Sometimes I put them in the twin z pillow and feed them both, it's faster but not easier.
    image    image    image    image

• Loading the player...
  • anakahanakah member

I would feed the twins in their bouncy chairs whenever I had to feed both of them at the same time.  They didn't need to be burped till they were done with their bottles though, so I'm not sure how that would work out if they need to be burped every so often.

Good luck!

• I used to put two boppies on the bed & feed them both at the same time. Burping wasn't necessary at night for my girl. They would often drift off to sleep. I only changed them if they were really wet or had pooped.
  • zazu13zazu13 member
    I had this problem up until about 8 weeks. I totally sympathize. I was also pumping in addition to 2 hrs of bottle feeding. Every. Three. Hours. I hope you have help!! I tried propping bottles, holding both in my lap, boppy pillows, RnP; nothing really worked as well as a second pair of hands. Due to how slow they were and the spit up and suck/swallow/breathe issues it wasnt possible to do it any faster when they were tiny. I always fed one after the other unless they were both having a meltdown. Doing both ended in a fiasco usually with all 3 of us covered in spit up. Now they are bigger (15w) and can fit in a boppy and dont need constant burping the boppy pillows are working wonders. I prop bottles occasionally and can hold one in my lap while sitting cross legged on the floor while the other is in a boppy. It was hard in the beginning but Feeding both now is nbd. Hang in there!

IVF #1 Sep '11 - canceled poor response

IVF #2 Nov '11  8R/8M/4F 3dt x2 - chemical

IVF #3 April '12  11R/6M/4F 3dt x2 - m/c

FET #1 Aug 2012  3dt x2 - BFN

**new RE**

IVF #4 Jan '13 BFN 11R/6M/6F 5dt x2 - BFN

IVF #5 July '13 16R/10M/10F 5dt x2 + 1 frostie

9dp5dt Beta 1 = 344!! 16dp5dt. Beta 2 = 4822 7wk u/s= 2 heartbeats!

Twin girls! 3/6/14

• Ugh- I did the same thing and it would take an hour and a half, then I would get am hours sleep in between feeds. I didn't figure out how to feed both at same time until later but I put them
    In bouncy seats now and do it. I am sorry- it gets easier mama!
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • I can relate as well. The early weeks are so hard. My DH is on leave and gets up for feeds too. I tried feeding two at once in the beginning but it ended up taking the same amount of time, just less crying if all babies were hungry at the same time. It's getting better now. We generally feed one after another, and I pump. Got it down to about an hour. During the day I sometimes feed two at once in their bouncy chairs.
    Me: 33 DH: 36 Unexplained IF
    First pregnancy - DS 01-Apr-09;
    3rd cycle Clomid/IUI after 2 years TTC
    TTC #2 since ~June 2010
    IUI #1 & 2 - Clomid/IUI - BFN
    IUI #3 &4 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFN
    IUI #5 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFP!!
    EDD: March 22, 2013
    It's triplets!!

• We used bouncers to tandem bottle feed. You could also use RNPs MOTN, I would guess.

• When mine were that little, I sat on the couch with a boppy around me, then put one on each side and fed them at the same time.  As they got older, I transitioned to using a boppy for each baby and sat on the floor.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I used Podee's to help with this when they were older.  But when they are this small, use bouncy chairs or 2 boppy pillows and sit in the middle to feed both at the same time.
  • Great ideas, thank you!
    I tried the bouncy seats today and failed miserably with all of us covered in spit up! Perhaps in a few more weeks I will try again!!

BabyFruit Ticker  image
  • Around 8 weeks (5 adjusted) it started to work much better for us to tandem bottle feed. I still nurse in the MTTN but use one rock and play and one bouncy chair during the day. I tried around 3 weeks and it was a mess like you described! 
  • I use two boppies sometimes.  My most comfortable/go-to position - I put my feet up on the ottoman with one on my thighs and use pillows on the couch to prop the other twin up next to me and bottle feed both.  Burping in between is challenging but doable.  Good luck!

• I could never do it, usually it ended up taking just as long since it ended up in a mess and tears for everyone, but I will agree with others, it gets a lot easier. At almost 6 months, I can change and feed them both in about 30 minutes, and its about 15 minutes with a second set of hands. 
    ********************************************************************************************
    Married my best friend, June 8, 2008

5/17/13 BFP!!! 6/6/13 - OMG its TWINS!

Josie and Lexie were born on January 4, 2014 at 37w2d
    Josie was 5lbs2oz, Lexie was 4lbs15oz 
    Both had a 9 APGAR score with no NICU time
    Planned unscheduled C-Section due to both being breech
    We all went home on Jan 6th, 2 days after surgery

My popular blog posts:

imageimage

imageimage
  • When they where little we did double feeding in the twin z pillow. It took getting used to but it's way faster then feeding one at a time . My DH sometimes fed them both in the rock and plays but I found that awkward.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"