Special Needs
Options

When to start potty training/introducing?

DS1 just turned 4.  He has been walking for a few months and has 0 words and signs.  Just recently he has started hiding when he has to poop which I know is one of the first readyness signs. Our physiatrist brought it up a few months ago and it felt like a waste then.  He had JUST started walking and had no desire to sit still for a moment.  There was a whole world to explore.

He struggles with communication, right now all he can do is lead us or hand us what he wants opened, etc.  When it comes to PECS he can't really choose what he wants/needs.  If you present him with bubbles and a blank card he will ALWAYS pick the bubbles. As soon as you enter in a second choice he just reaches with his left hand every time, so I don't think that will be a reliable method anytime soon.

At times his diaper is dry but he doesn't seem to care if he's wet or dirty.

I don't want to wait too long but developmentally he's about 15-18 months old.  I also don't want to push to hard too quickly either.

For some reason this is one of those things that seems so daunting.
To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew

Re: When to start potty training/introducing?

• Options
    I understand your feelings. I had it in my mind that potty training would be so difficult because DS didn't seem to mind diapers. Shortly after he turned 4, I decided to bite the bullet and try. We took away his diapers completely, and started taking him to the toilet every 2 hours (it was Thanksgiving break). If he wet his pants, I just put him the potty and said pee goes in the potty. We used a chart and every time he used the potty he got a sticker and a small present (I had a bag of small rubbery dinosaurs and gave him one each time).
  • Options
    Why not try just sitting him on the potty at times he's likely to go or that you will want him to go (after meals, before nap/bedtime).
    If he goes have a reward for him and reinforce that going in the potty is a good thing.
    This will be an opportunity to get him comfortable with sitting on the potty and introducing the idea that it is good to go in the potty with no pressure or agenda.

Then once he has a reliable mode of communication or is a little older developmentally you can decide if it's the right time to try PTing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are starting on Friday.  Not for any reason other than we have to do it eventually and I'd like to try PTing DS2 within the next 6 months and I can't see doing that when DS1 is still in diapers.  I think it's possible that DS1 could be ready, but I am not sure.  He has been in ABA full-time since January and I generally trust their judgment and they think it's time.  We've never really tried before.  He sometimes tells us when he has #2, and he sometimes lies about it, both ways. *sigh*  At ABA he sometimes tells them he needs a diaper change for wet only as well, but I don't think he's done it at home too many times.  But they are going to start on it at ABA during the day and then they are coming home with us that night to help.  Then they are coming back at the crack of dawn the next day to help some more.  The reward is going to be tough.  What he likes (material things) changes all the time, and we can't use food (he barely eats).  His favorite thing (non-material) is 1-2-3-go.  Swing him back and forth and then drop him (gently) on the couch.  Maybe we could do bubbles inside.  He likes bubbles but I would only do them inside (briefly) for something monumental (like potty).  Otherwise bubbles is an outside thing. 

• Options
    greyt00 said:
    We are starting on Friday.  Not for any reason other than we have to do it eventually and I'd like to try PTing DS2 within the next 6 months and I can't see doing that when DS1 is still in diapers.  I think it's possible that DS1 could be ready, but I am not sure.  He has been in ABA full-time since January and I generally trust their judgment and they think it's time.  We've never really tried before.  He sometimes tells us when he has #2, and he sometimes lies about it, both ways. *sigh*  At ABA he sometimes tells them he needs a diaper change for wet only as well, but I don't think he's done it at home too many times.  But they are going to start on it at ABA during the day and then they are coming home with us that night to help.  Then they are coming back at the crack of dawn the next day to help some more.  The reward is going to be tough.  What he likes (material things) changes all the time, and we can't use food (he barely eats).  His favorite thing (non-material) is 1-2-3-go.  Swing him back and forth and then drop him (gently) on the couch.  Maybe we could do bubbles inside.  He likes bubbles but I would only do them inside (briefly) for something monumental (like potty).  Otherwise bubbles is an outside thing. 
    I think we're going to use bubbles.  He loves food, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.  I have no idea where his cognitive level is and I dont' want to mess with the "I'm hungry I need food" thing.  I think if we start giving it as a reward he's going to get confused.  He also hates the usual "treats", m&m's, etc.  
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    greyt00greyt00 member
    edited June 2014
    Bubbles sounds good and that's what I want to do but I need to talk to DH.  

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to mix anything else up with food.  Mom knows best.  I devised a medicine program for DS1 and I had to tell the BCBA not to incorporate it into his feeding program, not to do it anywhere NEAR the feeding program.  Not the same time or the same place.  *sigh*  I thought that would be obvious. 

This reminds me, I want to try giving DS2 some M&Ms or something so I can come up with a treat for PTing down the line.  He's picky but not "therapy picky" I hope.  That's my term.  ;-P  At least he loves to eat.  Asks for more food while his mouth is still stuffed.... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"