Multiples

Infertility Treatments: IUI and protocol question!

Hi everyone! I am not expecting yet, but we are about to start a relatively aggressive IUI cycle as I was dx with DOR last week at the age of 26. I was curious if anyone here had a similar protocol and ended up pregnant with twins. 
I will be starting letrozole on day 2, and take 2.5mg for 5 days. On day 3 they are adding in 150iu of bravelle, and then we will do IUI after I trigger. We are obviously trying to prepare ourselves mentally for any pregnancy, but especially for the possibility of twins. I am trying to find more info on multiples rates, but havent been able to find much. Thanks in advance! 
.Became a mama to my sweet little boy after 3 years of waiting and praying in October '12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarried twins from our first IUI cycle. D&C on August 14th, 2014
Second IUI cycle: BFP
Beta #1 (13dpiui): 74 Beta #2 (16dpiui): 505 Beta #3 (18dpiui): 1205
First Ultrasound- 6w2d 110BPM! Our baby has a heartbeat!!
BabyFruit Ticker
imageimage

Re: Infertility Treatments: IUI and protocol question!

• I don't know about "rates" per se, but It is always a possibility if you have multiple mature follicles on an IUI. You'll have a better idea of how many mature follicles you have once you have the final ultrasound before trigger. One time I did a similar iui cycle with letrozole and menopur.. I think I had 2 mature follicles, but unfortunately it did not work for us (we didn't know at the time that I had egg quality issues). Good luck!!
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't know about "rates" per se, but It is always a possibility if you have multiple mature follicles on an IUI. You'll have a better idea of how many mature follicles you have once you have the final ultrasound before trigger. One time I did a similar iui cycle with letrozole and menopur.. I think I had 2 mature follicles, but unfortunately it did not work for us (we didn't know at the time that I had egg quality issues). Good luck!!
    Thanks for replying! That is so true, we had 4 follicles with the follistim IUI cycle that gave us our son, but my e2 was less than 300 so likely only 1 had a good mature egg. After finding out about the DOR I wont lie, I would be SO happy with twins. Obviously we would want to avoid high order multiples for safety reasons. 
    .Became a mama to my sweet little boy after 3 years of waiting and praying in October '12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with pp. Just remember even then it can be difficult to gauge by mature follicles. I had three mature follicles during a clomid cycle and that gave us DS1. This time we thought there were two mature follicles, and the third looked like it was lagging behind. And we wound up with triplets.

Best of luck to you!
    Me: 33 DH: 36 Unexplained IF
    First pregnancy - DS 01-Apr-09;
    3rd cycle Clomid/IUI after 2 years TTC
    TTC #2 since ~June 2010
    IUI #1 & 2 - Clomid/IUI - BFN
    IUI #3 &4 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFN
    IUI #5 - Gonal-F/Ovidrel and IUI -- BFP!!
    EDD: March 22, 2013
    It's triplets!!

• I agree with pp. Just remember even then it can be difficult to gauge by mature follicles. I had three mature follicles during a clomid cycle and that gave us DS1. This time we thought there were two mature follicles, and the third looked like it was lagging behind. And we wound up with triplets. Best of luck to you!
    Oh wow. Congratulations!!
    I have been out the game for so long I have forgotten the reality of treatment (pregnancy probability as well as multiples risk)... 

I appreciate the responses I have gotten! Thanks! 

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • We did not have success with our IUI cycles (different diagnosis than you though), but I have to say the stats that I read seemed like it was kind of all over the place depending on a number of factors.

I would just prepare myself for the chance of multiples, but not expect them.

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I didn't have an IUI, but took femara 2.5 mg and had 1 follicle at trigger- I'm 25 weeks pregnant with didi twins.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm an over-responder, but here was our magic potion :)

We skipped the Letrozole bc I over-responded previously. So I only took 100 iu of Follistim for 6 days. I had three mature follies w/ one close. We are MFI though, low count & morph. We only had 4.2 mil motile sperm washed at IUI (36 hours after trigger). I had my BFP on 12 pdiui and found out last week, we are having twins!

****siggy warning****

Me 29/ DH 28
    DH- MFI (low count, 2-3% morph)

IUI #1 January - Clomid, Ovidrel: BFN
    IUI #2 February - Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel: BFP 1st beta-25, 2nd beta-56, 3rd beta-45, miscarriage
    IUI #3 April - CD3 U/S 4-10. Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel CD11 - Cancelled.. TI w/5 follicles-BFN
    IUI #3.1 May - CD3 U/S 5-6, Follistim start 5-11 thru 5-17, u/s 5-18 3 mature w/ a close 4th, IUI 5-20 - BFP!
                 Beta #1 12dpo - 164 & progesterone - 89!, Beta #2 16 dpo - 1189, 5w3d - u/s shows TWINS!
                 6/19- u/s showed heartbeats! Baby A 111 & Baby B 118, both measuring 6w1d
                 7/3- Baby A hb 170, Baby B hb 166 - both measuring perfect.
                 7/18 - Baby A 165, Baby B 171 - both measuring right on track & moving all around!

Pregnancy Ticker

• JenyB6JenyB6 member
    I had IUI with injectables with both of my sons. First time I had 2 mature follicles and 2 more that could catch up. Only one took. My second pregnancy resulted in a hetrotopic pregnancy (meaning I had one implant in the uterus and the other in my follopian tube) had 2 mature again and 2 more that could catch up. I had to have my fallopian tube removed and wait 2 wks to see if the baby in my uterus would survive. A 1 in 30,000 chance they gave me up he did and is 3.5yrs. This time we did IVF to reduce the risk of another hetrotopic pregnancy and transfered 2 we got twins this time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We conceived our twins thanks to IUI. At the time of trigger, I only had one follicle that was a 16 and three between 13-14. I was convinced that we barely had a shot at one, since every other cycle I was told to trigger when my lead follicle was 18+. Sure enough, twins! So, it's really about the follicles, but don't write any of them off, even if they're not quite full size.
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

• We were told roughly a 20% chance of multiples via injectables+IUI via our RE. Not sure if that was based on results within their practice or more broadly, but that was the rule of thumb they gave us as we assessed options.

I honestly do not know exactly how many mature follicles I had at that point -- it was our 8th round of IF treatments, 3rd round of injectables, and it had all become a blur!

The cocktail that worked for me was Bravelle + Menopur -- it took a round or two to get to that (the first cycle lasted FOREVER to get to that point -- 7 u/s!)
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"