School-Aged Children
Options

Working Moms and Summer

If you work, what do you do with your kids during the summer?  Camps?  If so, what camp(s)?  Daycare?  Vacation?
High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Working Moms and Summer

• Options

Some of my working mom friends have signed their kids up to camps at The Boys and Girls Club of America. Otherwise if you have a community recreation center sometimes they will have day camps.  Check out your local golf courses sometimes they have kid day camps that teach them to play golf.

• Options
    neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited May 2014
    Because I also have summer vacation off, I don't have to find camps or daycare for my kids.  I always work one week later than they do in June, and they usually go to a swimming/diving camp.  I have to go in one week earlier than they do in August, and I usually farm them out to family members for that week.

My H isn't working now, so they won't be going to camp in June this year.  They'll be hanging at the pool with Dad!  Of course, I want my H to get a new job soon, but I have to confess that I'm looking forward to the possibility that we'll all be home during the summer.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our local Boys & Girls club has an amazing program during the summer. You can sign up by week (full time, M-W-F, or T-TH) and they have themes each week. They're at the center one day each week and out on field trips the other 4 days - almost like a camp but it is all day whereas most camps we have are 9-4 or shorter.

We are doing that for most weeks this summer, are on vacation for one week, then chose 2 weeks when the kids could choose a different camp they really wanted to go to (one chose Campfire and Pottery camp, the other Soccer and Nature Camp). Both H and I have somewhat flexible schedules so on those weeks we'll juggle care when camp gets out as well as trade off with friends whose kids are also doing the camps.

It's a little stressful because around here you need to plan for this in March! That is when camps start opening, and Boys & Girls Club has sign up (and fills up) the first week in April (had to get in line at 5:00am to get a spot). I'm not usually ready to start planning our summer in March!

• Options
    Summer School for the first month they are off. 
  • Options
    ss+elss+el member
    MrsLee04 said:
    There are some other interesting camps in our area, but they are very expensive and a lot of them are only like half day.  Doesn't work with 2 full time working parents. 
    That's what it's like where I live. Even the "all day" ones really aren't. I just lost my job, so I am going to try to remain off work all summer, but it's already frustrating me thinking about what we're going to do next summer.
  • Options
    ss+el said:
    MrsLee04 said:
    There are some other interesting camps in our area, but they are very expensive and a lot of them are only like half day.  Doesn't work with 2 full time working parents. 
    That's what it's like where I live. Even the "all day" ones really aren't. I just lost my job, so I am going to try to remain off work all summer, but it's already frustrating me thinking about what we're going to do next summer.
    Seriously.  The camp my kids go to for the week when I'm in school is 8:30 to 4:30, with aftercare until 6... for an extra fee.  My working hours are 7:45 to 3:45, so unless I get someone else to drop them off, I'm getting in late all that week.  Fortunately, I can do this because my students are gone and it's just meetings/planning.  AND... the camp is pretty expensive.  It's a great camp, but it costs me an absurdly high % of what I make as a teacher!!  There's no way I could do it for the whole summer.

• Options
    For the summer after kindergarten, DS will go back to his daycare/preschool. After first grade and beyond, probably a hodge podge of camps.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options

For DD who is 2-1/2, she will remain in daycare.

For DS who just finished kindergarten, it will be a combination of things.  Bulk of the time will be spent at an all-day camp run through the county parks and rec program...cheap and lots of activities. Also sending him to my sister's house in NJ for two weeks in August and she is going to take him to swim camp.  The sprinkling of other days will be vacation days and a few days at my DD's daycare.  

Like PP said, we had to book everything early - March/April time frame.  And these things fill up fast! Can't imagine what it is going to be like when both kids are in school!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a teacher.  Although they do attend some camps and activities while I go to professional development.  They also spend a week at Camp Grammie and sometimes a week with another grandma...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"