School-Aged Children

Best place for backpack/lunch box

Hi, my DD starts kindergarten in the Fall. Where is the best place to get a backpack and lunchbox? She has a PBK lunch box from preschool but it is too small. Her school says backpack must be big enough to hold a manilla folder plus change of clothes, lunch box. Tia!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Best place for backpack/lunch box

• ss+elss+el member
    We got DS' from Toys R Us, of all places. They run a promo every year at BTS time where you get a lunch kit free with purchase of backpack, most of which are about $14.99, mix n' match from the whole selection, I believe. Granted, some of the character backpacks are just plasticky junk, but I was able to convince DS that the sturdy cloth spiderweb pattern one he got was a real Spiderman one, and let him get a themed rectangle fabric lunchbox. The backpack has held up amazingly well, and the lunch box is a little grungy on the outside, but should last at least another school year.
  • My favorite, but pricey, is LLBean for both backpacks & lunchboxes. My son's backpack from LLBean lasted 4 years. 

I only use the lunchboxes for one year even though they are still useable.   I always buy this style lunchbox and it has plenty of room and then in the top it has a netted compartment that you can put their drink and ice pack in.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70685?feat=lunch boxes-SR0&page=flip-top-lunch-box-print

My second choice would be Lands'End.

• Loading the player...
  • ppantsppants member
    Our K backpacks had to be clear plastic so it was limiting.  My kids now have ones from PBK and they'll use them again this year.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • @littlemermaid‌ is the ll bean original backpack jr big enough for kindie? I need it to hold a folder, lunchbox, change of clothes.

• Toys R Us always has a deal for a free lunch box when you buy a backpack.

We bought some last year and they both held up very well.

• @littlemermaid‌ is the ll bean original backpack jr big enough for kindie? I need it to hold a folder, lunchbox, change of clothes.
    For Kindergarten it should be plenty big since Kindergartners  aren't bringing home a stack of textbooks.  I always bought my kids a backpack that was slightly larger than they would need so they could use it the following year.
  • neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited June 2014
    My son had a Land's End (Sears) backpack and lunchbox that lasted from K through 3rd.  The zipper broke about 2 weeks before school ended.  They have pretty cool patterns and lots of just plain colors, if you're not into anything too flashy.  It was a great backpack for primary grades.

My DD currently has one from LLBean that has lasted for 3 years and is still going strong, despite the fact that she carries a ton of books and a huge accordion folder in it every day.  It was more expensive than my son's from LE, but it is a step up in terms of size and construction.

In elementary school we had mixed luck with Jansport brand from Target.  My DD had one that didn't even make it a year, but another one that lasted for 3 years -- go figure!

ETA re: backpack size -- do not buy a "Junior" sized backpack for kid in elementary school.  Even a kindy kid needs a normal sized backpack. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Spin313 said:
    Toys R Us always has a deal for a free lunch box when you buy a backpack. We bought some last year and they both held up very well.
    This.  We also got them at Target.  We went through two lunchboxes and three backpacks this year so we will buy multiples of each when they are on sale and put them away.  They always seem to break at the most inopportune time.
  • ss+elss+el member
    Also, I love these boxes from Ziploc: https://www.walmart.com/ip/24031790
    They are less than $3 for two of them in stores and fit perfectly in his rectangle soft-sided case and still had room for ice packs (outside the box, though most of his lunches didn't need one)

• I've bought from the Disney Store, TCP, PBK, & Justice.  I have never had a problem with a backpack or lunch box.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LL Bean--they last forever
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • llbean. they have many options for sizes, colors, personalization and last a long time.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I purchased one from Garnet Hill in Kindergarten. It's survived 3 years! And it came with a free lunchbox ;)

Great quality at a great price!

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"