Stay at Home Moms
Options

UO

Re: UO

• Options
    letranger said:

Although I agree restaurants should pay serving staff more.

They Don't. So wtf stiff them of a good hard earned tip.

I guess I resent that servers these days feel they are entitled to 20% tip just because they showed up to work. Not because they made an effort to provide a customer with good experience.
  • Options
    olga1311 said:
    @Andrewsgal‌ So the question is where does this stop? If 5-7 years ago the standard was 10% now it's 20% , are we gonna have to be paying 30-40% in ten years on top of our meal prices? It does not seem reasonable to me. Deleted quotes or it's way too long

The standard was never ever 10% it hasn't gone up you were just ignorant before. I have been eating out and paying my own bill for 20 years and in that time is has always been 20% so I very seriously doubt it will double.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    KC_13 said:
    I'm at a loss where you get service so subpar it warrants 10%. dennys perhaps? I'm team tip based on service. I'm not giving some rude college kid 20% who brought me cold food because she was too busy flirting with guys at the bar but its rare i get service so subpar it warrants a lousy tip. I'm guessing if you know servers that average 10% they're not actually good.
    Hey now, don't start knocking Denny's. They make a mean grilled cheese.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    olga1311 said:
    Although I agree restaurants should pay serving staff more. They Don't. So wtf stiff them of a good hard earned tip.
    I guess I resent that servers these days feel they are entitled to 20% tip just because they showed up to work. Not because they made an effort to provide a customer with good experience.

well then if you resent it eat at home. If you eat out pay 20%. Simple enough?
  • Options
    olga1311 said:
    Although I agree restaurants should pay serving staff more. They Don't. So wtf stiff them of a good hard earned tip.
    It's not called entitlement to want a good tip for doing a good job. You said you rarely tip 15% for good service. That is the bare minimum almost everywhere. 25% is for good service. How do you not see that?
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    olga1311 said:

well then if you resent it eat at home. If you eat out pay 20%. Simple enough?
    I agree, it's always been 20%.  If they are a sucky waiter - no refills, pay barely any attention to you and bring you the wrong things or nothing at all, then I do 10%
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    olga1311 said:

letranger said:

Although I agree restaurants should pay serving staff more.

They Don't. So wtf stiff them of a good hard earned tip.

I can really count on one hand the number of times I've had a subpar experience that was due to the server. maybe if you start frequenting decent restaurants you will find its the exception not the rule.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Aussie45 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    olga1311 said:
    What are you looking for, a juggling act and back flips? If they're pleasant and get your food to you in a timely manner, they've done their job.
    I don't know about you guys, but in order for my servers to get 20% they must serenade me with a rose between their teeth. /sarcasm
    I expect a neck massage for me and a blow job for my husband.
    That would constitute 25%, no? Well, if it takes care of my husband for the night....#worth
  • Options
    I have seriously never ever tipped under 20%. Hell I have tipped up to 50%.
  • Options
    20% also goes for  hair stylists, manis and pedis, massages and facials.  It's just common sense to me.  I even tip the guy that delivers my food last weekend when we were too lazy to go out to eat.  He looked at me like he never gets 20% and was very appreciative.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DC2London said:
    I don't like seeing kids glued to phones or iPads when out with their families, but I see a huge difference between a 3 year old doing it and an 11 year old doing it.
    I don't see it often, but I have on occasion. There is a big difference between a 3 yr old and 11yr old. I don't mind it being a distraction tool until the food comes out, but FFS does he still need to be playing game when the food is there? That's when it becomes a little ridiculous.
  • Options
    feffy11 said:

Obviously @olga1311‌ you are getting a bad enough flaming, but omg servers are PEOPLE. Why are you choosing to stay ignorant this? You sound like an old "I don't want to, I don't have to" fart.

Sneeze muffin for you

I do . It's UO for sure. Hopefully we will all eventually move on from it to other posts . Made for a long (so far) UO thread.
  • Options
    Disneygeek77Disneygeek77 member
    edited June 2014
    olga1311 said:
    @Andrewsgal‌ So the question is where does this stop? If 5-7 years ago the standard was 10% now it's 20% , are we gonna have to be paying 30-40% in ten years on top of our meal prices? It does not seem reasonable to me. Deleted quotes or it's way too long
    What? No. No. No. No no no. (Michael Bluth)

Oh honey, no that has never been the case.  Who told you that ?  My God even as a teenager ( 20 years ago) I knew the polite and considerate thing to do is tip 20%.  

BTW, I HAD a friend that tipped like you and my other friend and I got tired of going out with her.  It was embarassing and we felt obligated to make up the difference.  We don't hang out with her anymore.  
  • Options
    Gastro said:

Your picture is probably taped up in the back and they pull straws for who has to serve you. Try a decent tip - you might start to get better service.

I didn't see much difference in service even when my husband tipped 20%-25%
  • Options
    FTR I was at a restaurant the other day with my whole extended family. I was texting my niece and she me throughout the whole meal we were on opposite sides of the table. She is pretty much the coolest fucking kid ever. So it was my fault she was on her phone, but we were communicating. Special snowflake here. Just kidding. I mean it really did happen and she is an amazing kid, but I don't feel bad and I don't care if people were judging us.
  • Options
    olga1311 said:
    Your picture is probably taped up in the back and they pull straws for who has to serve you. Try a decent tip - you might start to get better service.
    I can't imagine that if your husband tips 20-25% that he would be ok with you tipping 10%.
  • Options
    I get what you all are saying. I truly thought 10% was a minimum standard. At least that's in my circles what most ppl tip/used to tip (cheapo friends OMG) . I will try to tip more ;)
  • Options
    Aussie45 said:

olga1311 said:

Gastro said:

I can't imagine that if your husband tips 20-25% that he would be ok with you tipping 10%.

He tips 20-25% in a really fancy restaurant usually. He usually tips 15-%
  • Options
    cjcouple said:
    The thing is, it's a snap shot that you are seeing of their day. I really try not to judge in a restaurant.  The disruptive kids are the ones my eye wanders too. Even then, I have no idea what those parents are facing.  
    My brothers (7 & 11) are the ones that I'm mainly talking about (with the exception of the kid who ate at dinner with the ipad out). It's annoying to me in general to see phone and tablets out, but I know the situation with my brothers. I know that they don't need their phone out at dinner or TV in the car to go down to my grandparents. They rarely even spend time with my grandparents, because god forbid they be away from the computer for too long. It's just ridiculous that they don't want to spend time with my grandparents because they cannot detach from technology.

I know that what I see from other is only a snapshot. I'm not judging, just in general hating on how dependent we as a society have become on our technology (myself included).
  • Options
    amy052006 said:

I have a hard time buying that anyplace where 10% tipping is the norm has fancy resturants.

I thought we established that 10% is not the norm it only what I thought was the bare minimum norm?

• Options
    I don't get all the complicated formulas of 15%, 17%, etc.  Take the first digit or two of the bill.  Round it up, double it, and make sure you have the right number of zeroes on it.  TA DA!  Tip done.
    DD - 12/31/13
  • Options
    feffy11 said:

olga1311 said:

feffy11 said:

Obviously @olga1311‌ you are getting a bad enough flaming, but omg servers are PEOPLE. Why are you choosing to stay ignorant this? You sound like an old "I don't want to, I don't have to" fart.

Sneeze muffin for you

I do . It's UO for sure. Hopefully we will all eventually move on from it to other posts . Made for a long (so far) UO thread.
    And consistently tipping 10% is not a matter of opinion, unpopular or not.
    It's FFC then I guess.

• Options
    olga1311 said:

I get what you all are saying. I truly thought 10% was a minimum standard. At least that's in my circles what most ppl tip/used to tip (cheapo friends OMG) . I will try to tip more ;)

No olga, don't give up that easily, dig your heels in deeper.

Sniff sniff - that unity horse was so close I almost got to pet it

:((
  • Options
    amy052006 said:
    I have a hard time buying that anyplace where 10% tipping is the norm has fancy resturants.

I think we have different definitions of nice. DH and I with the kids and a couple of drinks can rack up a 100$ check at chilis.
  • Options

olga1311 said:

Lol!! The unity horse AND the unicorn
  • Options

olga1311 said:

olga1311 said:

Lol!! The unity horse AND the unicorn

Not related:  DD put her spoon on her head at breakfast and called herself a "spoon-icorn".  I died.

This is sooooo cute!! They come up with the best things :)))
  • Options

cjcouple said:
    That is way more than just tablets at the dinner table issue.
    I know. That's why I said in another post that I may be projecting my annoyance from my dad (and in general my family) on others.
  • Options
    jensriotjensriot member
    edited June 2014
    amy052006 said:
    I am trying to imagine tipping $10 on a $100 dinner bill.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and assume someone too cheap to tip would be way too cheap for a $100 meal. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Also, what restaurants are we talking about here? I tip the same no matter the restaurant, but I can see people rationalizing cheap tips at cheap chain restaurants. Again, not something I would do, but I can see it. The worst part about that is that the difference between 10% and 15% is so small, that you have to be truly cheap and selfish to not do 15%. Really, those few extra dollars usually mean so much more to the server than they do to you.

Now I'm off to read the rest of this thread.

Eta: 20% is minimum for me, 15% makes you not a total jerk, anything less is just mean

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    Aussie45 said:
    KateMW said:
    I don't understand shorts below the knee...where do you get them? Are the floral and made of bathing suit material? Those are the only below knee shorts my husband can wear....and I prefer shorty bathing suits too. Short people need short shorts, men and women. Nothing looks more stupid than a short person in too long shorts.
    Could the same be said for tall people in too short shorts?
    No. :)
  • Options
    KateMW said:
    Aussie45 said:
    KateMW said:
    I don't understand shorts below the knee...where do you get them? Are the floral and made of bathing suit material? Those are the only below knee shorts my husband can wear....and I prefer shorty bathing suits too. Short people need short shorts, men and women. Nothing looks more stupid than a short person in too long shorts.
    Could the same be said for tall people in too short shorts?
    No. :)

oh Kate yes trust me my long legged 6'6" husband lots ridiculous in short shorts.
  • Options

The conversation happened years ago when we all were students. The standard might have changed and I didn't keep up with it or something.
    Yeah, you might want to fire up your time machine.
    Legit LOL at this.
    olga1311 said:
    5-7 years ago 15%-20% was the standard...still is. God, are you really this stupid?
  • Options
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    Aussie45 said:
    Mrs.Hizzo said:
    olga1311 said:
    What are you looking for, a juggling act and back flips? If they're pleasant and get your food to you in a timely manner, they've done their job.
    I don't know about you guys, but in order for my servers to get 20% they must serenade me with a rose between their teeth. /sarcasm
    I expect a neck massage for me and a blow job for my husband.
    That would get at LEAST 25% in the KateMW household...big spenders that we are.
  • Options
    olga1311 said:
    Bullshit.
  • Options
    olga1311olga1311 member
    edited June 2014
    KateMW said:

The conversation happened years ago when we all were students. The standard might have changed and I didn't keep up with it or something.

Yeah, you might want to fire up your time machine.

Legit LOL at this.

olga1311 said:

@Andrewsgal‌

So the question is where does this stop? If 5-7 years ago the standard was 10% now it's 20% , are we gonna have to be paying 30-40% in ten years on top of our meal prices? It does not seem reasonable to me.

Deleted quotes or it's way too long

5-7 years ago 15%-20% was the standard...still is. God, are you really this stupid?M

Seriously, name calling? Btw I said I will tip more. Missed that? I could be honestly misinformed but sure go ahead call me names. Might surprise you but I won't loose any sleep at night over what you call me

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"