School-Aged Children

Anyone turn a train table Into a lego table?

We have a big thomas train table that Ds doesn't play with anymore and he is reallllly into Legos and the small square lego table is not cutting it for the cities he wants to build so I thought we might as well make use of that big train table... I see on amazon I could buy some assorted 15 and 10 inch squares and cover almost the whole thing except a couple inches on two sides... wondering of there are any other alternatives to this in larger sizes (is it possible to trim the plates for a better fit?) or good ways to connect the plates without gluing them onto the existing table top? I am not handy and don't really want to make a custom board for it since we don't have the tools to cut our own but I guess I could try that too (not to sound dumb but can you buy a custom cut piece of olywood at lowes or Home Depot?). Thanks!

Re: Anyone turn a train table Into a lego table?

• We have a train table that DS custom-made for my kids.  After the "Thomas" phase, we did use it for Legos and other similar stuff.  

I would consider not attaching the flat Lego panels to the table surface so that the table can be used more flexibly.  There's no real advantage to attaching them, if you think about it, because leaving them loose gives your son more options with his building!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • They have all different size pieces of lego boards. I'm sure you could find some that work. We have the luxury of having a lego discovery center in our city with a store so Ive seen it all. I've also seen Lego stores in shopping malls in other cities. Check your area. they might be of assistance with your project. And yes, Home Depot will cut particle boards for you. I'm not sure about custom shapes or anything but they will cut down to a size you need.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"