Adoption

If you built your family via foster to adopt, did you retain your own attorney?

A fellow foster family has retained their own attorney. He suggested I do the same. While I did make an appointment for a consultation a few weeks from now, I am not entirely sure now is the time to retain an attorney. For starters, we are not financially prepared to take on what could be thousands of dollars of legal fees. . Reunification is always the goal for 1st year of foster care. I would like to hear if anyone else has made that decision.
I always wanted to be a mom, I just didn't know how I would get there.

Re: If you built your family via foster to adopt, did you retain your own attorney?

• In Wisconsin reunification is usually the primary goal, regardless of how many years the child is in the system.  There are placement hearings every six months and really, as a foster parent it doesn't sound as though we have many/ any rights.  We are there just to report on the facts...how the child is progressing, good/ bad behaviors of the birth parents.

We have no intention of hiring an attorney based on these circumstances.  However, if something were to happen with a placement where there was a specific circumstance that we felt needed representation, we would consider an attorney who specializes in these matters.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Where I worked our parents would retain an attorney for the actual adoption process and DSS would reimburse them for the fees after finalization.  Our parents did not have representation throughout the placement, there was nothing they would need representation for.  
  • He feels he can fight the reunification. I tried explaining to him he has no grounds. BM is not doing anything illegal, she is just not as productive or diligent in her parenting skills.
  • And I cancelled our appointment. Attorney agreed that we have no rights/cause of action at this time.
  • We haven't done it yet, but one of our biggest fears is having to reunify a child into a home that we don't believe is in the best interest of the child. I'm not sure how we'll ever deal with that.  It's hard enough to say goodbye to a little one when you know the parents have been trying hard to become a better parent. 

I wish your friend the best, and maybe he can stay in touch with his foster to be a mentor in their life? 

• It can be very confusing, and you have to speak with a trustworthy source to learn the laws in your state. We are in TX where foster parents have standing at a year and can retain an atty to join the suit and request permanent placement/adoption. We almost got there with my current FS. He's almost 11 months but a relative recently got approved so there's nothing we can do and he will be leaving us next week. I know several foster parents who have intervened with their own attornies, though and won. It not only varies state to state, but county to county. If I were you, I would find an atty who will give you a free consult just so you can learn the laws where you are so you know. I heard so many different things from so many people, but finally read through my state's family code and spoke with an attorney for confirmation so I would know when we had rights and what exactly it meant.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"