Cloth Diapering
Options

WWYD with a case of apples and tomatoes?

36 pounds of Gala apples and 25 pounds of Roma tomatoes. I want to can them, or preserve them some way.

I want diced tomatoes and spaghetti sauce for sure.

All I can think of is apple butter for the apples. I have a peeler/slicer/corer thingy.
Chad and Fawn

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary

Re: WWYD with a case of apples and tomatoes?

• Options
    The tomatoes end up being 50 cents a pound. Which is good for here! :)
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    Would Roma's work for roasted tomatoes or sundried? I might use those, but do they keep?
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I make tons of crockpot applesauce every year around apple season. I freeze it and defrost it so we can have it all year. I don't see why you couldn't can it! I've never done it, but I know there are recipes for canning your own apple pie filling. I would do the same thing you're already doing if I had that many Roma tomatoes coming my way. Those are my favorite!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    My mom always cut and froze apples for pie. And I second apple sauce.
  • Options
    Homemade applesauce is soo much better than store bought!  And I have been thinking about making my own spaghetti sauce...just don't know how.
  • Options
    I haven't tried this yet,  but I've read that if you freeze tomatoes whole, you can easily peel the skin off by running them under warm water when you're ready to use them.  That would be a good back up plan if you run out of energy prepping everything ;)
  • Options
    It was so many years ago, I think she may have done a lemon water bath as she peeled them. Maple might have better suggestions.
  • Options
    I've had good results with Mario Batal's basic tomato sauce recipe, which you can then add anything to it to make interesting. I would imagine you could easily substitute fresh tomatoes for canned. I've been thinking to make a big batch of it to freeze, which will save a few steps for dinners during the week.
  • Options
    TJ1979TJ1979 member
    Tomato soup!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I love homemade tomato soup. That's why I want to can diced tomatoes. :)
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    Don't forget salsa! 
  • Options
    How about drying some of the apples for portable diaper bag snacks?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Options
    I'm thinking we are going to skip the apples. We don't use applesauce and not much jam.

My mom found a spaghetti sauce recipe for 25 pounds of Roma tomatoes and it only makes 9 quarts.... it's going to cost me more to make it than to just buy it. The plus side is it hopefully will taste better and you know what's in it....
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    This is the recipe she found in a quick search.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-canned-spaghetti-sauce
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    @doeie04 I prefer to just can the tomatoes whole, it's easier than making sauce and it is more versatile later on when you're using them. Although, it is nice to just pop open a can of sauce and dump it on some pasta-- voila! gourmet dinner in 10 minutes!  
  • Options
    Exactly!! I'm lazy and need easy. Haha
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm not much of a canner (I need to learn), but I really like to freeze apple products e.g. applesauce, pie filling, preassembled apple crisp, preassembled apple pies.  Good luck!
    Baby Boy Due 1.25.14
  • Options
    CLLDLLCLLDLL member

I haven't tried this yet,  but I've read that if you freeze tomatoes whole, you can easily peel the skin off by running them under warm water when you're ready to use them.  That would be a good back up plan if you run out of energy prepping everything ;)

This would make me SO happy. I love just tossing stuff in the freezer. Not a fan of prep work.
    This totally works. My co-worker tried it a couple years ago because she had to go OOT unexpectedly when she had just picked a bunch of tomatoes. Even better if you are wanting juice, just thaw them and the juice separates from the rest of the tomato.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    You can also dehydrate them, dry apples are a great snaks for babies while they are teething, and the tomatoes are great for tomato pates.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How about adding ground beef/sausage to the spaghetti sauce? Anyone know if there are certain things you have to do?
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    @doeie04‌ if you are going to add meat you'll need to use a pressure canner to safely preserve the sauce.
  • Options
    Thanks! I found that in my research. Do I need to add anything special to make sure the acidity is okay? I didn't find anything in my research that indicated I do.
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    wrightpalomowrightpalomo member
    edited June 2014
    You'll need to strictly follow a tested recipe for anything involving meats. You want to use a tested recipe so that the density of the food allows the heat of the pressure canner to heat everything inside the jars. Acidity is not so much the issue as is the thorough heating (you'll cook the food in the jars until you kill the spores that cause botulism). For example, you cannot safely pressure can pumpkin at home because it is too dense to be completely heated in a home pressure canner. I haven't been adventurous enough to can any meat at home but my mom used to do her own tuna, beef stew, meat sauce, etc. 

ETA: Tested means tested by a reliable source that follows the USDA home canning guidelines. Don't use an outdated recipe because the guidelines have been updated and botulism is no joke... did you East of Eden?... you don't wanna eff around with canning safety :)
  • Options
    Didn't know that about pumpkin! :)

Can I adjust spices to taste?
    Chad and Fawn

Anniversary

• Options
    I believe so, but I wouldn't go tinkering with too much. Here's a link to a great Canning 101 from Food in Jars she explains everything really well and has some intro to canning recipes to get you started!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"