Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Talk to me about Pediatric Dentistry

DS is nearly 2.5 and he hates brushing his teeth. He won't do more than chew on his toothbrush with a little toothpaste on it and he won't let me even remotely close to him with a toothbrush. I have to pin him down or wrap a towel around his body pinning his arms to his sides and force his mouth open in order to brush his teeth and he flails and screams the entire time. He has managed to get a couple cavities that I can see and I know I need to get him into a dentist but I find myself having quite a bit of anxiety about the idea of a stranger digging around in his mouth when he so badly hates it when I try to do it. I'm thinking if I have an idea of what to expect when we go in I may be able to relax a little about it. What experiences have you had with LO and dentists?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Talk to me about Pediatric Dentistry

• Options
    DS1 started going to the dentist around 2.5.  He goes to a pediatric dentist and they just kind of go with the flow at that age...if the kids are scared, they show them around, let them "play" with the water squirter and air sucker thing.  If they are doing ok after that, they'll sit them up on the chair and give them some stickers and read them a book about the dentist.  If they're still doing ok, they'll ask them to pick a pair of sunglasses (a wide variety from superheroes to princesses) and then lay them down.  They show how the light works and turn it on and off a few times.  They ask them to say "ahhhhh" and if they open up, they try to take a peek in and just count their teeth.  If the child clams up or gets upset, they stop immediately and try to find something "fun" so that they don't leave with a bad experience.  

I want to say it was around 4 that they really started cleaning his teeth with the actual polisher.  Before that, they would just use a kid toothbrush and tiny bit of paste but he was also a kid that was very hesitant and scared.  I've seen some pretty young kids in there having their teeth polished and flossed.  I know that at 5, they polished, flossed and then the dentist used the little pick thing and poked around a bit.  He had been taking a look at earlier appointments but just with his (gloved) fingers.  

If you can see what you think are cavities then I would make an appointment and take him in.  At least start getting him used to the dentist.  You may have to take the tough love approach and just hold him down to brush, also.  Have you tried getting him a fun, electric toothbrush.  DS2 just picked out his new toothbrush and chose Mike & Sulley from Monsters, Inc and gets so excited to brush his teeth now.  Good luck, I'm sure it's frustrating and I hope that he ends up having a great experience with the dentist!
  • Options
    Yep, no further delay on seeing the dentist.  You know (or highly suspect) he has a problem, so there is no room or time for excuses.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, have you tried letting him watch TV or some other screen while you brush? That was the magic bullet for us.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    sep08sep08 member
    I'd suggest looking into books/videos for toddlers about going to the dentist and talking to him about it in advance. When you call the dentist office ask what their process is so you can prepare him for what will happen. Go to a pediatric dentist if you can since they will be used to dealing with squirmy and resistant kids. Our office has a private room that can be used for younger kids/kids who are scared, etc. It has lots of toys in it and they can watch a video while getting their teeth looked at. Maybe plan a fun activity to do after the appointment "after the dentist looks at your teeth, we can go to the playground", etc.

• Options
    EcyEcy member
    I haven't experienced the dentist with DD yet but plan on going soon. I just wanted to say that we started a teeth brusing chart with our DD and that worked great. We also went to the store together and I let her pick out a new electric toothbrush. Before this, my experience with getting her teeth brushed sounded a lot like yours.
  • Options
    I have tried multiple types of brushes and my 22 month old still hates getting her teeth brushed. DH or I hold her down and do it anyway. This is just a phase and eventually it won't be such a battle. DD#1 was the same way, but now she willingly brushes on her own and then let's us brush too. We tell her we have to get all the sugar bugs off so they don't eat her teeth. She's 3 1/2 and still says she sees sugar bugs before she brushed and it's turned into a game.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    dns05dns05 member
    Nicb13 said:

Brushing teeth is so very important and if you've tried everything to get your LO to like it, then at this point you HAVE to hold them down because it HAS to be done.

DS went to the dentist for the first time around 2 and yes, he hated it. They laid him down in my lap, with his head in the dentists lap and they just went for it. They were quick and gentle which is great because DS was miserable like I knew he would be.

Don't delay this OP. Your LO already has cavities so you have to get him in there. Call a pediatric dentist and tell them about your anxiety over this. Don't put this off.

Pretty much this...DD hated getting her teeth brushed at first, and we had no choice but to hold her down.  However, she got used to it, and now we let her "brush" her teeth first, and then we brush them thoroughly afterwards.  She does pretty well now and accepts it has to be done.  I'm glad we made her though.  The pediatric dentist said her teeth look good, and that is what's important.  Good luck.
  • Options
    takmjstakmjs member
    As bad as this sounds, my DD doesn't get to use the iPad until I brush her teeth. It's the only times she uses the iPad during the day, but holy cow, it works like a charm. Our dentist said we don't have to bring them in till 3 years old, and I know my daughter will absolutely not open her mouth or do anything for anyone. She's very leery of strangers in general, so having a doctor/dentist approach her when she doesn't know them is very traumatic for her. I maybe need to look into going to a pediatric dentist like a PP mentioned. It's just a non-negotiable, so whatever it takes to get it done. I hate to say to hold them down and make it a negative experience, but I think it won't always be that way, and they'll hopefully just learn it has to be done, so I might as well just let mom/dad do it.
  • Options
    I have a book from Mercer Mayer's Little Critter series called "Little Critter Goes to the Dentist". We read it a couple times, weeks before his 1 dentist appt. We read it the day of, then once more while inside the office (so I could point to the same instruments from the book, and compare the process of waiting in the front, coming into the back, etc.) all while waiting for the technician to come in. It worked! He watched the tech work on me first so he could see what to expect, (nice of the dentist office to schedule our appointments together since I was overdue for a checkup anyway) then it was his turn and he sat so nicely and still! He got to wear these cool tiger striped kids sunglasses which he thought was awesome. The dentist herself and the nurses were all super nice and patient with him (even when he kept trying to stand next to me while I was getting x-rays (STAND BACK! lol)).
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    emod10emod10 member

I have tried multiple types of brushes and my 22 month old still hates getting her teeth brushed. DH or I hold her down and do it anyway. This is just a phase and eventually it won't be such a battle. DD#1 was the same way, but now she willingly brushes on her own and then let's us brush too. We tell her we have to get all the sugar bugs off so they don't eat her teeth. She's 3 1/2 and still says she sees sugar bugs before she brushed and it's turned into a game.

This is what we do too except we call them toothbugs. We use the floss picks too and make a big deal out of it when we "catch" a toothbug on the floss piece.

He's 2.75 and we started taking him at 1.5. It's never too late to start going.
  • Options
    Many children refuse to brush their teeth and do not like going to the dentist.  Oral hygiene is extremely important and a pediatric dentist can help you come up with ways to make your child more comfortable.  My oldest son did much better with having his teeth cleaned after we started using a child's sonicare electric toothbrush.  You might want to try that and let him do it and then let you try.  I would not wait on getting an appointment scheduled, and remember that they work with scared children all the time and know how to handle the fear!  
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

Brushing teeth is so very important and if you've tried everything to get your LO to like it, then at this point you HAVE to hold them down because it HAS to be done.

DS went to the dentist for the first time around 2 and yes, he hated it. They laid him down in my lap, with his head in the dentists lap and they just went for it. They were quick and gentle which is great because DS was miserable like I knew he would be.

Don't delay this OP. Your LO already has cavities so you have to get him in there. Call a pediatric dentist and tell them about your anxiety over this. Don't put this off.

This totally! Especially if you think he has cavities, you need to get it looked at. I used to be a hygienist at a pediatric dental office and we had a lot of screamers, but we have tricks and we are not you. He might surprise you. Then again he might scream the entire time and have to be held. It is better then the alternative, his teeth rotting out of his mouth, and yes I have seen extreme cases because parents gave into their child because they fought it. Do the best you can and have Dad hold while you brush…. try tricks like sticker charts, and small prizes after 2 days of brushing or something that he is motivated by like a special show after he brushes. As for fixing a cavity it depends how bad it is…. they might just keep an eye on it or if it is really bad they will fix it… we had 2 options… laughing gas and this was highly monitored or once a month we had a pediatric anesthesiologist from Childrens hospital come and help. It needs to be done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"