November 2014 Moms
Options

Has anyone stopped taking their prenatals?

I was just curious as to what moms ideas and reasons to stop taking or continue taking their prenatal vitamins as this point?

Re: Has anyone stopped taking their prenatals?

• Options
    kfo22kfo22 member

Haven't stopped, just looking into a more valuable pill to take after my gummies run out. Since I can stomach pills now. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sometimes I can't take them every day if I'm not feeling well or if they're causing me digestive problems... I'm having the best luck with the Enfamil brand right now
  • Options
    Have you tried New Chapter Perfect Prenatal? I've been taking them with no problems...some of the ingredients (I think Ginger) help to prevent an upset stomach. I even take them on an empty stomach with no issues. The only downside is 3x a day, but it's pretty easy for me to remember with a 2pm alarm on my phone for only the mid-afternoon pill.
  • Options
    Well I've read a lot about many women stopping them after the first trimester. As long as your eating a healthy diet. I'm still taking mine(FYI) I was just wondering what real moms were doing and not what I've read online.
  • Options
    Gummy vitamins? I take a whole foods prenatal, they are absorbed much better and your body can actual utilize them instead of peeing them out. I wouldn't recommend anything but. They're not making me nauseous or anything, and one of the most important things in the prenatal for me is the iron , but I've seen on many other forums women who just think they're not necessary after 12 weeks or so. I was just inquiring as to others thoughts:))
  • Options
    I kept gagging on them when we first started trying--never been a good pill taker.  Once I switched to gummies I was good.

What a bummer for such delicious fruity goodness to make you sick!  I'm sorry to hear that!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I try to remember when I come home from work everyday to take them cuz I don't eat breakfast before I leave and can't take vitamins on an empty stomach...Then I wake up the next morning and go damn I forgot to take them again!!  I've been taking them for a long time too while we were trying to get pregnant...I guess in my head I had more of an incentive to remember..Now I just get mad at myself when I forget... I've never heard of stopping after the 1st trimester though
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• Options
    I took them till I was done BFing, too.  I take it right before bed and they don't bother me at all.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Options

Gummy vitamins? I take a whole foods prenatal, they are absorbed much better and your body can actual utilize them instead of peeing them out. I wouldn't recommend anything but. They're not making me nauseous or anything, and one of the most important things in the prenatal for me is the iron , but I've seen on many other forums women who just think they're not necessary after 12 weeks or so. I was just inquiring as to others thoughts:))

Yes gummies, they're now the big thing, even Tums come in gummy form now. I think I'll research the whole food one because I'm tired of wasting money but I really need them. Or maybe give the Flintstone vitamins a chance.

I have a problem digesting food period so this comes as no surprise to me or OB. But I recommend Vitafusion gummies to anyone pregnant or not, those gummies taste delicious!
    Seriously delicious. My DH thinks so too. I told him he probs shouldn't, but I researched it and it seems okay. Actually some sites recommended for both partners to take prenatals when TTC?
  • Options
    I'm still taking them although I'm less vigilant than I was in the first tri, or rather I'm less stressed about occasionally forgetting. 

I do seem to recall my doctor mentioning that it wasn't as important now…but he certainly wasn't saying to stop taking them.
    TTC 3/2012; IUI 2/26/14; EDD 11/23/14; DD born 11/21/14!!!
  • Options
    melsodmelsod member
    abbyful said:
    Nope. I've been on mine since a year before we started TTC DS (now almost 2), so since mid-2010. You should be on prenatal vitamins before getting pregnant, throughout your pregnancy, and while breastfeeding.
    Same for me.  Not sure why this is underlined!

I've been taking them since 1 yr before TTC DD1 = January 2009.  I have to take other meds daily so I always remember to take them.  I don't know why you would stop them after the 1st tri.  Dr always told me that the baby will always take what it needs from you so you need to make sure that you're getting enough of everything to keep yourself healthy in the long run.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    kfo22kfo22 member

I started getting a serious craving for lime salt, and my mom mentioned I might need more minerals. Turns out the prenatal gummies have none! So I'm also taking a women's multivitamin. I'm going to make sure it's okay with my midwife tomorrow. But for now, I'm not craving the salt as much! I would be pouring the stuff in my mouth at work haha!

• Options

I take the Trader Joe's prenatals because I was having the hardest time taking anything more than once a day and everything made me nauseous.  The TJs ones are not only easy on my stomach and you only take them once a day, but they are also some of the cheapest I have found at $11 for a 60 day supply.

I don't think you should stop taking prenatals though.  That just seems like a bad idea. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've been taking mine since we started trying to conceive. Vitamins were already part of morning routine for about a year before that so its not very often I forget. I never even thoughtof stopping when I hit the 2nd tri.

Good to know I should keep on them through breastfeeding though!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    take your prenatals unless they make you sick. i take them everynight before bed so i won't forget.
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    So where does it say here that it's ok to stop taking them?
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm definitely still taking them. In fact it's just a habit for me now. I had a TOUGH time taking them in the first trimester. I quite literally thought about taking them and would start gagging. It was really cute. But I persevered and now I never forget them. I am actually taking a prenatal vitamin and a separate Omega 3-DHA supplement.
  • Options
    I take them before bed and find that helps me remember and I can just sleep off the side effects. I took them well before pregnant and plan to continue after if breast feeding works. I've never heard of intentionally stopping them after a certain part of pregnancy. There is no way that I eat a perfectly balanced diet and I know that my baby can get the nutrients needed through the vitamins.
  • Options
    I have HG so it is virtually pointless for me to try to take them as they will be throw immediately back up.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    FhSTAR81 said:
    momtojad said:
    I have HG so it is virtually pointless for me to try to take them as they will be throw immediately back up.

Ditto
    :) I am to the point the other day the MFM was comparing my diet to that of a pregnant women in the cold war."They survived on 400 calories a day and birthed full term average weight babies, you will survive I promise"  It is a total different conversation then last time when we were going over diets of all these wonderful food I should be eating.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    I can't believe how some of you have really blow this out of whack ! And many people go on here looking for opinions of other women. Anybody who might think someone would use the internet or a forum for information is sorry for being so blunt an idiot. Many of us post on here for support , options and entertainment.
  • Options
    @melsod  I think this thread is about to get really ... interesting ... but I'm going to jump in off-topic anyway.  Ctrl + 'U' is the keyboard control to turn underline on and off.  FYI.  The comment box has tried to do that to me once or twice and the button isn't on the toolbar so it's the only way to turn it off.

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    First off I never said that I wasn't taking my prenatals. I was just simply asking if any women had stopped. Since a lot of you jumped to conclusions and pretty much just assumed that I was or wasn't doing something. I appreciate the posters that just said what they were doing or thought was right, as for some of the other posters that feel the need to take a jab a somebody when they get the chance, well I dont think anybody can appreciate them.
  • Options
    Yes. I realize that. But shocked I guess.. How many posters aren't on these forums for the right reasons:((
  • Options

I just want to echo what someone else said about taking the prenatal before bed.  I switched from morning to night, and it made a HUGE difference.  I'm actually holding it down now.  Also, I'm no doctor, but I have to agree that it seems to make no sense at all to stop taking your prenatal vitamin.  You're pregnant.  Take the prenatal.  It takes a second, and no harm can come of taking it (unless you're getting really nauseous, in which case, try taking it at night).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"