Adoption

Adoption Gift for older child

Anyone want to help with some suggestions on good gifts to give a family adopting an older child from overseas?  

A co-worker of mine is leaving next week to finalize the adoption and bring home his son (12yo) and I want to have a gift to give him on his return.  I'm asking people in the office to chip in so we can actually get something nice.

So far the only ideas I've come up with is to get them a family pass to a minor league baseball game in town, but that's only like $50.  I'm kind of worried that the crowds and noise of that might be too much for them though...   

For those of you who've adopted older children, what would have been nice to get for your family on return?  Or any ideas of gifts that might have been nice to have before going overseas?

TTC #1 9/11-12/12, 9/12 Dx: Hypothyroid + DOR (AMH .76), IUI #1 & #2 BFN's
1/13 Decided to pursue DIA, 4/13 Home study Approved 9/13 Matched!
10/13 DS home with us! 2/14 TPR completed  5/14 ADOPTION IS FINAL!
3/14 Surprise BFP 11/14 DD is here!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Adoption Gift for older child

• I did not adopt from overseas, but I would pick year/season passes to fun places. They may not use them right away, but perhaps in 6 months or so. Aquariums, zoos, etc. My favorite was the aquarium pass :)

Mother of two wonderful boys! Blessed through adoption.

• Honestly, when we first came home, we limited interactions with family and friends and only attended events that weren't too stimulating. The best thing I can think of would be something that could encourage the family to spend time together. For us, pool-time forced skin-to-skin contact and closeness, as the boys learned to swim. Sometimes, it was the only time of day when we were able to put our tensions aside and smile/laugh together, and the only time a day I could get a hug. Is there any way you could get them membership to a pool club or something similar. Ours also provided the kids a great, comfortable space to meet friends, without complicating the question of who belonged in our family/home.

Other than that, board games, cooked meals, or even something like cooking lessons (or lessons for anything else hands-on, where language isn't too necessary) could all be good ideas.
  • Loading the player...
  • Movie gift basket might work, or restaurant /grocery store GCs
  • My cousin adopted from overseas. Based on her situation I think having a few prepared meals or gift certificates to places that did take out/delivery would have been really helpful.  
  • A gift certificate for food that can be delivered...or if you have a lot of money collected, a photography session.
  • Great ideas everyone!  Lots of things I wouldn't have thought of!
  • If it's a gift specifically for the child, try and think of something that the child may attribute to being an American. I had a friend recently adopt from Africa and their son really wanted a DS so the Church got him one with a bunch of games. He was super excited.

• Guys, I have to say I am really disappointed in the people I work with right now.  Out of the 50+ people here, only FOUR managed to stop by over the last week to sign a card and give a $5-10 gift. 

I am trying to tell myself that maybe it's just that people here don't know (or like) the guy who is adopting and that's why they can't be bothered to send some congratulations...  It just makes me sad that so many could chip in 3 weeks ago when another co-worker had a biological child. I don't understand people today.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"