October 2013 Moms

Car Seat Safety Info

kimbo1216kimbo1216 member
edited December 2013 in October 2013 Moms
I promise I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but....

Since we are all there or getting there, I thought I'd make a car seat safety sticky.  This is by no means entirely comprehensive.  I've just picked a few things I thought were important.  Feel free to make suggestions on things you think should be added.

GOOD WEB SITES

GENERAL CAR SEAT SAFETY
https://www.carseat.org/

THE CAR SEAT LADY
https://www.thecarseatlady.com/

CAR SEATS FOR THE LITTLES FACEBOOK GROUP (I highly recommend joining if you haven't already, they have 20 techs that make sure to only provide fact based answers and opinions).
https://www.facebook.com/groups/CarSeatsForTheLittles/

CAR SEAT LAWS BY STATE
https://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/bystate/index.html

CAR SEAT CHECK UP EVENTS (A good place to find a tech near you)
https://www.safekids.org/events/field_type/check-event

GREAT VISUALS

AWESOME VISUAL GUIDE FOR PROPER CHILD PLACEMENT
https://dailymomtra.com/2011/03/30/the-picture-guide-to-car-seat-safety/

ANOTHER POSITIONING SITE
https://www.parents.com/blogs/goodyblog/2013/01/a-visual-guide-to-your-childs-car-safety/

ONE OF THE MANY REASONS YOU SHOULDN'T PUT AN INFANT CARRIER ON TOP OF A SHOPPING CART
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wzp-8V-vfNg

Instead...Just place the carrier inside the main basket.  Save large grocery trips for when you can leave baby at home or have a partner with you to push a second buggy or stroller.  Or you can always wear LO if you don't have a partner or someone to watch LO.  ;)

THE INFAMOUS VIDEO: Why extended RF is a good thing. (Warning: This video is extremely visually effective, but is rather sad or hard to watch for some.  But although a child is hurt, no one dies.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8

Re: Car Seat Safety Info

• Thanks for all of these.  =)

• Loading the player...
  • This is one horse that will never be beaten too much.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Your local fire department also does free car seat checks by appointment.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• JLW0504 said:

Your local fire department also does free car seat checks by appointment.

Adding on to this there are programs if you can not afford a car seat, DH's family work in fire/law enforcement, there are resources out there to help keep infants and children safe. Just ask if them and they will gladly point you in the right direction.
  • Thank you!
  • Also check with your local county health department. They may have child safety resources that can help you with these kinds of things.
  • Great resources! Thanks ladies!
  • JLW0504 said:

YouI local fire department also does free car seat checks by appointment.

I tried to go to my fire department before i had my baby & they said due to budget cuts they don't do it anymore. The closest check place was baby's r us 45 minutes away & they charge $10!
  • Thanks for the additions Amy.  If anyone ever finds something you think would be useful to add, please feel free to link it in a reply.  :)
  • Thanks for this thread! Almost an hour on google was no where near as helpful as this was!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had no idea about the shopping cart danger until just now! I can't believe there wasn't a warning in my manual. 
    November: Doing my own thing

• @LetsGoToDisney, the shopping cart one is less known because it's so common to put them on top.  At least down here it is.  I cringe when I see it now though. 

We did it a few times with DD1 and quickly stopped because we realized how dangerous it was.  It doesn't matter if it clicks on or not.  The top heavyiness alone is no bueno.  Plus, I was usually to short to see over the seat, so I couldn't steer very well.  And even if you think you will always be "right there", you may get distracted looking at something on the shelf or something.  It doesn't take long for something to happen that would cause the buggy to tip when that top heavy.

Just place the carrier in the main basket.  Save large grocery trips for when you can leave baby at home or have a partner with you to push a second buggy or stroller.  Or you can always wear LO if those are not options.
  • If carts actually frequently flipped like that it would also be unsafe to have your two year old up there.... just a thought... 
  • palm513 said:

If carts actually frequently flipped like that it would also be unsafe to have your two year old up there.... just a thought... 

A two yo sitting in the designated part is not the same thing as an infant sitting on top it in a carrier. The infant and carrier bring the weight much higher. The 2yo sits into the cart pushing their weight down.

The video is just ONE example of why it's a bad idea. And not all carts would do that. But if you don't know a cart will do that and you just blindly trust it, you could be in for a rude awakening.
  • I used this to show my husband where the straps should be and how tight they need to be. He always felt like he was getting the straps too tight. The part being down at a 3 year old's belly button bugs the shit out of me. Armpits!
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Recall alert! Combi Coccoro, Zeus Turn, and Zeus 360 affected. Seats can be used and fix kits will be available in a few days.

https://csftl.org/combi-coccoro-and-zeus-car-seat-recall/

(Mobile, sorry not clicky!)

• question: does a rear facing car seat have to be placed in the middle? I have an accord and there is no latch in the middle, but there are on the sides. It doesn't feel secure enough in the middle.
  • carawasa said:

question: does a rear facing car seat have to be placed in the middle? I have an accord and there is no latch in the middle, but there are on the sides. It doesn't feel secure enough in the middle.

No. The seat needs to be wherever you get the best install. Both my girls are rf on the outsides. Middle isn't even an option since we don't have two middles and they wouldn't fit.

I personally prefer latch to seatbelt install. I never feel like I get a good install with the belt. But if you do have to use the belt, make sure you lock the seatbelt (usually by pulling the strap all the way out and them letting it pull back in as much as possible).
  • @kimbo1216 thanks!! The seat in the middle locks and it is installed properly but the seatbelt had the part that crosses over your body which is making the seat lean. I'm going to switch it to the side as it has the latches. I feel like that would be more secure.
  • Can I ask a stupid question? In a convertible seat, can you use a coat on LO? I know you can't in the infant seat, but the convertible one you have to take them in and out of, and I live in MI, so coats are very necessary. If you can't, how do you handle to coat situation???
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • @ncase2‌, no coats. Period. In any seat. When it's cold here, I just wrap DD up in a blanket or coat and carry her put. Then remove it when I buckle her in. I *think* you can have one layer of fleece. But a good rule of thumb is: if you have to adjust the straps to fit their clothing, then it's a no-go.
  • @wedding06‌, depending on your height, I believe the "safer side" is drivers side because in an accident it's instinct to protect yourself. BUT if having a rf seat causes the driver to be too close to the wheel or be uncomfortable, then I believe passenger side would be safer. So I'm guessing in a small car, you will want to do passenger side in order to be able to safely keep LO rf longer.
  • I have a question. I've heard car seats have an expiration date, but I can't find the expiration date on the seat or on the manual. Where is this usually located?
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

• Jalee85 said:
    I have a question. I've heard car seats have an expiration date, but I can't find the expiration date on the seat or on the manual. Where is this usually located?

Mine is a sticker on the underside of the infant carrier.  If you cannot find an expiration date I think you can go to the mfr's website and enter the lot number of the seat to get the expiration date.  That should be on the seat as well.

I can't remember where it is on DS1's convertible (Britax Marathon) but I know it is there.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks @Kimbo1213! I wasn't sure, and I hate just looking at what other people do because I feel like every time I do that, I end up finding out it's bad!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Welcome Daniel! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • I just got dd the pria 70 and now that the weather is starting to warm up, I would like to start using it. I'm so sick of lugging around the damn infant seat! Anyways... How do you determine how far the seat is reclined? Our seat has three levels of recline and I have no idea which one to use!
  • spsp143 said:

I just got dd the pria 70 and now that the weather is starting to warm up, I would like to start using it. I'm so sick of lugging around the damn infant seat! Anyways... How do you determine how far the seat is reclined? Our seat has three levels of recline and I have no idea which one to use!

@spsp143‌, it just depends on your seat. There is no way we can tell you without knowing the seat. Most likely it will be the position that makes the seat the most reclined. But really you need to check and see what your manual says.
  • If it's within the guidelines, it's probably okay @wedding06.  I'm pretty sure you want there to be some give.  If it's too rigid then that's not good either.  However, if you think it's too loose, try putting your weight in the seat (I do it by pressing my knee in the seat) and then pulling up on the latch strap.
  • CatieGCatieG member
    edited May 2014
    wedding06 said:

Chicco NextFit question:

I installed the carseat last night and I followed the directions to a T and the base moves a little bit. It really wasn't a complicated install with the latch- latch both sides, pull to tighten one side then the other. I even uninstalled and re-did it just to make sure. It doesn't move further than the guidelines say is ok but it moves more than the base of our infant seat did. I am getting it inspected but waiting for the inspection office to call me back. In the meantime I will need to use it. Anyway, I know alot of people got this seat so I wondered how secure your's felt. 
    #ftmparanoia

Could you uninstall again? Make sure both sides 1 and 2 are completely loosened. Attach both sides and then pull out all the slack with side one. Make sure to pull a little on the LATCH strap to make sure all the slack is out. Now tighten with side 2. Also, while you're tightening, push down at the butt area with your hand and also make sure the foot end is up against the back of the car's seat. Does that make sense? Hope that helps. You should be able to tighten it correctly just by following the first part :)

ETA Auto correct is dumb.

• I know there has been a lot of discussion on the Chicco Nextfit and the Britax Marathon, but I am interested to know why people chose on over the other. I have researched and did the comparisons and I just can't decide. Some reviews say the Britax has less leg room. I am interested to hear opinions...
  • @SHAWNACPA, i wasn't personally looking at the NextFit, but I was looking at the Marathon.  I ruled out the Marathon after looking at them in person because the shell is so short and you pay so much more for it.  Plus, I hate the flimsy cup holder.

I opted for the Graco MySize 70 (it's one of the clones, called the Size4Me at BBB, the headwise at Target, the contender at Walmart, etc...).  Anyway, the shell height is about the same as the Marathon.  But the max height of the child in the Graco is higher than that of the Marathon.  I can't remember why now, but I want to say it was because of the head rest.

Plus, the Graco also has no re-thread adjustable straps just like the marathon.  And while it looks like it reclines a ton when looking at it in the store, it doesn't recline any more RF than the Britax when in the car.  I actually took them both out of the store and tried them in my car to be sure.  Oh and the Graco has a built in cup-holder vs the flimsy cup holder of the britax..  Don't go thinking cup holders are just for cups.  DD1 stores all kinds of little things in there.  She loves her cup holders. lol.

I ultimately chose the Graco for the reasons above plus the fact it was like $100 less.  I bought ours when it was on sale at BRU for $150.  They even let me use my 20% off coupon (even thought I don't think they were suppose to) which brought it down to $120.

Either way, you can't really go wrong imo.  You need to purchase what fits your car and your needs and your budget.  All seats pass the same safety tests.  One is not necessarily better or safer than the other.  It's about getting the safest one for your car and needs.

Good luck!
  • @kimbo1216 - Thanks for the input. I know I am way overthinking this, but it is a lot of money, they have to last for several years, and they carry my most prized possession!! :) So, I want to make sure I think of everything before I make a decision.

Thanks again.

• kimbo1216kimbo1216 member
    edited June 2014
    No worries @SHAWNACPA.  I did all my over thinking on car seats with my first. lol.  ;)  And maybe a little with this one too.  :P 

Anyway.  I know Britaxes are raved about.  They are perfectly great seats.  Our infant seat this time is Britax. But you don't have to pay for them if they aren't in the budget.  Other seats on the market are just as good.  Get what works for you in your budget!

But seriously.  Go to BBB or BRU if you have one.  They will get someone to bring the seats out to your car so you can test them out in your car.
  • CatieGCatieG member
    Chicco NextFit or Graco Headwise/Size4Me etc. over Britax convertibles any day! Yes, it's the RF and FF limits that swayed me (although Britax wasn't really a contender). The RF limits on the Britax are much lower since the seat is outgrown when the top of the head reaches 1" below the top of the shell. The Graco and Chicco allow for use also with the 1" rule but from the top of the extended headrest. They also have much more ample legroom. While every RFer will
    Eventually put their legs up the back of the seat or sit cross legged, the Britax makes this very uncomfortable, whereas in the others, very much comfortable ;)
    We got the Chicco over the Graco because DD acted like she was more comfortable in the NextFit.

• We went with the Britax. What swayed me was the safety. This explains it better than I can (from Amazon): Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash.
    Other seats only had plastic bars. There was something else with the safety too, but I don't remember off the top of my head...
    --------------------------------------------------------------

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We went with the Britax. What swayed me was the safety. This explains it better than I can (from Amazon): Integrated Steel Bars strengthen the connection to the vehicle and reduce forward flexing of the child seat during a crash.
    Other seats only had plastic bars. There was something else with the safety too, but I don't remember off the top of my head...

Just FYI...when someone tried to claim one car seat is safer than another on CSFTL, the car seat techs always jump in and say that that is not a proven statement because all market car seats must pass the same safety tests. Anything claimed beyond that is manufacturer claimed. Not objectively tested.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"