August 2013 Moms

BTDT Mamas - Shoe/Walking Question

I was just curious when you introduced shoes into walking. Also what did you find was the best shoe brand for first learning to walk in shoes? 

I'm in no way in any rush to stick shoes on him but I decided to do some reading this morning and was curious to hear from some mama's on the board when they started shoes on their walking babes. :) 

Re: BTDT Mamas - Shoe/Walking Question

• I keep my babes barefoot as long as possible. I only put shoes on if we were in public to appease judgey mcjudgersons or if the weather dictated it.

I stick with soft soled leather shoes. Robeez, Umi, See Kai Run, PediPed, ect.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I keep my babes barefoot as long as possible. I only put shoes on if we were in public to appease judgey mcjudgersons or if the weather dictated it.

I stick with soft soled leather shoes. Robeez, Umi, See Kai Run, PediPed, ect.
    Was it a huge difference for them to learn between being barefoot and the soft soles? 

• Loading the player...
  • I honestly don't know. I know I notice a difference when I'm barefoot so I would imagine that it is. 

DD1 didn't walk until 15 months so it was the middle of summer and easy for her to be barefoot 90% of the time. DD2 isn't walking yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if she starts in the next couple of months. So another barefoot learner. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS1 started walking in winter so we would put a soft soled shoe on him. We bought a pair at Gap that he wore at first but then switched to a pair from Stride Rite. Stride Rite is great because they will measure your kids feet and they can help you figure out the best type for your kids age/walking ability, etc. They can be a bit pricey though. But at this point, you really only need one pair.
  • ludaliludali member
    Once my nieces were both walking fairly well, my sis went to Stride Rite - they know what they're doing for a kid's feet!  :-)  Not sure what I'll do with DD - being in daycare, she'll need something on those tootsies once she's taking steps!

• KatieS7 said:
    DD1 was in soft soled shoes for several months after learning how to walk. It did take her a little bit to figure out real shoes. I remember putting on a pair of sneakers for the first time and she just stood there and cried. She absolutely refused to walk in them for about a week but eventually got over it.
    I feel like this is going to be us! He kicks off any shoes he has ASAP when we are out. I just gave up. I've only had him try taking steps in shoes a few times and he seems like a drunk old man. I just don't want to hold him back by sticking shoes on him too early or even too late. I know it'll be an adjustment either way though. :P 

• DS1 started walking in winter so we would put a soft soled shoe on him. We bought a pair at Gap that he wore at first but then switched to a pair from Stride Rite. Stride Rite is great because they will measure your kids feet and they can help you figure out the best type for your kids age/walking ability, etc. They can be a bit pricey though. But at this point, you really only need one pair.
    I've also heard that Stride Rite is the way to go from several IRL mommy friends.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• V&G101808 said:
    DS1 started walking in winter so we would put a soft soled shoe on him. We bought a pair at Gap that he wore at first but then switched to a pair from Stride Rite. Stride Rite is great because they will measure your kids feet and they can help you figure out the best type for your kids age/walking ability, etc. They can be a bit pricey though. But at this point, you really only need one pair.
    I've also heard that Stride Rite is the way to go from several IRL mommy friends.
    Yeah. I've heard this too. My grandmother even swore by them and always bought my sister's kids their first pairs when they started walking. :) 

• The shoe thing is a really weird hot button topic for some, but I had/have early walkers and they needed shoes. I had DS1 in robeez pre walking...mostly just because they had Cookie Monster on them and they were cute...He started walking at 10 months and we went to Stride Rite for his first shoes. Not that it matters much now since they will grow so quickly and aren't too active, but IMO stride rite has the best shoes for toddlers. I have bought cheaper pairs for DS1 and they fall apart quickly. I also love their "check fit" system. Very easy to tell when your little dude (or gal) needs new sneakers. DS2 has tried taking a step after letting go of the couch, so we will probably be in Stride Rite for his first real pair of shoes in the next month or so.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• @BlueJewelM I remember talking with you before about your DS1 being very active and less chatty. We're definitely on that route! DS is walking across the living room already and we're at 9.5 months. He just won't stop going. I was just thinking about it this morning and I was really curious if putting on shoes puts a huge burden on their learning to walk. I don't want to hold DS back but I also want to make sure his footies are protected when he starts walking outside of the house. 

We'll definitely look into Stride Rite. Also.. I hear AlabamaJune has some cute shoes too! ;) 

• C is barefoot at home, but always wears shoes in public. She has been walking for a few weeks now, and pulling up/standing for months. I don't want her bare feet on the ground or icky floor. She wears sandals and flip flops. I never had issues with my other kids feet and did the same.

• See, I'm not impressed with Stride Rite. They ALWAYS measured DD1's foot as wide and shockingly, the wide shoes were never on sale. Any place else I took her to have her foot measured they never said she required wide shoes and she's never complained of shoes pinching. (Now that she's able to.) I just felt like SR was trying to rip me off. 

She's also never, ever liked sneakers. Anything with a stiff sole- snow boots, sneakers, ect- she won't wear. Granted, she's a girly girl through and through and would much prefer dress shoes to sneakers. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w

Pregnancy Ticker
  • BellaOsoBellaOso member
    edited June 2014
    I'm a big believer in as close to barefoot for as long as possible. I just ordered some AlabamaJunes and I have Robeez through 2 years.

I also wear "barefoot" shoes for myself. :)

ETA: Of course when working with horses I am in boots. The rest of the time I use my "barefoot" shoes.

• Barefoot as much as possible. First shoes we do Crocs. They're lightweight so don't bother LO much. Once DD1 was walking a lot while out, we got stride rite, and I've since discovered See kai run and will prob do those for DD2 (when hand me down shoes aren't in good shape--early shoes don't get heavy use)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• We stay barefoot for as long as possible and then soft soled shoes as long as possible. I'm not particular about the brand as long as I can fold the shoe in half easily (my test for it being soft-soled / not stiff) then I'm good.

I still prefer a flexible sole for my 4yo as much as possible.

Also try Nordstrom Rack for pricey shoes at cheaper prices. They go through them so quickly I hate to spend the $$.

• Thanks, @carrotcake06! Also, you interested in being added to the Birthday google doc? I know your littles are approaching one year fast! :) 

• peteyrishapeteyrisha member
    edited June 2014
    I just ordered L some Stride Rite sandals. He is standing and I wanted him to have shoes on when we are out and about. Otherwise he is barefoot at home. I have some Robeez for him that were a gift but they don't fit! He does not have the typical chunky baby foot so they are just way too wide and too long. They are the 6-12 month size so I am at a loss. Stride Rite measured him to be a size 4.5 though and they fit much better. I am hoping we can use the Robeez this fall. I don't want them to go to waste!

Edit: In my siggy pic he was 7 months and those shoes were just used for pics! They are hard-soled Adidas that were a gift so we wanted to make sure he at least took a pic in them. Otherwise we never used them. :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"