Options

UO Thursday

Let's hear em, ladies. B-)
imageimage

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsL2B said:

I think parking lot striping should be legally enforced. I am so sick of jerks in big trucks taking up multiple compact car spaces.

I daresay this is not an unpopular opinion. We all get irrationally angry at the assholes outside the lines. ;)

*January Siggy Challenge - Snow Fails*

imageimageimage

• Options
    starybstaryb member

@emerald27, I agree, DH keeps getting worked up about all of the "boy clothes" I keep putting on our registry. Just because they're blue doesn't mean they're boy clothes. As for pink I love it but I want my daughter to have some variety. When the time comes I'll definitely take her opinion into account. 

My UO is that I hate compliments. I don't know how to respond to them. I feel like I'm supposed to say a compliment back but that it would be insincere. Like, oh you like my outfit, thanks now I suddenly like your shoes. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them, they just make for awkward conversation. I especially hate when it leads to small talk with a stranger.

• Options
    staryb said:

@emerald27, I agree, DH keeps getting worked up about all of the "boy clothes" I keep putting on our registry. Just because they're blue doesn't mean they're boy clothes. As for pink I love it but I want my daughter to have some variety. When the time comes I'll definitely take her opinion into account. 

My UO is that I hate compliments. I don't know how to respond to them. I feel like I'm supposed to say a compliment back but that it would be insincere. Like, oh you like my outfit, thanks now I suddenly like your shoes. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate them, they just make for awkward conversation. I especially hate when it leads to small talk with a stranger.
    My DH is the opposite. We have a daughter already and are having a son, and DH, who is a bit of a cheapskate, is pushing for us to just use the pink and/or frilly onesies and sleepers until he's 1. I consider myself progressive on gender issues, but I'm just not quite cool with that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    MrsL2B said:
    I think parking lot striping should be legally enforced. I am so sick of jerks in big trucks taking up multiple compact car spaces.
    All I'm saying is I see plenty of "jerks" in cars take up multiple spots as well. Yes, some parking spaces/lots are small and those of us "jerks" who have bigger trucks/SUV's must take up 2 spots but that's on whoever designed the small parking spaces/lots.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

@Emerald27 I totally agree. Especially when the kid wants it, you didn't get pink so they could grow into the person they want to be. They want to be a person who likes pink and you won't let them? seems hypocritical to me!

Side note- DH's favorite color is pink! our wedding colors were pink and green b/c HE wanted the pink accents. Green is my favorite color, and will be the nursurey color. Not because of gender steryotypes/staying neutral, but because I like looking at it and I will be in that room A LOT.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic 

baby development

• Options

I don't like iced tea. Living in South Louisiana, when someone finds out, you'd think I shot their mother.

Come sit next to me. I'm also a Southerner and hate sweet tea. It tastes like nasty sugar water to me. 
    Pulling up a chair
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Options
    ss265 said:
    My UO is that I think it's an antiquated practice for a woman to automatically take her husband's last name when she gets married and I am surprised that it is still so common in today's society.
    I took my husband's last name b/c I want to have the same last name as my children. Plus I just wasn't that attached to my maiden name. My mom remarried when I was 3 so I've always had a different last name than her which always caused someone to automatically use her last name for me or my last name for her. Not a huge problem in the grand scheme of things, just annoying after 30 years.

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since Jan '13

BFP#1 - EDD 3/24/14 - d&c 7w5d

BFP#2 - EDD 6/14/14 - cp 4w2d

BFP#3 - EDD 10/28/14 - It's a BOY!!! - Born 10/26/14

Anniversary

• Options

My (probably very around TB) UO is DH and I will prefer for our children to go to private school.

**TTC since 10/2009** **BFP 4/15/12- Dx Molar Pregnancy- Surgery 5/15/12 & 5/22/12** **BFP 1/23/14- 1st Beta (1/24/14) 171 2nd Beta (1/28/14) 860** Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I don't like iced tea. Living in South Louisiana, when someone finds out, you'd think I shot their mother.
    Come sit next to me. I'm also a Southerner and hate sweet tea. It tastes like nasty sugar water to me. 
    Pulling up a chair
    BLASPHEMERS!!!! lol

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• Options

I don't like zulily.  (I know!)

I'm still trying to figure out how to opt out of those stupid daily emails!!! 

TTC since Jan '13

Anniversary

• Options
    vreker said:
    I daresay this is not an unpopular opinion. We all get irrationally angry at the assholes outside the lines. ;)

I drive a prius and make sure to back into a spot so they can't get into their drivers side door...while being totally within the spot they were trying to not have someone park in, yay small car! I'm that guy. Usually I find this is more common with luxury cars, not necesarily big trucks. We also have a big truck, but I ALWAYS make sure to park fully in one spot, as difficult as it is!
    I did this once and it totally backfired on me. I was at the gym and some douche bag parked his car diagonally covering part of three spaces, so I pulled my tiny car in one of the spaces he was trying to block. I felt so smug, until I came back out and he had poured used chewing tobacco all over my car. It was super gross. Now I just avoid those jerks.
    That is disgusting! People are horrible.
  • Options

I think gay marriage should be 100% legal across the United States. I think there should be a federal law protecting the right for gays and lesbians to marry, too, not just individual state laws. The fact is, it's a violation of the Constitution to bar gay people from being married and enjoying the legal benefits that heterosexual married couples receive (not to mention the cruelty of denying gay couples the ability to celebrate their love just like everyone else).

If people do not agree with gay marriage based on their religious beliefs, that's fine and good for them, but there's a reason we have a separation of church and state in this country, and this is a fine example of that needing to be exercised.

Also, I think people who feel gay marriage threatens the sanctity of heterosexual marriage are hypocrites and full of shit. If that's the case, then divorce needs to be banned, common-law marriage needs to be banned, plural marriage (like Sister Wives and all those folks) needs to be banned, etc. If you think the integrity of your marriage is threatened by two gay people who love each other getting married, you've got much bigger problems to deal with than marriage equality.
    It makes me very sad that this is an unpopular opinion and not just common decency in regards to human rights.

• Options

My UO - Homeschooling should be conducted by parents who have completed high school or have at least a high school equivalent IQ.

This statement is based on two family connections that I feel absolutely should not be homeschooling because they are not helping their kids at all (their own math and language skills are severely lacking).  I don't believe either one of them follows a specific curriculum, which I think could help. 

My qualifiers - I am very much pro-homeschooling and I have not done a lot of research on requirements because it's not going to be an option for us.  This opinion is based solely on my observations of these two families.  I KNOW there are great homeschooling parents out there - my sister is one of them!

Edited because spelling is hard.

=D>

View Full Size Image
  • Options
    ADH0906 said:
    I think gay marriage should be 100% legal across the United States. I think there should be a federal law protecting the right for gays and lesbians to marry, too, not just individual state laws. The fact is, it's a violation of the Constitution to bar gay people from being married and enjoying the legal benefits that heterosexual married couples receive (not to mention the cruelty of denying gay couples the ability to celebrate their love just like everyone else).

If people do not agree with gay marriage based on their religious beliefs, that's fine and good for them, but there's a reason we have a separation of church and state in this country, and this is a fine example of that needing to be exercised.

Also, I think people who feel gay marriage threatens the sanctity of heterosexual marriage are hypocrites and full of shit. If that's the case, then divorce needs to be banned, common-law marriage needs to be banned, plural marriage (like Sister Wives and all those folks) needs to be banned, etc. If you think the integrity of your marriage is threatened by two gay people who love each other getting married, you've got much bigger problems to deal with than marriage equality.
    I'm sad that this is considered a UO.
    It definitely is where I live. :(
    It's the same here, too. I moved from the mid west to Texas and I have such a hard time even wrapping my head around some of the views that are popular here.
  • Options
    ss265ss265 member

I took my husband's name when we got married, for many of the reasons previously stated (children having same last name, etc.). I also don't think it's a big deal. If you don't want to, don't, if you do, go for it. I get the whole patriarchy argument, but at the same time, my maiden name is my father's last name, and his father's last name--there are no last names that wholly belong to women. 

That said, I do still use my maiden name professionally, but that's because I'm a writer and have been published under that name and didn't want confusion.

In an ideal world, I would have liked our kids to have a name that's a combination of my last name and DH's last name (not necessarily hyphenated because that's a pain). However my husband was against it and I am actually not all that attached to my last name anyway so I let it go. I understand that it's a personal choice and I don't have any judgments against women who do it, I am just surprised that it is so prevalent.

I should also add that where I grew up, it is very uncommon for a women to take her husband's name (I honestly can't think of a single person I know who took her husband's last name) which is likely why the practice seems strange to me.

• Options
    On the Maiden name thing mine is incredibly long winded. It was important to DH that we share the same name so I took. No big deal to me, I am still my maiden name and refer to myself as being one. What I do think is dumb is women who want to marry their BF and they complain for YEARS that he hasn't proposed. SO PROPOSE TO HIM! I did! What's the big deal? Why are you building up this big romantic moment? Life does not have to be a constant Hallmark movie!

Also on the gay marriage thing I live in the Mid West and it is not a popular opinion out here, I would be in the minority there. I have a friend on Facebook who is very religious and very conservative, like I don't dance and I don't dress my kids up for Halloween because it's celebrating the devil. She has the nerve to compare gay people wanting to get married to people wanting to marry CHILDREN and FRIGGIN ANIMALS! I was just really disgusted by that. 
  • Options
    99% of the time I hate buying something used (craigslist, fb buy/sell groups, etc.) People are high on crack for what they want for used shit. I was just on CL looking for some good baby deals and some fool wanted $50 for a used body pillow. Barf! Or, for example, I do not think buying a used breast pump for $175 is a good deal. I'd rather spend the extra $50 and get it new.
    I completely agree with you. I prefer new anyway but my mom sends me no less than 5 ads a day from CL. I'm sorry, while I wholeheartedly appreciate any gently used items we receive (which hasn't been much), I just prefer to spend the money and know I'm getting something new.

• Options
    youngin12 said:

99% of the time I hate buying something used (craigslist, fb buy/sell groups, etc.)

People are high on crack for what they want for used shit. I was just on CL looking for some good baby deals and some fool wanted $50 for a used body pillow. Barf! Or, for example, I do not think buying a used breast pump for $175 is a good deal. I'd rather spend the extra $50 and get it new.

I completely agree with you. I prefer new anyway but my mom sends me no less than 5 ads a day from CL. I'm sorry, while I wholeheartedly appreciate any gently used items we receive (which hasn't been much), I just prefer to spend the money and know I'm getting something new.

There are some things I don't mind buying used...I will usually hit up consignment salds for clothes for my DD, but some things just shouldn't be resold. I watched an episode of 16 & pregnant recently where the mom bought a used crib mattress that looked like it was from 1986 AND it was infested with roaches!! For $30!!

image         image

• Options
    apk4 said:
    ADH0906 said:

I'm sad that this is considered a UO.
    It definitely is where I live. :(
    It's the same here, too. I moved from the mid west to Texas and I have such a hard time even wrapping my head around some of the views that are popular here.
    Mid west to SE Texas here too! I see and hear soo much stuff that makes me  :-O and go 'okay then...'  Eeek!
  • Options

I don't like zulily.  (I know!)

The few times I've ordered from them it took months to get the stuff in. When I order something, I want it soon, not next season.
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"