Homeschooling
Options

How do you homeschool with babies in tow?

I started preschool with DD1 right after she turned 3. DS was 11 mos and I was pregnant. We mainly did/do letters/numbers, crafts, sensory activites, etc, so nothing major. I used to prep after I put her and DS down for bed, and we did school during DS's nap. However, I have a 1.5 y/o and a 2 m/o now and I'm finding any time I have left in the evening goes toward sleeping. How do you prep, let alone have time to "teach," when you're up all night with babies and don't have more than a few seconds here or there during the day without a child in your arms?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How do you homeschool with babies in tow?

• Options
    When they are small, I use a carrier, specifically my Ergo, and then go about my business.  They will just nap in there and be perfectly content so I can teach lessons.  Prep is usually done on the weekends (Sunday night) when DH is home to help out.  Also, nursing time is a great time to get reading work done because the baby is content and I'm sitting anyways.

• Options
    barnwifebarnwife member
    edited June 2014
    Well, we don't officially school yet (J. will be 4 this summer). The only "school" we do is reading (we read a lot, especially when I am nursing) and calendar time.

For us, calendar time is about praying for someone (our church puts out a prayer calendar. We pray for whomever is listed each day. Then we talk about the days of the week and add that day's number to the calendar. Really, I just want them to have the habit of praying for others. 

The math, days of the week, etc...from calendar time are just an easy bonus.

ETA: You have a baby...a tiny baby! You are in NB survival mode. Declare that it is summer vacation (or "mom needs her sanity" vacation. Come back to school that needs prep in a few months. For now, school can be read alouds and living life!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"