Attachment Parenting

Toddler Bedtime Ideas?

I need some fresh ideas, ladies. I'm all out. ;)

DS (2.5yo) turns into a wild man when the lights go out, and bedtime takes 1-2 hours! Our routine is bath (a few nights a week), new diaper, pjs, brush teeth, book with daddy, lights out and snuggle while mommy or daddy sings. We've been doing the snuggling part together lately to try to help DS get used to the idea of daddy doing bedtime: new baby due in October.

DS is in his own twin floor bed in his own room, and once he's asleep, I go to my own bed across the hall. When/if he wakes and calls for me, I go to him and snuggle him back to sleep. No problem.

So back to my wild bedtime man. He giggles and jumps around on the bed, kicking (sometimes getting me in the tummy) and elbowing (sometimes getting me in the boob) and changing direction. He screams like he's being murdered and cries when I hold him still to "snuggle" him to sleep. Eventually he does settle down and lay next to me, but then he sings or counts the stars on his ceiling or tells himself a story or plays with his toes. Meanwhile I feel like I've ridden in a rodeo!

He falls asleep and sleeps happily all night, wakes cheerful in the morning, but DH was asking me tonight; how long can this phase last?! It's not a fun one.

So if you've made it this far, here is my question:

I need some fresh ideas for getting DS ready for and into bed so that I don't get beaten up by tiny limbs and he doesn't feel like bedtime is traumatic. Right now I'm laying in my own bed, having told him that if I had to ask him to lay down one more time, I would leave the room, and he is talking to himself laying in his own bed...hasn't complained yet. ;)
imageimage

Re: Toddler Bedtime Ideas?

• DD does something like this.  The 4yr-old's version.  If she's being too rowdy, I leave the bed (and sit on the side); she has to stay in bed.  If she's way too rowdy, I'll leave the room for a few minutes, even if she's screaming bloody murder (which she probably would) and cry like I had killed something.  But I'm not staying around while I might get injured.  It's a deeply irritating thing for me, and I simply won't do it.  It took a number of weeks for her to figure out how to manage herself well enough for it not to happen regularly (and that was back when she was 2), but it still pops up from time to time.

I have no other useful suggestions.  I'm waiting for time for her to outgrow the wild crazy, "I WILL NOT FALL ASLEEP EVER!" fits to subside.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i will be watching this thread because i am having the same issues with my 21 month old- he is wacky crazy at night and it takes sooooooo long to settle him. we bedshare, though. DS does not want to miss anything and just does not want to go to sleep if anyone else is awake. he also squirms and kicks and cries if i hold him still. earlier bedtime does not work. we have to lie there with him in the dark until he basically passes out from exhaustion. i think long naps (generally 2 hrs) at daycare might be contributing, but i feel like it'd be kind of a dick move to ask them to wake him up after an hour.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS still naps 2hrs+ every day. And he still really needs it: otherwise he's cranky and impossible from 4pm until he passes out waaay early for bedtime. Then he's up before the sun the next day. So we are definitely not ready to drop that nap!

Maybe it's worth it to wake him after an hour? So that he gets a good break for sleep but is tired at bedtime? I don't know.

Last night, we spent a long time with him in his room and me in mine, talking across the hall. When I checked on him, he was laying down under his blanket (which he kicks them off in order to roughhouse) calmly: why can he be calm when I'm not there and he's crazy when I am? ~X(

I eventually did snuggle him to sleep instead of just letting him fall asleep on his own, but maybe that is a possible direction for us. My only concern would be enforcing that he has to stay in his bed. That could be a struggle.

Thanks for the advice ladies, and keep it coming! Toddlers are so much harder than infants! Lol
    imageimage
  • aglennaglenn member

DD reached a point somewhere around age 2 where she would not go to sleep with me in the room.  If I left it made things go so much faster.  We would do the whole bedtime routine, turn the lights out, and snuggle for a few minutes.  Then I would give her hugs and tell her good night, and go.  (We talked about this new routine prior to bedtime for the first few nights so it wasn't a surprise).  I was sort of shocked by how much of a difference it made.  Yes, some nights she would get up 1,000 times before giving up and going to sleep, but most of the time she calmed down quickly and drifted off. 

DD is not a good sleeper at all, so take any sleep advice from me with a grain of salt, but that was our experience.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We really need to wind our guy down before bed.  It's like he gets a second wind after dinner and wants to run! play! jump! climb! dive!

One of the things we instituted was some "good night stretches" which we found on our On Demand Sprout channel.  (They're also available online).  It works well for us, because it gives him a chance to be physical, but not in a way that's going to rev him up.    I have no affiliation to Sprout - so if you already do/know some yoga, you could just do that with your son.  I resort to the program because it knows how to break down the moves for toddlers, as opposed to me figuring out what good poses would be.  But I do end with "corpse pose" which isn't in the program, but a great way to get them to lie down and start relaxing for bed.  (We do this post bath/teeth brushing, but before story time).
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We stopped snuggling to bed around 17 months because of the same issue. I leave the room if he gets too wild as well. Either DH or I will read 3 books in bed, then we turn out the light and we will lie down and talk about our day in the dark for 10-15 mins. Rub his back or a few mins, kiss him and leave. A lot of nights he will talk himself to sleep...if he gets out of bed, I just lead him back in and tuck him in. When he was smaller, I used a baby gate so he would "explore" in the middle of the night but I didn't force him to stay in bed. He fell asleep on the floor once or twice but wasn't crying or upset, just playing. If he cried or was upset, I would always go in and give hugs and rub his back a bit. He also has a twilight turtle and a musical projector that he can turn on himself.

• Cool ideas, ladies. Thanks!

I love the idea of doing some stretches or something before bed. Will check out sprout!

We had an interesting naptime today. He kicked me in the stomach (by accident...just being a kid) and I told him that if he couldn't be calm I would leave. He continued to be crazy, so I got up and left the room. He started to follow me, and I told him firmly to lay down. He listened! And I sat in the other room for a few minutes. He didn't cry or call for me, so I went to check on him and he was asleep!

My new plan is to try adding some stretches or something to the bedtime routine, and to require that he be calm and gentle for me to stay. If he wants me to come back, I will, but he'll have to be calm and gentle. I'll gently remove myself from the room if he's too rowdy, and he can either calm down and welcome me back or fall asleep on his own. :)
    imageimage
  • Awesome!

• yeah.yeah. member
    edited June 2014
    What happens if you leave him?

DD2 went through a (long) phase of this. I finally told her that if she couldn't lay still and try to go to sleep, I couldn't stay with her anymore (which, frankly, is what I wanted at that point). She didn't, I kissed her and left, and bedtime was a breeze again.

There comes a point where most kids need to wind down on their own before falling asleep. It sounds like your guy might be there.
  • yeah. said:

What happens if you leave him?

DD2 went through a (long) phase of this. I finally told her that if she couldn't lay still and try to go to sleep, I couldn't stay with her anymore (which, frankly, is what I wanted at that point). She didn't, I kissed her and left, and bedtime was a breeze again.

There comes a point where most kids need to wind down on their own before falling asleep. It sounds like your guy might be there.
    So far, nothing wild happens when I leave. He says "where are you?" and from my bed across the hall, I can tell him that I'm in the "big bed" and does he need me? We've talked back and forth a bit, but there's been no crying or anything. If he cried or asked for me, I would go to him.

I think you're right that he's getting to the point where he just needs a little space. Hard to believe, because he has been glued to me his whole life and hasn't really even wanted to play independently until recently. Kid's growing up, I guess!
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"